Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 05:08 PM

236 posts, read 159,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ I know I would definitely expect a rate increase.

If you've had LTCI since you were 50, and the new company has to take you on at 65.
It knows you may have at least a couple of conditions you didn't have at 50.

Either way the company wins.
-- It can up the premium, and you pay more. It wins.
-- If you don't want to pay more, you can agree to less coverage. It wins.

That's just life and business, I guess.

That's why it's important to buy insurance from good insurance companies, not lousy insurance companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 05:52 PM

535 posts, read 343,660 times
Gensworth.
Expensive, but I have a spine condition and have had cervical spine surgery.
I am hoping that I won't need the long-term care.
I have it, just in case.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:11 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
So in light of this thread I did reach out to AARP and aaltci (American Association for ltci) and had some quotes prepared for me.

picked two insurance companies Mutual of Omaha and Transamerica. just as a benchmark. we picked a total "pool" of money of 200K (which according to the presentation will kick out 4500 bucks a month for 3.7 years) enough for in home "aide" and half of what is necessary for nursing home. 90 day wait. no inflation rider.

I got two quotes. 4200 and 5000 annually. they did say premiums would not go up. I pass as I still like my plan better. I did ask the agent at what age did most folks begin benefits. He's going to get back to me at that. My reasoning is if most women dont need care until they are 75, that's 20 years of kicking out 4200 bucks a year.

They also ran a simulation including a 2% and 3% inflation rider.

I've got one more meeting with New York life to see what they say.

So, I still think the plan I have is better for me but I'll check again when I hit 60 in a few years.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:22 PM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
being in ny i would have no interest in taking any plan that was not a partnership plan . to me the perks are worth more than the few years insurance

Old 08-31-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So in light of this thread I did reach out to AARP and aaltci (American Association for ltci) and had some quotes prepared for me.

picked two insurance companies Mutual of Omaha and Transamerica. just as a benchmark. we picked a total "pool" of money of 200K (which according to the presentation will kick out 4500 bucks a month for 3.7 years) enough for in home "aide" and half of what is necessary for nursing home. 90 day wait. no inflation rider.

I got two quotes. 4200 and 5000 annually. they did say premiums would not go up. I pass as I still like my plan better. I did ask the agent at what age did most folks begin benefits. He's going to get back to me at that. My reasoning is if most women dont need care until they are 75, that's 20 years of kicking out 4200 bucks a year.

So, I still think the plan I have is better for me but I'll check again when I hit 60 in a few years.

Whoever gave you those quotes doesn't know what they are doing.
Those rates are more than double the actual rates.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Here are the actual rates.
The rates are set by the insurance company, not the agent.
I wonder why the agent would quote you rates that are more than twice the actual rates.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:04 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCShop View Post
Here are the actual rates.
The rates are set by the insurance company, not the agent.
I wonder why the agent would quote you rates that are more than twice the actual rates.
Lol I hate insurance agents. I have a meeting next week with AARP.
Ill continue to shop around. I'm also meeting with my fp, see what he comes up with.

**sighs***

I think ill spend all my money on whiskey and chocolates

Old 08-31-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Ill continue to shop around. I'm also meeting with my fp, see what he comes up with.

**sighs***

It's pretty weird that the agent you spoke with would give you rates that were almost 3x higher than the actual rates.

very strange.

It's hard to make a right decision if you have wrong information.

.... and not all insurance agents are bad. ;-)

Old 09-02-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:

**sighs***

I wouldn't waste my time on the AARP policy.
You can get comparable benefits from other leading insurance companies for about half the cost of the AARP policy.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:46 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
We are big fans of LTCI. Even if we never use it, the cost vs peace of mind ratio is worthwhile.

We bought John Hancock, LIBOR-indexed LTC policies in 2008 (60/64). These seem to be pretty good policies with a shareable 6-year coverage period and a combined annual cost of about $4K for both policies.

Over 20-years, our combined total premiums of $80K is about equal today's cost of 1-year nursing home stay! Given today's increased life expectancy, plus the high probability we will never qualify for Medicaid, our LTC policies will likely prove to be an excellent investment. (We've also got a LTC rider on a lifetime annuity with SBL that will double the annuity income over 3-years if basic incapacity requirements are met.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement