Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 01:55 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times

Advertisements

I have a VOIP line because it came with my internet,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 02:17 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes - oh and if you want it in case power goes out - make sure you have a corded phone that works without a power base - the old fashioned kind. They can still be found at Walmart.

They had a segment on one of the national news channel about one guy in a Florida Keys community that was very popular because he had a landline and regular phone, so people were using him as their base to get in touch with others.
In many areas, if the power goes out so does cable and phone as the lines are all on the same poles. Good luck finding a corded phone! My WalMart does not carry them.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:19 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We dropped our landline when we started snowbirding, it was an expense we didn't need. Making the switch to just cell phones only was easy, but it was a hard decision to make after having the same number for >32 years.

The only issue I have is with internet providers that try to force me into a triple play package when I only want basic channels (for now) and internet. They need to get with the times.
Sorry about losing your LL number. When we dropped our landline, I wanted to keep that number so I ported it to my smartphone. It was easy to do with Verizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes - oh and if you want it in case power goes out - make sure you have a corded phone that works without a power base - the old fashioned kind. They can still be found at Walmart.

They had a segment on one of the national news channel about one guy in a Florida Keys community that was very popular because he had a landline and regular phone, so people were using him as their base to get in touch with others.
Depends where you live. Our local towers have power backups. We've lost power a number of times with no loss of cell service. But then again we don't live in FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
A smart/cell phone isn't just a phone, it's a portable computer. And it's worth every penny, at least to me. I really don't know how anyone can really function in today's society without it. And when I was I the hospital it was my link to communicate with friends, etc.
We love our iPhones!
A number of years ago we took long trip and as an experiment we did not take our laptop, reading materials or Bible, no maps or tour books, no camera, just our iPhones. Did just fine. Emails, internet stuff, read the news, watched tv and movies, found the nearest sushi place, made motel reservations and the phone told us how to get there. Took great pictures and shared them online. I could go on...

Posted from my iPhone 6s to make a point!

Old 09-19-2017, 02:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times
Have not had a LL for years. I have Ooma, a voip that costs less than $4.50 a month. Its my primary phone with a cell from Cricket for home away.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:29 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That said, we must not not forget that there are some very important people who use this forum. One even mentioned having the need for a portable computer. I can honestly say that I have never known anyone who needed that. I was watching markets on election night, but I did it from my home. My trades went through flawlessly.
Some people work from home and need their portable computers. Yup, there are plenty of retired folks who work...some even work full time....how they're retired, I'll never understand.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:31 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
We keep the land line because for one thing I have been in that house for over 25 years, a lot of people know my old land line #. Being out in the country, I like having a corded POTS type phone that will work in a power outage (the country connection is that being in a low density area, outages tend to take longer to clear, because REA will fix whatever brings the most people back first).

That and the security system uses the land line.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
In many areas, if the power goes out so does cable and phone as the lines are all on the same poles. Good luck finding a corded phone! My WalMart does not carry them.
I've lved in my present location for ten years. During that time, I've experienced a number of power failures ranging from a few minutes to several hours. However, they have been rare for the last several years. My phone and DSL have worked fine during these outages. I had one telephone line failure that lasted for two days as well as a few DSL failures. There was no disruption of electric service.

Telephone lines are all underground in my area; my electric company has converted most of the electric lines to underground as well.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:02 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,513,135 times
Yes. Use it for security alarm and fax

Old 09-19-2017, 03:12 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
We do it comes with the internet/cable vision package and it actually costs more money if you don't want it.

We do not have a phone hooked up to it and I couldn't tell you the phone number if my life depended on it.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

There are 100's of corded phones available for purchase.

Walmart.com is one of the places with many.

scroll thru this:
corded phones https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

100's of corded phones are available for purchase at:

walmart.com

amazon.com

bestbuy.com

target.com

Last edited by matisse12; 09-19-2017 at 04:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement