Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:54 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

I prefer landlines in the home, cell phones out of the home when I'm on the road.

I see people's faces in their phones constantly and not interacting w/ others around....don't want to be like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

Me too! - We've got both, but, I pretty much use them as phones, not as an 'umbilical cord' to keeps me 'socially connected' to email and Facebook 24/7. I'm not even sure what walking around talking loudly on a cell phone or with a cell phone glued to one's face is really about. IMO, cell phones are a bit of a paradox: People trying to appear socially in-demand and connected ... who are actually avoiding real interaction with the people around them.

Okay, I'm not a complete 'troglodyte' -- I do use my smart phone some to look things up, as a GPS and a few other incidental things (and I do play a card game on my cell phone when I'm bored or waiting). But, the only reason I have a smart phone, is because my wife keeps upgrading and I get her old phone. OTOH, I spend quite a bit of time on my computer and tablet (writing, reading, CD forum, buying things) and since I'm retired and don't need to get out all the time, I guess that's the same thing.

Also, I would probably replace the landline with cell phones, but, we get a clearer signal on the landline and the cost is pretty nominal.
jghorton, then why did you say using a landline is like using a typewriter (which is not a good analogy nor accurate) (or replacing all landlines with cellphones) in your previous statement and why did you inherently denigrate and disparage using landlines in your previous statement since you above see the advantage of a landline?

And you say above that you prefer landlines in the home and cell phones out of the home:

"Me too! - We've got both" you say, referring to BucFan saying "I prefer landlines in the home, cell phones out of the home when I'm on the road."

It appears you just wanted to be controversial or you were just trying to appear 'hip' or 'with it' in technology in your previous post and be among those who you perceive as 'hip' and 'with it' in your previous post and not wanting to appear as an older person who doesn't follow trends.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-22-2017 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 05:05 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Huh? You got one for your mom for her safety but she didn't use it, so you lock yours away in a drawer? I have always heard that most accidents happen close to home, not on road trips. Why wouldn't you carry the phone with you in case of accident or medical emergency?

I didn't get a phone for my mom. Some seniors 'thing' did. She used it. Just didn't carry it with her everywhere, like outdoors, but she had a habit of falling indoors OR out so she needed to. I don't 'need' a cell phone and don't care if I have one or not. Nobody calls me whether I have one or not. Not even on my landline. So why should I pay every month for something that I'm not going to use? IF I do have an accident, and regret not having a cell phone, I'll let you know and you can be the first to say "I TOLD you so!!". I guess I'm just not that worried about it. If I'm not at home I'm at work and everyone knows they can contact me either place and what hours. I don't need to be 'tethered' 24/7.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:09 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I prefer landlines in the home, cell phones out of the home when I'm on the road.

I see people's faces in their phones constantly and not interacting w/ others around....don't want to be like that.

I guess I feel the same way. Nobody calls me at home anyway but I need the phone for my computer or I probably wouldn't have a landline either.

At work I see my associates with their noses in their phones every break and lunch. I go to talk to my friends but nobody talks so I leave. I don't think they even realize I was there or that I left. I guess their phones are more exciting and worthy than real people.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:21 PM

164 posts, read 175,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Cell phone. I noticed a number of posters in the Landline thread either say they got rid of their cell phones or don't have or want one.

Well this is my tale: About four years ago my wife was driving from her office and pulled over with intense chest pain. She called 911 then me. I saw them load her into the ambulance. I followed to hospital which was less than five minutes away. After about 3-5 minutes I heard a code blue call. It was for Mrs5150. But she didn't die.

Now then, let's do a replay without her having a cell phone. Mrs5150 is sitting in her car having a heart attack. And so, she does what? Go to the nearest house to borrow a phone? Flag down a car in this residential area or stop a pedestrian and explain why 911 needs to be called. I suppose I would have remarried by now.
Push the OnStar button.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:51 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I didn't get a phone for my mom. Some seniors 'thing' did. She used it. Just didn't carry it with her everywhere, like outdoors, but she had a habit of falling indoors OR out so she needed to. I don't 'need' a cell phone and don't care if I have one or not. Nobody calls me whether I have one or not. Not even on my landline. So why should I pay every month for something that I'm not going to use? IF I do have an accident, and regret not having a cell phone, I'll let you know and you can be the first to say "I TOLD you so!!". I guess I'm just not that worried about it. If I'm not at home I'm at work and everyone knows they can contact me either place and what hours. I don't need to be 'tethered' 24/7.
So drop the landline since you don't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
Push the OnStar button.
When you are on a walk???? Or in a Subaru?

Old 09-22-2017, 08:04 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Push the OnStar button.
Works great if you have a GM product and subscribe at $199 a year for the basic plan. I have it in my Silverado and have never used it, nor did I subscribe when the freebie subscription expired.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:11 PM

164 posts, read 175,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Works great if you have a GM product and subscribe at $199 a year for the basic plan. I have it in my Silverado and have never used it, nor did I subscribe when the freebie subscription expired.
I think you can get it on any car and if money is no object as it isn't for a lot of the retirees here, and you really want to make sure your wife is safe, then it would be better than just having a cell phone. OnStar would have your exact location, where as, in the middle of a heart attack, you would have to relay your location to 911. I've never had a heart attack, but that may prove to be difficult.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:39 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Quote:
I think you can get it on any car and if money is no object as it isn't for a lot of the retirees here, and you really want to make sure your wife is safe, then it would be better than just having a cell phone. OnStar would have your exact location, where as, in the middle of a heart attack, you would have to relay your location to 911. I've never had a heart attack, but that may prove to be difficult.
OnStar is GM. Other manufacturers have their own service. For instance, Hyundai has Blue Link, but it only works with a cell phone that has been paired to the vehicle. I have seen aftermarket OnStar kits at Best Buy, but they don't provide the full suite of options that a built-in system in a GM vehicle would have.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:23 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Ok this is getting ridiculous. Why the anything but simply having a cell phone handy? Mrs5150 barked her location to 911. Plus all cells have gps. Ya know people know where they are and can say such. Even if they are taking a walk.

And no, Onstar is a GM thing. Why not simply have a cell phone!

Last edited by Mr5150; 09-22-2017 at 10:32 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 10:28 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Now then, let's do a replay without her having a cell phone. Mrs5150 is sitting in her car having a heart attack. And so, she does what?

Go to the nearest house to borrow a phone?

Flag down a car in this residential area or stop a pedestrian and explain why 911 needs to be calked?w.
Push the emergency button that is like in every car now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement