Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 10:36 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So drop the landline since you don't need it.

When you are on a walk???? Or in a Subaru?

I do need it. For my internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 10:39 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Push the emergency button that is like in every car now?
Yea, right. I always keep my car in my front pocket when I take a walk.

And what If my car is not a 2018 model?

Old 09-22-2017, 10:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Yea, right. I always keep my car in my front pocket when I take a walk.

And what If my car is not a 2018 model?
My wife's car was made in 2009 and has that button.

The question I was answering is your wife in a car. Not your wife on a walk.

And I've seen a lot of heart attack patients. Very few of them are able to pull up the GPS and relay exact coordinates to rescuers. The cell phone itself will not reliably relay exact location to anyone. If I called nine-one-one from my house , I would use the landline every time.

All that being said, I cannot argue that a cell phone can be extremely useful in many emergency situations. I think that those are the situations where I am actually thankful that cell phones were created.

And I am very thankful that your wife is doing well.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My wife's car was made in 2009 and has that button.

The question I was answering is your wife in a car. Not your wife on a walk.

And I've seen a lot of heart attack patients. Very few of them are able to pull up the GPS and relay exact coordinates to rescuers. The cell phone itself will not reliably relay exact location to anyone. If I called nine-one-one from my house , I would use the landline every time.

All that being said, I cannot argue that a cell phone can be extremely useful in many emergency situations. I think that those are the situations where I am actually thankful that cell phones were created.

And I am very thankful that your wife is doing well.
Thank you. We live in a small town. Mrs5150 is smart and focused. Even in pain. But be that as it may, most can say "I'm at 12th and main"

Old 09-23-2017, 06:22 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
By habit there are two things I wear when I go out the door, a cell phone on my left side in a belt case and a .40 in my right side in a holster.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:35 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
Quote:
Ok this is getting ridiculous. Why the anything but simply having a cell phone handy? Mrs5150 barked her location to 911. Plus all cells have gps. Ya know people know where they are and can say such. Even if they are taking a walk.

And no, Onstar is a GM thing. Why not simply have a cell phone!
Actually, the same service is offered on other vehicle than GM and you can get an Onstar add on for most vehicles.

However, the GM factory onstar has a greater range. Your cell phone is limited by law to 0.6 watts, Onstar runs on 3 watts. The Onstar antenna is mounted higher, it is a lot longer and where you have Onstar you can get service that is not available on a cell phone. When I lived in UT, I proved that to myself many times. No coverage for my cell phone, but I could talk on the Onstar system. Does not mean Onstar will work everywhere, just that is will work in areas a standard cell phone will not work.

Also Onstar offers a dedicated emergency button, just push the call the local authorities.

HOWEVER, not everyone has onstar, not everyone wants Onstar, so the next best thing is a cell phone. And the modern cell phones automatically send out GPS with a 911 call. Even if you turn off your location services on a modern cell phone, you cannot turn off the emergency location services.

Cell phones are not for everyone. But in this day-and-age they work as good as most landlines. In fact, those towers may stay up in a massive storm where the lines may drop. And most, if not all towers have their own generators for power backup.

If people are really worried, get a dedicated Personal Locator Beacon! They work pretty much everywhere, unless you are spelunking in a cave.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Getting better...still work to do.

You have to have the right phone.

911 Dispatchers Use New Technologies to Quickly Locate Cellphone Callers

Old 09-23-2017, 07:00 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Works great if you have a GM product and subscribe at $199 a year for the basic plan. I have it in my Silverado and have never used it, nor did I subscribe when the freebie subscription expired.
My Subaru Outback has a similar product branded StarLink. I didn't subscribe when the freebie subscription expired. The head unit is a slightly tweaked Toshiba/Clarion Subaru grabbed from the Toyota parts bin like lots of other things on their product line. When I get in a Hertz rental Camry, a bunch of the gizmos are identical. Also things like the plastic engine air filter box and the cabin air filter system. Not surprising since Toyota owns a slice of Subaru and Outbacks are built in an Indiana plant that also produced Camrys until last year when Subaru sales grew so much that Toyota moved that line to Kentucky.

I always have car keys, wallet, and my cell phone in my pocket. At this point, it's hard to imagine life without a smartphone. It's my pedometer I use to track how much I've walked. It's my GPS system when I'm driving so I can avoid traffic jams. It's my compass when I'm walking in an unfamiliar place and don't know which way to turn. Everybody in my life communicates via iMessage or vanilla text messages. I video call my girlfriend with FaceTime when we're apart. I'm an information junkie and Google is there immediately to answer any question. Uber hails my taxi. My personal calendar is on it. It's my camera. It stores my 100 gigabyte music library. I track scores for my sports teams. My shopping list is on it. It's the remote control for my television. I use it to pay at the pump for a 10 cent discount. It's how I find the least expensive gasoline where I'm driving. It's my chart-plotter on my boat, tide chart, and where I look at weather radar and marine forecasts. It's my train tickets and airline boarding passes. It's my newspaper. It's the only way I know what time it is. It's my shopping list. It's my contact list. It's my calculator. It's how I deposit paper checks into my bank account. It's my flashlight. If I'm traveling and something bad happens, it's how I find hotels, rental cars, airline tickets, bus schedules, train schedules. It's how I find restaurants when I'm traveling.

It's also my telephone but that's kind of secondary to everything else.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:04 AM

All I can say is my iPhone is way less expensive that buying a new car with onstar or starlink. Plus an emergency can happen when you are not in your car

Old 09-23-2017, 11:50 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
Quote:
All I can say is my iPhone is way less expensive that buying a new car with onstar or starlink. Plus an emergency can happen when you are not in your car
Just press the home button & say "Siri call 911", I just learned this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement