Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2017, 08:36 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
So did you do all the labor?
I hired out the foundation, the well-driling and the electric meter. Otherwise I did it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 09:18 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
They were selling acreage out in west Texas for 50 dollars! This was back in the 90s.

You are buying scrubland AND you do NOT own the mineral rights underneath your land. There is a reason why the land is so cheap.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:25 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You are buying scrubland AND you do NOT own the mineral rights underneath your land. There is a reason why the land is so cheap.
all that and next to a nuclear waste disposal site

Old 10-29-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
In many locations may also lack water rights.

I would NEVER buy land without water rights and mineral rights.

You can buy land with both that is still fairly low priced.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:01 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
There is still cheap land you can buy that no one wants or you can't live on it. Deserts, swamp land ETC
What good is mostly unusable land?

Old 10-29-2017, 03:31 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In many locations may also lack water rights.

I would NEVER buy land without water rights and mineral rights.

You can buy land with both that is still fairly low priced.

If you head to tax sales, you can find a good number of irregular lots in many towns that are dirt cheap. Of course, you have better understand what you are buying into. Some property is not worth owning if it is for free.

I have had several great opportunities over the years but have passed as real estate investing in not my cup of tea.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
SW TN fits the requirements except summers can be hot and humid, albeit nothing like the coasts. If you head just a little bit north or east of Memphis, you can find 3 acres with a house for under $75K, no income tax, good growing seasons, outside city limits, no restrictions on chicken/ducks, even some good hunting nearby, fishing...some people hereabouts consider those bottom feeding, walking on land catfish to be fish. You can stay within an hour of Memphis VA Hospital, currently undergoing expansion and modernizing. Get a propane tank and generator and you're all set.

Low sales tax is the only requirement of yours that doesn't fit but it isn't too bad especially if you grow most of your own food or head south to Mississippi.

And you sure won't find too many of us liberals - we are so outnumbered it's truly sad. Don't expect elected officials to do right by the common person, they are supporters of the take from the poor give to the rich group that's running things.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:10 PM

93 posts, read 110,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is the problem. Shangri La does not exist. Its a fictional story in a book.
You can't have champagne tastes on a beer budget.
This gentleman doesn't like taxes, but undoubtedly he wants to be near a top-notch VA Clinic. My sense of irony is simply overwhelming me. The VA system is as extensive as it is and does as much as it does because its costs a big chunk of tax revenue.
This country is just of full of people who want the benefits of government, but don't want to pay for them. This guy would probably tell me that he is a veteran and has earned the right to excellent medical care. Excellent medical care doesn't grow on trees. It has to be paid for by ordinary citizens who struggle to pay their taxes.
I just wish more people understood the connection and didn't expect someone else to provide all this for them for free.
I'm 58. I've earned a good income most of my working years and I've paid big taxes. I don't begrudge it. The only thing I ask is for others who want the benefits of government to do the same thing.

I can see that you are angry and unhappy. Consider accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as your savior, and ask Him to take away your anger. He will! You must forgive those who have wronged you, just as I have done. My life was changed! I've worked since age 12 and I left home at age 18. I've paid my taxes and I served an enlistment in the military, and I receive annual checkups and lab work medical treatment in the VA medical system, but its not free, for me. When I go in, I pass by the Spinal Cord Injury ward. Now those Vets paid a big price for their VA care, and understand they receive very few visitors, except for veteran's support groups, which mostly come from military families. Good luck to you, sir.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:17 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
I can see that you are angry and unhappy. Consider accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as your savior, and ask Him to take away your anger. He will! You must forgive those who have wronged you, just as I have done. My life was changed! I've worked since age 12 and I left home at age 18. I've paid my taxes and I served an enlistment in the military, and I receive annual checkups and lab work medical treatment in the VA medical system, but its not free, for me. When I go in, I pass by the Spinal Cord Injury ward. Now those Vets paid a big price for their VA care, and understand they receive very few visitors, except for veteran's support groups, which mostly come from military families. Good luck to you, sir.

I don't believe poster Markg91359 is either angry or unhappy. I base my judgment on having read his posts for a number of years. However, I do find rod5591's post objectionable in its judgmentalism.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
If you head to tax sales, you can find a good number of irregular lots in many towns that are dirt cheap. Of course, you have better understand what you are buying into. Some property is not worth owning if it is for free.

I have had several great opportunities over the years but have passed as real estate investing in not my cup of tea.
I have attended a few tax sales, though I have never purchased a property at one.

After I had served 6 years in the US Navy, I got out and went to college on the GI bill. 4 years later when I had finished college I struggled to find a job that I could earn greater than Minimum-Wage.

So we decided that I would go back into the Navy, serve another 14 years and get the 20-year pension. But for that pension to work, we would need to focus on accumulating a large Net Worth.

We found a Multi-Family-Residence property that we were able to buy on our Minimum-Wage incomes. It was 3 houses on a single lot. We lived in one house and we rented out the other two houses. The rental income covered the mortgage / insurance / taxes, etc.

Once I was back in uniform, we bought a Five-plex property at our next duty station. On my salary as an E5 enlisted sailor.

At the next duty station we bought a Tri-plex, ...

Then a Four-plex, ...

At each duty station, we were able to find Multi-Family-Residences that we could afford to purchase on the small income of an enlisted sailor.

When I reached 20-years and the Navy threw me out on pension, we had enough equity saved up in properties that we were able to cash out the equity and we used the cash to buy remote land and we built our farmhouse.

If you want to insist that you can not do it, then I assure you that you can not do it. However I have been able to buy properties that were able to pay for themselves at each place where I have been stationed. California, Scotland, Connecticut, and Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement