Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 08:25 AM

1,564 posts, read 2,797,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Google "blue states tax plan"
Multiple stories about the tax disadvantages proposed in this tax plan
Maybe you listen to Fox News--most others have referenced the punishment to blue states vs red since many blue states have state income tax (no write off) and higher home prices (limited to mortgage interest deduction on 500K homes)
That's a good point; the GOP proposed tax plan does appear to make states with an income tax, high property taxes, and high-priced real estate even more disadvantageous for retirees than they are right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 10:47 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
That's a good point; the GOP proposed tax plan does appear to make states with an income tax, high property taxes, and high-priced real estate even more disadvantageous for retirees than they are right now.
As a retiree I would never live in a state that taxed my income. Same goes for high property taxes or high priced real estate.

I do not make a lot and I see no reason to give big chunks of it away.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:23 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Moderator cut: .
I'm on the wait list for the first move-ins next year at a new construction sr. apt complex. Although it does get hot in the summer, it will work better for me since rent is $595 and they pay all utilities (including electricity). I'd love to find lower rent sr places in the best weather areas but that's not going to happen.

Last edited by toosie; 11-10-2017 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: Edited out quoted post

Old 11-08-2017, 01:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I'm on the wait list for the first move-ins next year at a new construction sr. apt complex. Although it does get hot in the summer, it will work better for me since rent is $595 and they pay all utilities (including electricity). I'd love to find lower rent sr places in the best weather areas but that's not going to happen.
best weather?

There are quite a few affordable options west of the Missouri River.

NM may be the least expensive 'fair weather' option. Las Cruces is a pretty decent community, but too brown and far from the ocean for me. My mom has loved it for the last 12 yrs.

Remember that the 'Founder' of the "Single gals retiring on their own... " ended up staying in Santa Cruz (55+ MHP). Another poster found an affordable (CHEAP) home in Sedona !

Sounds loike I better get busy on my senior cottage community. I went looking for property again yesterday.

Objective is <$80k (if buying in) or <$900/ month if renting. (will include community space / gardens guest apartments / shops, greenhouse, Hopefully a pond and wildlife and livestock.)

Last edited by toosie; 11-10-2017 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted post

Old 11-09-2017, 01:01 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Of course 'best weather' is relative, to me it would be San Diego or Santa Barbara (when I win the lotto)!

I have to keep my monthly rental/utilities $600 or less/month. Finding those are not easy, let me rephrase, finding may not be difficult, but getting a unit is not easy. Many wait lists are 5 years or more. Some I've been on their list for close to 7 years, one called in the middle of one of our blizzards and said I had to move in within two weeks! And if you aren't able to move right away your name goes to the bottom on the list again. They told me they have hundreds waiting to move in and it's "first come-first served".

So, for me to "finally" find a community under construction and be at the top of the list for the first move-ins is a real blessing.

I'd located others being built but by the time I found the web site and called they were all rented out and had a very long wait list.

The demand for affordable senior housing (and by 'affordable' I don't mean apts renting at $1,000+/mo) is extremely high and the supply is dwindling.

There are many 'senior living' communities springing up; however, those are 'independents' living alongside 'assisted' living apartments, and for a small studio for independents the rents are running on an average of $2k to 3k/month (to help subsidize the costs for assisted living tenants). Investors would rather put their money into properties that will reap the most profits (can't blame them for that).

Old 11-10-2017, 09:45 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,103,294 times
Interesting posts. I live in Las Cruces, NM and absolutely hate what it has become: high crime rate, chaotic traffic, liberal politicians/sanctuary city/state. Thus, I will be moving within the next couple of years when I can unload my half million dollar home and decide what to do with all the furniture.

I have been looking at the area in and around Fredricksburg, TX primarily because of low crime rate, German/Eastern European culture and a more humid climate.

I need to stay in a rural setting since I don't like being around people and keep weird hours and play loud music. I have been in my home since 1977 so this entire moving to a new location thing is going to be most traumatic for me. Decisions, decisions.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Interesting posts. I live in Las Cruces, NM ...
I have been looking at the area in and around Fredricksburg, TX primarily because of low crime rate, German/Eastern European culture and a more humid climate.

I need to stay in a rural setting since I don't like being around people and keep weird hours and play loud music. I have been in my home since 1977 so this entire moving to a new location thing is going to be most traumatic for me. Decisions, decisions.
Was just in LC last week to visit / help my mom, she loves it (but too brown and dusty for me) (She is LC resident for 12 yrs, having to flee Colorado due to too many new neighbors (High property taxes) and battleground politics (internal community / state strife))

I have a place near Fredericksburg (Rural Kerrville) College town with all the regional big box stores / services +/-. The region is delightful with LOTS going on (arts / events / music / food). Visiting between Thanksgiving and Christmas is especially fun (Lighted cities and parades + concerts).
https://www.tripsavvy.com/texas-hill...-trail-1656925
Hill Country Christmas Lighting Trail
http://txhillcountrytrail.com/events...ts-spectacular

Be careful! Our local friends (retired extension agents) had served in many TX counties (and lifelong TX residents) warned us about the ethno centric villages of central TX being quite ingrown.

TX is very stiff on property taxes (failed schools get 2/3 in my area).

I keep my property taxes low by staying rural (over 10 acres for farm rate) and often use Mobile Homes (personal property, rather than REAL property (tho taxes can still be considerable) Often $1500/ yr on a $150k property). My WA property taxes are $14800 on a <$100k (cost basis) property. Those taxes WERE $800 / yr when I was planning retirement. (the assessor likes my home, and I have torqued him off by fighting my assessments annually.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,808 times
I too have been looking for a new place to call home. I currently live in Tucson and for a multitude of reasons I am looking for another spot to call home. Two years is enough to know I made a mistake in choosing Tucson.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:17 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy6 View Post

I too have been looking for a new place to call home. I currently live in Tucson and for a multitude of reasons I am looking for another spot to call home. Two years is enough to know I made a mistake in choosing Tucson.
What are the reasons Tucson was a mistake? The very intense high heat for certain months? And what else?

Old 11-19-2017, 05:20 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,658,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
What are the reasons Tucson was a mistake? The very intense high heat for certain months? And what else?
Yeah, what? Too dry? Too crowded? Too Flat?
Let us know what it is you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement