Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 06:20 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,098,586 times

Advertisements

Everything you say about dogs is true. That's why this is a hard one to call. We had a shep that was wonderful. He lived to be 17. Although considered a large dog, many sheps live long lives too. When we saw he was getting older, we started discussing if we would get another one or not. Travel was a big reason why we came to the conclusion that we would try to go without one. You are limited in the places you can visit if you don't want to board the animal.

Our dog was a true family member. We traveled by driving everywhere and camped. Make no mistake, we had seen almost the entire US, and our faithful friend, who loved to swim, swam from sea to shining sea along the way.

Its rough to put a dog of any size on a plane, but really rough for a full grown shep. He wont fit under the seat in front of you, and has to travel in the cargo area. After reading some horror stories about cargo travel that included the animal arriving to the destination crushed, or lost like luggage often is, we didn't even attempt it.

Its hard to get a hotel room with a larger dog, and the one's you can get are usually not anything close to the best. Instead of nice restaurants, we ate at drive-ins/drive thrus mostly, or ordered meals 'to go'. It was nice to find a place either at the restaurant or down the road at a rest stop/wayside with outdoor seating so we could all get out of the car to enjoy our meal. We didn't mind all this 'inconvenience' because we loved him, and wanted him with us as much as he wanted to be with us.

The dog passes. We are both heartbroken. We lasted about 3 days before we rushed to an animal shelter to find a new puppy. Ultimately, we had a void that HAD to be filled.

My husband has passed, and once the sweetie I have now passes, I am going to try to go without one again. If I cant handle it, I'm getting a Chihuahua or Yorkie. Something I wont have a hard time traveling with. I can pop it into a cute bag and take it everywhere.

Try. See if you can go without one (as opposed to 3). If you can great, but if anyone cant handling it, you can always change your mind. Many 55+ communities do allow dogs, and as long as you aren't leaving them alone for a prolonged periods of time, you don't have to worry about being called out for noise. You will be expected to pick up after them if you aren't already used to doing that. Assisted living may be a problem but you never know unless you ask. Many place recognize the therapeutic value of dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 06:37 AM

11,960 posts, read 5,911,570 times
Excellent thread - I was just thinking about this myself. We've had dogs throughout our marriage and for the last 10-12 yrs have had 3 at once. My buddy just passed away and I've been craving getting another puppy to join the crew - but then started thinking about retirement. As it is - our ne son watches the dog's when we go to visit the other for vacation.

Patton's condition last month cost $2400 and we couldn't save him in the end - so vet costs will be a concern on a fixed income in a couple of years.

My husband wants to move out of state and renting or most 55+ communities are out as one of our dogs is a pit mix. I really don't want the hassle of owning another house but will do so for my babies.

We've always thought that we would have at least one dog our entire lives - but thinking about it now - it may limit our travel and certainly will be something to be considered when it comes to living conditions should one of us pass. Hubby would stay in a house - not me - I'm looking for an active retirement community or retirement apt.

Should we ever get another dog - it definitely will be a senior so as to provide them with love as there are too many in the pounds waiting for someone who cares.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:43 AM

4,858 posts, read 3,672,985 times
We have our LAST dog and cat. When they pass, there will be no more.

They have never "ruined" our life, on the contrary they have somewhat enhanced it.

They do make life a bit more complex when you want to travel. And they are both very needy, always needing attention, grooming, vet visits.

No more, ever.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:03 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,363,576 times
Ya GOT ME WHERE I LIVE on this one! I love my dogs more than I love most people and will have dogs in my home until they drag me out feet first. And yes...I have already seen to their care when I am no longer here.

I find life with dogs (right now a Collie and a Doberman - and lost my Rotti/Pointer mix 3 months ago )
to be one filled with humor, caring, and LOTS of love and affection! They are noble, trustworthy, engaging, hilariously funny, ecstatically happy, and smart as a whip - though the Collie IS a bit "dingy" - and well worth all the so-called trouble and effort they require. I have reliable sitters on my full-time work days whom I trust completely.

I can tell you that one of the most joyful times I have ever experienced was when my late and gorgeous Doberman, Luna, saw the ocean for the first time. Her eyes became as big as golf balls. We were alone; I unsnapped her leash and said, "Go ahead, Girl." As she was highly trained and highly sociable, I could allow this. WELL...she ran like the wind until she was a speck in the distance, and I called her back. It was PERFECTION - and utterly thrilling. I can never thank her enough for that precious few moments when my heart soared with hers.

Yeah...there's a down-side in losing them. I accept that with part of the stellar package that each one brings to me. In time, I may need to "downsize the dogs" in my life - but not yet.

"The more I get to know people, the more I admire my dog." Mark Twain

Last edited by soulsurv; 11-13-2017 at 07:11 AM..

Old 11-13-2017, 07:07 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,138,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
You can travel with dogs, you just need to travel differently. Go RVing, and take your pets.

Bad idea! You will be stuck with the dog 24 hours a day and can only go where dogs are allowed. Most National Parks do not permit dogs except for the parking areas. They are not allowed on trails. Trying to leave a dog behind in the RV is a bad idea and some National Parks also prohibit that. There are plenty of other issues. You might find that your pet handles traveling well; however, many do not. Some rest areas have pet areas. Some do not. There are no pet areas at gas stations, restaurants, or if you decide to stop overnight at Walmart or similar.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:28 AM

698 posts, read 1,054,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
We are entering our 70s and our dog is 12 years old (a cocker). I love him dearly and don't see how I could do without a dog. But, because I don't think it fair to raise another dog after he is gone, I have decided he will be our last dog. We can't stand the thought of leaving a dog as an orphan when we don't have anyone that we know that would want to adopt.

I understand your concern and relate to it. However,as I can't ever really visualize not having a pet- cats in my case- I have adopted senior cats- 11 yr. old and 13 year old. Many of these seniors are lovely, healthy animals who are overlooked at shelters, and most have some good years ahead of them. Also, these animals seem to know they've been rescued, and are very affectionate and loving animal companions. I also would never want to have a younger animal for the reasons you stated. I volunteer at an animal shelter and a number of the animals that end up there have lived in loving homes for their entire lives, and then are left, after the owner's death.

I am 74 and hope to be able to have cats for some years to come; My neighbor is 79 and has 3, two being seniors. I will concede that cats are easier to plan for if traveling is a part of your retirement life. For me, however,it is not a major desire or issue.

Catsy

Old 11-13-2017, 07:37 AM

496 posts, read 414,014 times
We have two dogs and I love them more than most people. But, we have decided that these will be our last dogs. Money is one reason, pets can be expensive. Freedom is the other. We want to be able to pick up and go in retirement without the concern or expense of boarding or finding a reliable pet sitter. The other issue is if one of us should become seriously ill, trying to care for a pet at the same time definitely complicates things.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:50 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,534,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
We are entering our 70s and our dog is 12 years old (a cocker). I love him dearly and don't see how I could do without a dog. But, because I don't think it fair to raise another dog after he is gone, I have decided he will be our last dog. We can't stand the thought of leaving a dog as an orphan when we don't have anyone that we know that would want to adopt.
Good for you. Recently a friend died and no one wanted her three dogs so they were put down. Now I will say they were older, they had maybe another couple years at the most.

Glad they did it after she passed. It wouold of broke her heart

We are very allergic to dogs and cats so we don't have them. And for those who bring up non - allergic dog.

No such thing - Husband is very allergic to their saliva. We've tried no go.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,319 times
My dogs are an integral part of my life. I will have at least one dog until the day I die.

I absolutely understand the concern that a pet might be left homeless as a result of an owner's death. Responsible pet owners all, regardless of age, need to make contingency plans for their pets in the event of owner death. However, we need to do so wisely and with open conversations with the designated pet "god-parent". I have seen too many cases where family and friends were not able to provide for the animal when the owner died.

OP, one compromise might be to provide foster care for local rescues. While rescue dogs can often come with "baggage" in the form of behavior issues, many just need a loving temporary home until they can be adopted.

Pets add so much to our lives that- at least for me- the benefits far outweigh any perceived negatives.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:08 AM

8,165 posts, read 8,566,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
We've always had dogs.<>
What are your thoughts and experiences?
My mother had a pair of dachshunds for many years. As one passed it would be replaced, so at the time of her death she had one old, one young dog. She made no provision for their care. Fortunately a young friend loved them and took on the responsibility.
Our girl is a 65 pound mix breed and is eight years old. I have a note with my papers that she is to be cared for with bills paid by my executor. In any event, if she passes before we do she will not be replaced. It's not just the traveling, she needs daily activity and as I say when she gets rambunctious, "You need a boy!"
We are not up for it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement