Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 05:05 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,435,284 times

Advertisements

Put your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for a hour. When you open the trunk which one do you think will be happy to see you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 05:19 PM

555 posts, read 595,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
There is no answer to your question by someone else, since we really don’t know YOU.

My wife and I retired in 2011. I am now 68 and my wife is 66. During our 44 year marriage, we always had a dog and a cat(sometimes 2 cats). Our two kids were raised with dogs and cats.

The last cat we had died/disappeared in 2012, and of the 14 cats we had she was the worst. She was really a wild animal, and scratched and peed on anything she wanted. We finally tossed her out, but kept feeding her and petting her. In 2004 we adopted a 18 month Labrador who died last Monday(euthanized due to end stage chronic kidney disease, blindness, inability to get up, falling down often while walking, dementia. But for 13 years he was the sweetest dog in the world. If I was as sweet as that dog, I would be instantly canonized at death.

And so rather than see how long we can last without a pet, and knowing it wouldn’t be more than 6 months...we got a shelter cat on Saturday. She is slowly adjusting to a life in a house with people after two months in a cage at the SPCA. And we having a pending Adoption/purchase of a chocolate Labrador Retriever puppy, who is now about 1 week old. The puppy was born almost at the same time that our saintly dog died.

We know that we can not survive with out both a cat and a dog.
Awwww, congratulations, slyfox! May you have many happy years with both of them!

Old 11-13-2017, 05:28 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,195,111 times
I see most people are writing about dogs. I have 2 cats, both about 5 years old, though I've also had dogs and horses early on. When my last cat died in 2013, I waited about 3 years before I decided to get another cat. Actually, I decided to get 2 if I ever got cats again so they could keep each other company if I traveled. I always felt guilty with the last one when I traveled with her being all alone.

So finally, 3 years after her death I decided to adopt the two I have now from the Humane Society. So, they will be with me at least another 10 years. But after that? If I'm still here, it will be a hard decision to make since I've had animals in my life for all of my life. But I don't want to die and leave them behind with no one I know who would want to take them.

So I'll put the decision off until then. A lot can happen in 10 years. But one thing I know... living without pets in the house seems unimaginable as they are more precious to me than any humans. That may sound weird to a lot of people who don't share my value of companion animals. But they are unconditional love, that also require care. If I'm able physically and financially to give that, then I will always have animals in my life. Can't image a life spent otherwise.

So, I will just see where I am at that time that these 2 precious souls leave me, if I'm still here. It would be very tough to be without pets in my life as they give an enormous amount of companionship, no matter how many humans are in my life.

Animals are a special category. More dear to me than any other companions possible.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:55 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
Thank you Mikala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm so sorry Bob.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:07 PM

588 posts, read 463,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
And those are the people that should not own a pet. I don't see a problem.
or child

Old 11-13-2017, 06:36 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Although most think it's "mean" (I think it's anything but), you can arrange for your pets to be put down in the event of your death or disability. Yes, I've seen family and friends promise to keep them -- and break those promises. Better that then having them end up in a shelter alone, bereft, confused, frightened, and possibly ending up in an abusive or negligent home. There are worse things than death (esp. for animals).
In an early version of her will, my MIL suggested we do exactly that when she passed. She understood it would be hard for us to do.

In the end, so to speak, both her cats were rehomed.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:15 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Would you mind sharing what that animal shelter is? I've always thought my present kitty would be my last because I don't want a pet to outlive me. In my independent living complex, I sometimes see people who suddenly have to go to nursing homes or die and there is no provision for anyone to take the pets they leave behind.

It could be Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanube UT.

I have an agreement with them also.

https://bestfriends.org/

Brightdoglover also has one, I think

Old 11-13-2017, 07:20 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times
I can tell already that I'm going to use up all my reps on this thread .

Old 11-13-2017, 07:26 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,644,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
Cons:
1. Not everybody likes your animal.
2. They stink...seriously your house stinks.
3. You need someone to "babysit" if you want to travel.
4. Pets are messy.
5. They can be expensive.

Pros:
1. You can post weird pet meme's all day on FB and Instagram.
2. You can call yourself mommy and daddy because you have "furbabies"
3. You have a constant companion
4. Without much effort, you get something that worships your existence. Perfect for the shut-ins with little to no social skills.
Another pro: animals aren't condescending jerks.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:41 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,195,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I was referring only to your statement I bolded about people wanting to have something that worships their existence, not anything else you stated. Cats don't worship people. If I wanted my cat to worship me, I would get a dog.
This is a very common misconception. Some cats actually DO worship their people. There is one sitting next to me right now watching every move i make as I type this. Then he is my little shadow following me around in the house, waiting for me to acknowledge him with a snuggle or a word. When I'm home, he is my constant companion and I swear he understands whatever I say to him. But this is not unique in my experience. Every cat I've ever had was more or less the same. Little guys who want only to be with me at all times. Yeah, they do weird and funny cat things too. But some are more like dogs than people would think. Maybe I've just been lucky, or have a way with them. But make no mistake... cats love and worship their humans every bit as much as dogs. You just need to learn to understand them. But you ARE their family. I truly love and admire dogs too. I appreciate their differences. Love them both. But I get tired of hearing people saying how cats don't love their humans. Obviously these people have never had the experience of bonding with a cat. They're awesome companions in their own right. There is no reason to expect them to be like dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement