Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 12:20 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,640,402 times

Advertisements

Taking care of the barn cats and farm dog gives order to my days in retirement, and I appreciate that. I HAVE to get up early every morning to open the doors and feed them, and same thing with the end of day routine of feeding them and shutting them in for the night at dusk. I also HAVE to feed the dog and give him exercise and let him out to p/p at regular intervals. I like having a daily schedule based around caring for my critters.

Costs aren't a problem for me, fortunately. The small town I live near does have a problem with stray animals, so giving and helping with them also gives meaning to my life.

Going away from them for vacations is really more a mental issue than a real issue for me. There are handy dandy college students who are useful for things like pet sitting. It's more that I have a hard time tearing myself away from the gang, who essentially are my family.

I do worry about having to move in the future into town or into assisted living. But then, the whole reason I have the barn cats to care for is that I bought a property with the stipulation that I would care for the cats already on the property. I would hope that I could find a similar buyer if I ever have to move. As for end of life issues, I really am beginning to think that I might be one of those crazy old ladies who leaves her property to her cats. It genuinely is something I'm thinking about doing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 12:28 PM

15,044 posts, read 12,246,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've considered a lower-maintenance pet for the future; something like a hamster. Of course you wouldn't have the close bond, satisfying companionship, or entertainment value of a higher order pet, but at least it would be a pet and a lot less work and trouble. Also, the lifespan is only about two years, so it's less of a commitment. In the event of your illness or death, it can be donated (with cage) to the local animal shelter and is sure to be adopted without great trauma to the pet.
You didn't mention birds, but many folks put them into the same category , maintenance, companionship, and longevity-wise, as hamsters.

Well, we have birds, and I wouldn't say that as much as we spoil them, they're "low maintenance", although I'd say they're easier than dogs, maybe cats. You still have to make provisions for them if you travel, but for short day trips, or even overnights, they can stay in their cages with food and water, toys, and they'll be ok.

Birds can be great companions if they're tame and socialized. Ours are all free-flighted and out of their cages unless no one is home, and they follow us around like little flying puppies as they want to "help" with everything we do. They enjoy their head scratches and one of them (the lovebird) will cuddle inside a shirt, on our shoulders. Two of them are talkers-with especially the parakeet imitating everything she hears in including sound effects (human coughs, sneezes, laughs, slurping drinks, running water) and they love to play. It's safe to say they share our lives in every way they can.

As for longevity-well, we've had our cockatiel for over 28 yrs-we got him in March of 1989, and while that's ancient for a cockatiel, he's still part of the gang, enjoying life and doing well. Our lovebird is about 5.5 yrs old, and our last lovie, who died in 2012, lived for nearly 17 yrs. Our parakeet is 3 yrs old, interestingly enough we adopted her two yrs ago from a lady who developed Alzheimer's disease and couldn't care for her any longer. This little bird fit right into our "flock" and has been a wonderful addition since then. Our last parakeet ( who died in 1987), lived for 11 yrs, we had to put her down when she developed cancer.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:36 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,097,977 times
I have 3 big dogs, all rescues, a Weimaraner, a Doberman, and a GSP. The GSP is 18 now and has already way exceeded her lifespan so she will not be with me much longer. The Weim is 7, and the Dobie is going on 3 now. These are my last big dogs. This makes me sad but realistically, it makes no sense to have a dog I can't lift and transport alone. My dogs provide companionship and protection. I live in an urban area and breakins are not uncommon. My dogs make it look smarter to go elsewhere.

My dogs force me to go outside and walk. They need exercise and so do I. I am also forced to go out and pick up poop. And those are not small pellets either. More exercise. Good things for me! They keep me up and moving, letting them in and out all day too.

They also eat a lot and decent food is expensive. Then there is vet care. Also not cheap. Just their yearly shots are about $300.

I guess when this crew is gone I will have to go small and yappy...

Old 11-13-2017, 12:40 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,996,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
Cons:
1. Not everybody likes your animal. Fine with me; not everybody likes ME, and I certainly don't like all people, so we are all good on this one.
2. They stink...seriously your house stinks. Ok, maybe sometimes, but people who don't have pets have stinky houses too. People with smelly houses whether with pets or not might wish to brush up on their cleaning skills.
3. You need someone to "babysit" if you want to travel. I have never needed a "babysitter"; on the rare occasion I travel without my dogs I either board them or have my dogsitter come in.
4. Pets are messy. Again, this isn't necessarily a result of the pets. My house with 2+ dogs is neat and clean (and doesn't smell). However, yes, pets can be messy, but so are children, roommates, spouses, and friends. Having a messy home isn't exclusive to pets. Also, unless one is a hoarder, having a messy home is not generally thought of as a character flaw.
5. They can be expensive. What does expensive mean? Children are expensive, cars are expensive, travel is expensive. We all have our priorities.

Pros:
1. You can post weird pet meme's all day on FB and Instagram. Have never done this.
2. You can call yourself mommy and daddy because you have "furbabies" Have never done this either.
3. You have a constant companion Yes, not sure why this is an issue for you?
4. Without much effort, you get something that worships your existence. Perfect for the shut-ins with little to no social skills Mmmm not really- I cannot imagine why you would think a pet "worships your existence". I am neither a shut-in nor someone who needs any kind of worship, and while I am certainly not a social butterfly I am more than capable of holding my own in almost any social setting..
You are making some sweeping and incorrect generalizations as noted by my comments in red.

My dogs are part of my life. People who are my friends accept me, my home, and my dogs. Love me love my dogs. People who choose not to accept me as I am are not my friends so why would I care what they think?

I will say that I don't understand feeling that you can't travel if you have pets. Traveling might entail boarding or hiring a pet sitter, but that shouldn't stop someone from traveling. Or at least it never stopped me.

There is definitely a reason people prefer their pets over some people.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 11-13-2017 at 01:14 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 12:49 PM

3,093 posts, read 1,696,658 times
I'm really not a pet person but wouldn't mind a dog. But I like to play and go places, and I'm not one who would take a dog with me ~ taking it out for walks would be my limit. I pay attention to my friends with pets, and they have to worry about their pets care when they plan to take a vacation, while others just deny themselves travel to avoid futzing with it. Based on all that, I'll probably never own one. Maybe if I find myself alone down the road.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,604,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

..in my retirement community it seems like every other resident owns a dog or cat. The dogs are of the smaller breeds....really cute to see.
This is interesting that all the dogs in your retirement community are 'smaller breeds'.

In my complex, a huge number of people have very large dogs - some even enormous!

I'm not sure what causes people to have a small dog versus a large dog. Any insights? (when there is no rule about size in a complex)

I imagine there is a rule in your retirement community that only small dogs are allowed?

The rule here was that one can have a dog that is 50 pounds or less. I think maybe they stopped enforcing the rule.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-13-2017 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 01:12 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,545,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I guess there is a reason some prefer pets over some people.
I had a golden retriever while working and loved coming home after a long, long thankless stressful day to have him waiting anxiously for me, wagging his tail, and sitting next to my leg wherever I sat.....unconditional love from a dog beats a lot of interactions I've had w/ humans over the years.....

Old 11-13-2017, 01:25 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,152,949 times
I am getting to the life stage that these three when they go will be my last pets as I want retirement to be able to travel and just go at a minutes notice and not have to hurry home because a dog or a pet needs me to let it out . Nope I want to be able to volunteer also and some volunteers are needed at a minutes notice . I have had pets all my life and I think I need a break from animals all together . I think I would like the freedom that being petless provides . No need to worry about a pet sitter etc . and then there is the issue if something happens to me that I would leave a pet behind to be looked after or has to go to animal control because no one can take them in , I think that is my biggest worry .

Old 11-13-2017, 01:40 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,396,025 times
I traveled often for work and being single, I went out of town during many of the holidays to visit parents and siblings. Since I was gone so much, dogs were never a viable option for me so I had cats which I actually prefer over dogs. Knowing approximately when I would retire, that I wanted to travel during retirement, and the lifespan of my previous cats, I adopted a couple of kittens in 2000 calculating that they would live until about my retirement age. This worked out according to plan and my last cat died a few months ago.

Now I am pet free after almost forty years of pet ownership. The house feels lonely without them but I want the flexibility during my early retirement to travel for weeks at a time and maybe rent a condo on the beach for a month or two during the winter. I hired pet sitters when I traveled but this gets expensive and it was hard on my cats if I was gone for much more than a week. My plan is to consider adopting again in my early or mid 70's - a couple of older indoor cats or lap dog. Most of my siblings and their children like animals and would be willing to take my pets if necessary but I would prefer not to do put them in that position.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:54 PM

22,128 posts, read 13,160,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I am getting to the life stage that these three when they go will be my last pets as I want retirement to be able to travel and just go at a minutes notice and not have to hurry home because a dog or a pet needs me to let it out . Nope I want to be able to volunteer also and some volunteers are needed at a minutes notice . I have had pets all my life and I think I need a break from animals all together . I think I would like the freedom that being petless provides . No need to worry about a pet sitter etc . and then there is the issue if something happens to me that I would leave a pet behind to be looked after or has to go to animal control because no one can take them in , I think that is my biggest worry .
Although most think it's "mean" (I think it's anything but), you can arrange for your pets to be put down in the event of your death or disability. Yes, I've seen family and friends promise to keep them -- and break those promises. Better that then having them end up in a shelter alone, bereft, confused, frightened, and possibly ending up in an abusive or negligent home. There are worse things than death (esp. for animals).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement