Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 06:53 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,797,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I enthusiastically took Zostavax as soon as it came out. I had shingles in my 40s, and it was not an experience I want to repeat in this lifetime.

I avoid "holistic" cures because they have so many dangerous toxic side effects.
Holistic cures and dangerous side effects???? Good lord, how have I made it over 25 yrs and no side effects from all the holistic cures I imbibe. Oh it just occurred to me, it must be those holistic toxic remedies that keep shingles from my body and the vaccine from my body too. I better shut up as I'll go off topic and ......

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-14-2018 at 07:40 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 08:12 PM

9,541 posts, read 16,548,408 times
Is this new shingles shot needed for those, that had the original shingles shot? I ask because my primary doctor hasnt mentioned it.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:52 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,465,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Is this new shingles shot needed for those, that had the original shingles shot? I ask because my primary doctor hasnt mentioned it.

I had the original (Zostavax) shingle shot and my doctor recommended that I also get the two Shingrix shots. He said the Zostavax shot should cut one's risk of shingles by 51 percent. However, the Shingrix shots are more than 90 percent effective at preventing shingles.

My doctor has never stocked any of the shingles shots because he said there isnt enough demand for them in his office (due to the cost). So he wasnt telling me that to try to sell me on anything.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:56 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,713,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I had the original (Zostavax) shingle shot and my doctor recommended that I also get the two Shingrix shots. He said the Zostavax shot should cut one's risk of shingles by 51 percent. However, the Shingrix shots are more than 90 percent effective at preventing shingles.

My doctor has never stocked any of the shingles shots because he said there isnt enough demand for them in his office (due to the cost). So he wasnt telling me that to try to sell me on anything.
Zostavax was live virus with a short shelf life, so you had to get on a list and they would call you when a shipment came in.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,078,964 times
Okey Dokey then. Was going to get the shot tomorrow but, after reading about side effects, I changed my mind. I had a very bad and long reaction after I got the flu shot. It wasn't flu. I think it was bronchitis. I was on the couch for 3 wks.

My neighbor said her hubby started getting the shingles, they rushed to the doctor and got some meds and he had a very mild case. So, I will do that if I see it coming to me.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:55 AM

10,248 posts, read 6,340,479 times
There is another thread on the Insurance site which talks about Trump proposing to put some drugs covered under Medicare Part B into Part D. Would this include flu and pneumonia vaccines too? Somewhere around 27% of Seniors do not have Part D or supplemental.

Even for those who do, you then get into deductibles and co-pays for flu and pneumonia vaccination as well as the shingles vaccination.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:01 AM

37,151 posts, read 41,350,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
There is another thread on the Insurance site which talks about Trump proposing to put some drugs covered under Medicare Part B into Part D. Would this include flu and pneumonia vaccines too? Somewhere around 27% of Seniors do not have Part D or supplemental.

Even for those who do, you then get into deductibles and co-pays for flu and pneumonia vaccination as well as the shingles vaccination.
The problem with vaccine coverage under Part B is that it has to be given in the office and not at a pharmacy. Some doctors do not stock vaccines because of the requirements for maintaining refrigeration, including a backup system for power failures. If you do not have a supplement or Part D you could look into a Medicare Advantage plan, which can be quite affordable.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 AM

This just arrived in my inmail this morning. Now, I know the majority here have made their decisions and that is their's and that's what it's all about. Choice. I prefer to work with my prevention and do not take vaccines. Reading the link brings out info I hadn't heard or read before. Like a lawsuit against Merck.

https://jonbarron.org/immunity/shing..._hsmi=62828762

I have not paid any attention to these Shingles vaccines until my joining C-D. As mentioned here and in all the articles I've read, worry and stress are major factors so WORK on changing the mind and how to handle life's challenges. Learn to "let go" of so much and take up meditation as I've said MANY times around these forums. There is so much we CAN'T control, so "let go" of so much. It's truly amazing what Meditation does to the brain. And so easy and FREE but our population is just crazed with all the issues they are trying to fix.

https://www.classaction.com/zostavax/lawsuit/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-15-2018 at 11:14 AM..

Old 05-15-2018, 02:49 PM

37,151 posts, read 41,350,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This just arrived in my inmail this morning. Now, I know the majority here have made their decisions and that is their's and that's what it's all about. Choice. I prefer to work with my prevention and do not take vaccines. Reading the link brings out info I hadn't heard or read before. Like a lawsuit against Merck.

https://jonbarron.org/immunity/shing..._hsmi=62828762

I have not paid any attention to these Shingles vaccines until my joining C-D. As mentioned here and in all the articles I've read, worry and stress are major factors so WORK on changing the mind and how to handle life's challenges. Learn to "let go" of so much and take up meditation as I've said MANY times around these forums. There is so much we CAN'T control, so "let go" of so much. It's truly amazing what Meditation does to the brain. And so easy and FREE but our population is just crazed with all the issues they are trying to fix.

https://www.classaction.com/zostavax/lawsuit/
The lawsuits are unlikely to get very far.

https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skep...lawsuit-facts/

Old 05-15-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The lawsuits are unlikely to get very far.

https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skep...lawsuit-facts/
Just the same, how far they go or don't go, something stinks. I didn't realize that these vaccines were around for such a short time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement