Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 10:55 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
So we have to hear how many of you think the shingles shot is the best thing since slice bread but the poster you are quoting cant express her/his opinion? Hmmm... you believe in the vaccine, good for you. Others dont, good for them. Health and health care is a personal decision.
Yeah, what about all those who get shots and shots .... get sick of reading that too. And yes I don't do them and at close to 80 good health for me.

I hear nothing about the shingles except here on C-D and the fear mongers. And those who do NOT work to keep their immune system healthy. True I don't need to read the posts, but sometimes I just can't resist, just like those who knock what I do, can't resist their comments. And they know who they are.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:15 AM

3,085 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
And exaggeration. Shingrix was free for me via my company’s Anthem health insurance, because I am 60. I can’t recall ever spending anything on vaccines. How many thousands do you think she has paid for her supplements?
So if she chooses to spend her money on supplements, isnt that her right to do so? Even when I was covered by my husbands health ins thru his employer there was nothing free. Everything had a price. I have no idea what medicare pays for nor do I care. Only vaccine I get is tetanus, and thats because of my lifestyle. I also have no plans of getting shingles vaccine or flu etc. if you choose to do so thats fine if thats what you believe in, but why criticize the people who view health and medical care differently?

Old 05-11-2018, 11:17 AM

1,548 posts, read 1,195,758 times
Actually, once I got shingles, people in my life began "coming out of the woodwork" to tell me of their experiences with shingles. These were family members, co-workers, neighbors, pharmacists, doctors and other people I barely knew. Most everyone had a shingles story either about themselves or someone they were close to. Previously, I had no idea that many, mostly mid-50s and above, had had shingles. Some were even younger. All had their own stories to tell, but all had a common thread of extreme pain/misery and some still dealing with neuro-pain years after the attack. Some had even gotten it twice, which made me want to cry for them, it was so horrible to imagine.

But is encouraging the vaccine really fear-mongering?

I dunno - is wearing an oven mitt to remove a hot pan from the oven considered fear-mongering because you don't want to get burned?

Is it fear-mongering to put on your seat belt when you drive your car because you don't want to get killed in an accident? Are public service commercials fear-mongering because they are educating the public and encouraging responsible driving behavior?

Is it fear-mongering to get our outdoor pets vaccinated for rabies, parvo, and feline leukemia because we love them and want to keep them from suffering a horrible death?

NO - these are reasonable, preventive measures to keep ourselves and those we love safe and healthy. Some things really SHOULD be feared because they really are fearsome & dreadful. To ignore that fact is irresponsible.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:19 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I find it fascinating that there is zero curiosity about what would CAUSE shingles in the first place.

Lots of people get chicken pox - they don't all go on to get shingles.

There is a theory that chicken pox is not even a factor in getting shingles (don't know details, someone just mentioned this theory to me, so it's "out there").

I think the origin of any dis-ease is key.

Is it a vitamin deficiency?

A result of stress that the body expresses in that particular way?

A combination of factors? If so, what are they?

No curiosity at all - just "you might get shingles, so have this vaccine."
This is not a mystery. It's the same reason some people get cold sores and some don't. Both cold sores and shingles are caused by a herpes virus. Once you are infected it's in your body forever. Flareups depend on your immune system.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Medicare is not going to pay for two Shrintix vaccinations for people over 65 who have already had the Zoster vaccination. Even with Part D or Medicare Advantage, my husband's co-pay for Zoster was around $100. In situations like that, how many Seniors will pay the full $300 to get Shrintix in addition?

Lower the age to 50 and get the unvaccinated younger people to get it, and make up the difference in rates, and profits.
I had shingles in my 40s. When Zostavax came out my insurance wouldn't cover it, so I paid $175 for the vaccine, well over $200 in today's dollars. If I have to pay cash for Shingrix, I won't even blink. Not all elderly people are comfortably retired, but I would never notice $320.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:33 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times
In my insurance (AARP HMO) this is a tier 3 medication which means I have a $245 deductible to meet. So insurance won't pay anything until I meet it. Have to call around to see how much pharmacies are charging for this around here. Cold sores were always my bad luck in my childhood. Do not want Shingles !

Old 05-11-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
This is not a mystery. It's the same reason some people get cold sores and some don't. Both cold sores and shingles are caused by a herpes virus. Once you are infected it's in your body forever. Flareups depend on your immune system.
Ah cold sores and that virus. My mother had a history of colds and cold sores and when I got on my famous antioxidant in 1995 and found what it was doing for me, I got my mom on it and she was 85 and from that point she never got another cold or cold sore and did die at 91....so I do have a history with this virus issue. The antioxidant I take has anti viral, anti fungal properties. Sad so few know about it and what it truly does...so they give pharma all their money for drugs and shots.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:46 AM

Zostavax was a live virus vaccine, and was pretty fierce. It could also actually cause a minor case of shingles in a rare number of cases. Shingrix is a killed virus vaccine, so much easier on the body and can't cause shingles. As a side benefit, it will probably also immunize you against chicken pox, if you aren't sure if you have had it or not.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:51 AM

1,548 posts, read 1,195,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
so they give pharma all their money for drugs and shots.
Well, actually I didn't give pharma ALL my money for this shot. I agree - ALL my money would be a bit pricey! I still got some leftover for the next vaccine.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I would never get a shingles vaccine.

I believe in the metaphysical causes of dis-ease.

If you look up metaphysical causes of shingles, it is very interesting.

In the meantime, the vaccine might also cause shingles (as well as a host of other problems, including eye damage):

Merck Admits Shingles Vaccine Can Cause Eye Damage
Anyone bother to read this and THINK about it. The shots in the dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.