Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 01:32 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
You don't know what works, so as usual, we just agree to disagree....

I don't live by the science writers. Every body is unique and what works for that body is what works.
There are medications that work to treat shingles, with scientific evidence to support them.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20353060

https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...l-lysine-nuts/

"As of October 2010, the National Library of Medicine lists no studies evaluating the effectiveness of L-lysine against the varicella zoster virus or specifically among people with shingles. The University of Michigan Health System warns that while L-lysine supplements 'may speed healing and help prevent outbreaks' among people with herpes simplex, their use in people with shingles is 'speculative' due to the lack of direct evidence."

If you have shingles, you can take lysine, the effectiveness of which is "speculative", or you can take an anti-viral drug that is known to treat the virus. If you take lysine, by the time you find out it is not going to work you may have lost the chance to get the most benefit from the anti-viral med, which works better if it is started right away.

If you were to take lysine for prevention - with no evidence that it works - you would have to take it every single day, because there is no way to predict when the virus will reactivate. Do you take it every day? The new vaccine, on the other hand, has been shown to be highly effective.

You may take all of your supplements and never get shingles. Half of the people who do not take supplements will never get shingles, either. If you do not - and we all hope you don't - that is not evidence that the supplements had anything to do with it.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:34 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I agree with this. Having been though shingles, I feel certain that the trigger for me was a prolonged period of extreme stress - a couple of months. That period really wiped me out and just when I came though it and thought my life had settled down, BAM! Shingles outbreak. Others that I know who also had shingles were also mid-50's and had just been though some prolonged extreme mental stress.

So for those wondering what a typical trigger for shingles would be - as suzy_q says, anything that stresses your immune system past it's ability subdue viral vulnerabilities like shingles.

Since that attack, I've learned that I need to keep my stress level lower, by whatever means necessary. I'll probably also get the new shot when I turn 60, just in case. That previous poster's description of being constantly stung by wasps for a couple of weeks is pretty accurate. But I also suffered a very deep intense pain that felt like in the very center of my bones were on fire. This pain - I never want to experience again.

I remember saying at the time that I had 3 kinds of pain. Surface skin burning, nerve pain, and what felt like "bone pain". The pain killer only helped with the skin pain, and only for a couple of hours. But it couldn't touch the nerve and bone pain (it probably wasn't really in my bones, but that's how it felt). Never in my life have I suffered from 3 kinds of such intense pain simultaneously. Very unique suffering.
I kinda agree with you on the stress factor for one. My husband got shingles despite having the vaccination; stress AND pages of medications.

My SIL (at 32) and my Daughter (at 38) also got shingles; no vaccination due to their ages. Again, both at the time were also under a lot of stress, but both also take medications for different conditions.

Besides the stress factor, precisely what medications can compromise the immune system? I know steroids do, but none of my family takes those.

Maybe the key factor is medications? Shingles increases with age. Well, the older you get, the more medications Seniors take. I read somewhere that 90% of Seniors take at least two medications daily. I am almost 70 and take nothing at all. Rare for me to even take OTC stuff.

Jamin, how many do you take? You are older than I am and have not gotten either the vaccination, nor shingles.

What part does medications play?

Old 05-07-2018, 01:35 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Y'all are making me wish for my 60th birthday now instead of in November so I can get the shingles vaccine! I had a very serious case of chicken pox as a kid. Sick as a dog and blisters EVERYWHERE. And I seriously mean everywhere.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:51 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,794 times
I am not sure if I gave an update to this thread or not? But, I did go ahead and get my 2nd and final Shingrix injection the other day. I made me feel significantly worse than the first one, but, not really terrible. My insurance paid off much better on this one. It only cost $57 compared to $160 something. So, that's it for my part, I guess.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:09 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I kinda agree with you on the stress factor for one. My husband got shingles despite having the vaccination; stress AND pages of medications.

My SIL (at 32) and my Daughter (at 38) also got shingles; no vaccination due to their ages. Again, both at the time were also under a lot of stress, but both also take medications for different conditions.

Besides the stress factor, precisely what medications can compromise the immune system? I know steroids do, but none of my family takes those.

Maybe the key factor is medications? Shingles increases with age. Well, the older you get, the more medications Seniors take. I read somewhere that 90% of Seniors take at least two medications daily. I am almost 70 and take nothing at all. Rare for me to even take OTC stuff.

Jamin, how many do you take? You are older than I am and have not gotten either the vaccination, nor shingles.

What part does medications play?
On meds I take BP meds and thyroid and ibuprofen. Lots of supplements.. And on another health group some were talking about Jack LaLanne and how many supplements he took and lived into his 90's and my guess no drugs or very little and probably no flu/shingles shots. MOST others I know take a LOT more meds and so few supplements, but some like minded friends are forever trying new supps for their issues.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:49 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I agree with this. Having been though shingles, I feel certain that the trigger for me was a prolonged period of extreme stress - a couple of months. That period really wiped me out and just when I came though it and thought my life had settled down, BAM! Shingles outbreak. Others that I know who also had shingles were also mid-50's and had just been though some prolonged extreme mental stress.

So for those wondering what a typical trigger for shingles would be - as suzy_q says, anything that stresses your immune system past it's ability subdue viral vulnerabilities like shingles.

Since that attack, I've learned that I need to keep my stress level lower, by whatever means necessary. I'll probably also get the new shot when I turn 60, just in case. That previous poster's description of being constantly stung by wasps for a couple of weeks is pretty accurate. But I also suffered a very deep intense pain that felt like in the very center of my bones were on fire. This pain - I never want to experience again.

I remember saying at the time that I had 3 kinds of pain. Surface skin burning, nerve pain, and what felt like "bone pain". The pain killer only helped with the skin pain, and only for a couple of hours. But it couldn't touch the nerve and bone pain (it probably wasn't really in my bones, but that's how it felt). Never in my life have I suffered from 3 kinds of such intense pain simultaneously. Very unique suffering.
The new vaccine is recommended for anyone over age 50.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...endations.html

"CDC recommends Shingrix® (recombinant zoster vaccine) as preferred over Zostavax® (zoster vaccine live) for the prevention of herpes zoster (shingles) and related complications. CDC recommends two doses of Shingrix separated by 2 to 6 months for immunocompetent adults age 50 years and older ... "

GSK will help you find out about insurance coverage:

https://www.gsksource.com/pharma/con...rt-center.html

Since Shingrix does not contain live virus the prediction is that it can be offered to people who are not immunocompetent, but info on that group is not yet available, including effectiveness.

https://www.consumerreports.org/shin...u-should-know/

Old 05-07-2018, 04:43 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Medicare is not going to pay for two Shrintix vaccinations for people over 65 who have already had the Zoster vaccination. Even with Part D or Medicare Advantage, my husband's co-pay for Zoster was around $100. In situations like that, how many Seniors will pay the full $300 to get Shrintix in addition?

Lower the age to 50 and get the unvaccinated younger people to get it, and make up the difference in rates, and profits.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:05 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,148 times
Both my DH and I have Medicare Part D through Humana/Walmart. I was thinking........ok with this insurance we should get a great rate for the new vaccine if we get it at Walmart. Was in WM today to pick up a prescription (not going to get into THAT disaster) and decided to ask. Yes they have it available there. What is the price? Apparently it doesn't matter if your part D is with Humana/Walmart, it is still $160 per person. Cash price is $167......Wooooo, saves me a whole $7!!! I am assuming that is for both doses, but I didn't specifically ask. I must have had a startled look on my face because she says to me.....I guess you aren't getting it? Uh, not today. Bad thing is that I had chicken pox, so I know I have the virus. I may have to bite the bullet since I know several people who had the first vaccine but still got shingles. In my case Part D in itself is a rip off since I only take one generic prescription on a routine basis which costs me more than the cash price of the prescription and I still have a $4/month copay.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:23 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Both my DH and I have Medicare Part D through Humana/Walmart. I was thinking........ok with this insurance we should get a great rate for the new vaccine if we get it at Walmart. Was in WM today to pick up a prescription (not going to get into THAT disaster) and decided to ask. Yes they have it available there. What is the price? Apparently it doesn't matter if your part D is with Humana/Walmart, it is still $160 per person. Cash price is $167......Wooooo, saves me a whole $7!!! I am assuming that is for both doses, but I didn't specifically ask. I must have had a startled look on my face because she says to me.....I guess you aren't getting it? Uh, not today. Bad thing is that I had chicken pox, so I know I have the virus. I may have to bite the bullet since I know several people who had the first vaccine but still got shingles. In my case Part D in itself is a rip off since I only take one generic prescription on a routine basis which costs me more than the cash price of the prescription and I still have a $4/month copay.
I never signed up for Part D many yrs ago when it came out...and for sure not now. My couple meds are cheaper than the cost of what D would cost me. I don't take but a couple meds. Everything I do is out of pocket and that's my supplements, of course...until pharma can patent the grape for my grape seed extract it will Never be a drug.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
For those who are more spiritually evolved than the mainstream indoctrinators/indoctrination:

Causes of symptoms according to Louise Hay | The Alchemy of Healing
Uh, alchemy is not a real thing. "Spiritual evolution" is a cult.

The silliness we read on CD is very enjoyable. Thanks for the chuckles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.