Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2018, 06:14 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Do you just get it once (well, two doses) in your life or do you have to repeat it at some point?
At this point, since it is a new vaccine, the answer is unknown. However, indications are that the immune response will be long-lasting. The people who participated in the trials will be followed to see whether the incidence of shingles in those who were vaccinated goes up. If it does, then a booster may be needed. since it will be given to older age groups, most will probably not need a booster.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:03 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Here is more very helpful info:

Shingles, Vitamins, minerals and supplements for shingles, Complementary and Alternative Treatments for Shingles, Herpes Zoster, Holisticonline.com

Old 05-06-2018, 08:10 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
That's interesting information. I know they say L-Lysine for a cold sore that is caused by a virus.

I had the old shingles shot and I will definitely get the new shingles shot. I already do a lot of the things mentioned in the above article but if there's a shot for it that's supposed to be very effective, I'll take it. At our ages we have enough to worry about so if I can actually prevent something, I will do so.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's interesting information. I know they say L-Lysine for a cold sore that is caused by a virus.

I had the old shingles shot and I will definitely get the new shingles shot. I already do a lot of the things mentioned in the above article but if there's a shot for it that's supposed to be very effective, I'll take it. At our ages we have enough to worry about so if I can actually prevent something, I will do so.

Yes L Lysine is very effective and I do not get vaccines and we do make our choices. I feel good about mine and many feel good about their's.... Mom/Dad never had shingles and never had vaccines...

Old 05-06-2018, 10:00 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Geez, there's 2 shingles shots now? I guess I'll look into it & get it.

I remember taking Lysine in the 80s as a preventive but I don't recall it being successful for my cold sores, a prescription for zorvirax works wonders though, nips it in the very beginning. One can buy it over the counter in most countries outside the US.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Geez, there's 2 shingles shots now? I guess I'll look into it & get it.

I remember taking Lysine in the 80s as a preventive but I don't recall it being successful for my cold sores, a prescription for zorvirax works wonders though, nips it in the very beginning. One can buy it over the counter in most countries outside the US.
Lysine is known for herpes virus prevention/cure. It's available in the U.S. everywhere supplements are sold. I take it off and on for prevention.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:22 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Evidence of lysine's effectiveness for cold sores is patchy.

There is no evidence at all that it helps shingles.

The best treatment for shingles is to start a specific anti-viral medication at the first sign of an outbreak, which is an itchy, tingly sensation, followed by the appearance of the characteristic blister on a reddish base, which looks like a chickenpox blister: a dewdrop on a petal.

Anyone who even suspects he has shingles should consult a doctor. Don't fool around with lysine or vitamins. You may not get better and you could very well lose the window in which the prescription meds are most effective.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:24 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I would never get a shingles vaccine...

In the meantime, the vaccine might also cause shingles (as well as a host of other problems, including eye damage):

Merck Admits Shingles Vaccine Can Cause Eye Damage
Your link is from 2016 and pertains to a different, older vaccine. If you want to continue to recommend against people getting the vaccine, at least try to stay up with current events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Mom/Dad never had shingles and never had vaccines...
Well that settles it then! Never mind the fact that a million people each year just in the U.S. get shingles, since jaminhealth and her parents didn't get shingles, there's absolutely no reason for anyone to get vaccinated!

For those of you for some unknown and illogical reason don't think that jaminhealth's sample of 3 people is statistically significant, you may be interested in reading the below article entitled "No Excuses, People: Get the New Shingles Vaccine"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/h...s-vaccine.html

Old 05-07-2018, 09:43 AM

529 posts, read 491,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
I had shingles when I was around 23. It was near my eye and left me with scar tissue from the resulting corneal ulcer. Could have been much worse.

That being said, should I consider the shingles vaccine at my current age of 55? I think it is recommended for older people but wonder if I am susceptible to getting it again if I had it once.
I am 56 and had the first of the two shots (Shingrix) last month. I have met several people that have had the shingles in their 50's and 60's. No thank you. Not when it is preventable.

Mark

Old 05-07-2018, 09:47 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Evidence of lysine's effectiveness for cold sores is patchy.

There is no evidence at all that it helps shingles.

The best treatment for shingles is to start a specific anti-viral medication at the first sign of an outbreak, which is an itchy, tingly sensation, followed by the appearance of the characteristic blister on a reddish base, which looks like a chickenpox blister: a dewdrop on a petal.

Anyone who even suspects he has shingles should consult a doctor. Don't fool around with lysine or vitamins. You may not get better and you could very well lose the window in which the prescription meds are most effective.
I find it fascinating that there is zero curiosity about what would CAUSE shingles in the first place.

Lots of people get chicken pox - they don't all go on to get shingles.

There is a theory that chicken pox is not even a factor in getting shingles (don't know details, someone just mentioned this theory to me, so it's "out there").

I think the origin of any dis-ease is key.

Is it a vitamin deficiency?

A result of stress that the body expresses in that particular way?

A combination of factors? If so, what are they?

No curiosity at all - just "you might get shingles, so have this vaccine."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.