Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:55 AM

498 posts, read 571,896 times

Advertisements

I have been retired for 14 years and lived in two states. No one has ever asked me about finances. I have been "pushed" more often than I like to explain my political and relegious views....which I say "don't want to go there...want to talk pro football?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 12:04 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
And how do you deal with these people?
You can respond simply by saying, "I'm enjoying my retirement."

Nothing more needs to be said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Perhaps you appear to be doing better than you and was hoping you'd give him your 'secret' or at least some hints.
It's a little too late in the game for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Maybe one of the reasons so many folks are in horrible financial situations is because in general we treat talking about finances as taboo??
Finances are taboo.

Loose Lips Sink Ships.

Discussing personal finances is a good way to end up dying violently.Once you release information, you have zero control over how that information spreads. And if your friend happens to mention your wealth in front of her grand-daughter who tells her meth-head/heroin addict boyfriend, you might not like the end result.

There is a plethora of information at local libraries and a cornucopia of information on the internet. You may direct people accordingly.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:21 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times
just from the replies here you can see why, sometimes they get an answer. intermittent reinforcement and all that.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:44 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Some people have always been nosy and rude all their lives so I don’t see age being a factor, as much as commonality of age and circumstance. We haven’t been asked this but I imagine if we are we will politely deflect the question and change the subject.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:47 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
A lot of folks are just plain nosy. Many assume that someone who is retired is a moneybags.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I haven't encountered this specifically but if/when asked I have no qualms of saying I'd rather not discuss finances/operations/bowel movements.

Seriously.
You forgot religion and politics.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Part of the asking of questions is because it is interesting how all the various retirees handle living without a full-time job.

And then if the retiree has various comfortability factors (depending upon the norms) and even a one-bedroom apartment in subsidized housing, one is curious how that came to be.

And then when one looks younger than other retirees, questions arise in miscalculating the age of a person and wondering how they live without a job.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:07 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I had one woman asking me if I was on welfare because I live in HUD housing. I shouldn't have even responded but I said no, social security & a pension. I guess I must look younger than I am or poor or something.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:18 PM

5 posts, read 5,183 times
I can't speak for others but my curiosity about others finances stems from wanting to know if I am doing things right or not. I have no problems talking about all or parts of my finances depending on who I am talking to. I got to where I am because others shared their financial experiences whether it be boasting or fireside chat. Never would have gotten into mutual funds etc, if some brave sole did not say look what this has done for us, you can do it too. Knowledge can be the key to success or failure, why hold out.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:08 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You can respond simply by saying, "I'm enjoying my retirement."

Nothing more needs to be said.

It's a little too late in the game for that.

Finances are taboo.

Loose Lips Sink Ships.

Discussing personal finances is a good way to end up dying violently.Once you release information, you have zero control over how that information spreads. And if your friend happens to mention your wealth in front of her grand-daughter who tells her meth-head/heroin addict boyfriend, you might not like the end result.

There is a plethora of information at local libraries and a cornucopia of information on the internet. You may direct people accordingly.
Really?? lol 17 folks just died for no reason at all,

I live in Philly, we had 317 murders last year, I don't think I heard any where the results of someone's wealth being the reason.

I'm not saying that you should give out your social security number and the number to your vanguard account but if someone in my building ask me how much is the rent in the penthouse (as example) I'm doubting if a safe injections site is going to end up next door.

So I guess I should say depends on what they ask. Are they asking how much you have in the bank or are they asking how can you afford a certain car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement