Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 01:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
[/b]

Not a good thing for those losing their jobs.
True, on the other hand when Wal-Mart raised its minimum salary the stock fell. Thus the reality of economic policy making,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 01:27 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,188,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I thought that was Bill Clinton that did away with Glass-Steagall, he signed it.

I have learned this concept of three legged stool from the company that I’m receiving my pension from. Before that I was only counting my retirement account.
Glass-Steagall was done away with by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. Three Republicans put it together,
Clinton signed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramm%...0%93Bliley_Act

Wait'll the Republicans start talking privatization of Social Security, lol.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:31 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Glass-Steagall was done away with by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. Three Republicans put it together,
Clinton signed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramm%...0%93Bliley_Act

Wait'll the Republicans start talking privatization of Social Security, lol.
Bush Junior did float that idea, but I think after the Great Recession, that ship has sailed.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:40 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Yes, that is the three legged stool. But you do realize that doing away with Glass-Steagall (a bi-partisan screwing if there ever was one) knocked out the "investments" leg for many and harmed the savers, right?
Glass-Steagall prohibited commercial banks from participating in the investment banking business. I guess you're implying that repealing it brought on all the insane decisions that led to the subprime mortgage crisis, which was a disaster for savers/investors- but only if you sold or were heavily invested in some of the financial institutions that never recovered. If you held on and continued investing new money when the market was at the bottom, you recovered- at least I did.

But- to get back to the pension issue: one complication is Multi-Employer Welfare Associations. There's a large trucking firm HQ near me and they're in trouble because they combined their pension plan with other employers in the trucking industry. Many of those employers are now bankrupt, leaving the remaining employers to cover their own shortfalls PLUS that of the companies that have gone under. So, a bail-out would help the employers still left in the pool but would also protect them from having to pay for the shortfalls of the bankrupt companies.

This issue has been years in the making. Companies are required to have their plans funded based on standards set by ERISA, but the interest rate assumptions used in the valuations have been unrealistically high. (Assuming that the plan will make more generous returns than is realistic makes it look more solvent than it really is and frees the employer of having to add more funds.) Employers have also taken "surplus" money out any time there was an indication the plans were over-funded. Promises have been made to many public employees that would prove to be unsustainable over the long term- but by that time the people who made the promises would be gone.

No easy solution.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Glass-Steagall prohibited commercial banks from participating in the investment banking business. I guess you're implying that repealing it brought on all the insane decisions that led to the subprime mortgage crisis, which was a disaster for savers/investors- but only if you sold or were heavily invested in some of the financial institutions that never recovered. If you held on and continued investing new money when the market was at the bottom, you recovered- at least I did.

But- to get back to the pension issue: one complication is Multi-Employer Welfare Associations. There's a large trucking firm HQ near me and they're in trouble because they combined their pension plan with other employers in the trucking industry. Many of those employers are now bankrupt, leaving the remaining employers to cover their own shortfalls PLUS that of the companies that have gone under. So, a bail-out would help the employers still left in the pool but would also protect them from having to pay for the shortfalls of the bankrupt companies.

This issue has been years in the making. Companies are required to have their plans funded based on standards set by ERISA, but the interest rate assumptions used in the valuations have been unrealistically high. (Assuming that the plan will make more generous returns than is realistic makes it look more solvent than it really is and frees the employer of having to add more funds.) Employers have also taken "surplus" money out any time there was an indication the plans were over-funded. Promises have been made to many public employees that would prove to be unsustainable over the long term- but by that time the people who made the promises would be gone.

No easy solution.
Excellent summation, athena. I'm not necessarily opposed to a bail-out, provided it's Wall Street and the banks doing the bailing out. Plus a claw-back from those screwed up and/or hollowed out the companies.

What a mess.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:27 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,115,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
you're correct, living under a bridge isn't exactly the streets.

now in the interest of full disclosure and to repeat your title. NO way in HELL!! would I accept my lifestyle being decimated through no fault of my own to an existence on social security. Now I recognize that many folks currently live in low cost of living areas and can survive on 24K a year.

Here in Philly it is not a life that anyone wants to have for their golden years. AND please remember they did not squander their money, etc etc. they did nothing but go to work for years, pay into their pension plans and do the right thing.

Oh yeah, by all means, yeah let's let them survive on social security.

not to mention the fact that many folks believe (not me) that social security will have to get it's act together. so all these people you are forcing to eke out an existence on social security what happens when that start to have cuts etc?

lol, talk about a case of "hey not my problem, let them starve".

Again, when we stop wasting money on the other stupidity and we start allowing our elected officials live off of social security and medicare, then come to me and say we NOW have a problem.

lastly you make it sound like these retirees are not tax paying citizens? so they are now probably getting doubly screwed.

HUH?? Wow a lot of people here just don't get it. Living under a bridge IS living on the streets.

You must live in la-la land, too?

Old 11-26-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
HUH?? Wow a lot of people here just don't get it. Living under a bridge IS living on the streets.

You must live in la-la land, too?
NYgal, that was sarcasm, as indicated by the skeptical emoticon, lol.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:14 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
How about the bank bailout?

You do realize, don't you, that the US Treasury made a profit on the bank bailouts?

Old 11-26-2018, 05:15 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Amen,

If we can bail out banks out the wazoo, we can bail out some poor smuck who through no fault of his own is losing the pension promised to him and that he worked for.

Eliza61nyc, what other government programs would you cut to pay for the bailout of the failing multi-employer pensions when their sponsoring companies go under?

Old 11-26-2018, 06:04 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,800,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
You do realize, don't you, that the US Treasury made a profit on the bank bailouts?
Yup...

https://money.usnews.com/investing/a...ayers-billions

This is a different case, since in many cases the companies are bankrupt and gone. We would be funding individual retirements, not making investments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement