Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 04:01 PM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I'm trying to figure-out how to control my Smart TV (Sony) with Alexa. I know it can be done (I've seen others do it), but, it can be done and seems like an excellent practical app for seniors (and others).
I never did hook up my Google Home device to my smart TV. There's just so much that it can do that I can do for myself, that I just don't care. I can push a button and turn on the TV myself, LOL.
More than anything I use mine to get the latest news, weather, listen to music and answer questions like, "Hey Google, how many tablespoons are in a 1/4" cup"?. It's much faster and easier than looking it up myself when baking something.
I still wonder if it's listening in to everything I do and reporting it back to Google, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 05:44 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
If she's a senior, she'll appreciate this special "Alexa for Seniors."
The OP's original question is about Alexa Skills. It's interesting that that sketch underscores what I think is the biggest drawback to Alexa Skills. You have to provide very specific phrases to get Alexa to invoke a skill. It's probably the biggest reason I don't use most of the skills.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:54 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
You have to provide very specific phrases to get Alexa to invoke a skill. It's probably the biggest reason I don't use most of the skills.
Might as well type it into a search engine, eh?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:15 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Zero security or privacy with some of these devices!!

I was having a discussion with my Patent Attorney son about these devices recently and he said one MAJOR brand in particular has zero security or privacy. All commands and information spoken to the device is stored for an extended/indefinite period of time on the manufacturer's servers. This one manufacturer has already received numerous subpoenas for disclosure to legal authorities. Hackers have access to bank account numbers, SSN, passwords, etc.

This manufacturer says they need to retain all information in order to improve device response accuracy. Their competitor can manage without storing data.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Might as well type it into a search engine, eh?
Either way, everything you ask or type in is recorded and stored. Asking a question is faster and more convenient than typing it on a keyboard.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:01 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Zero security or privacy with some of these devices!!

I was having a discussion with my Patent Attorney son about these devices recently and he said one MAJOR brand in particular has zero security or privacy. All commands and information spoken to the device is stored for an extended/indefinite period of time on the manufacturer's servers. This one manufacturer has already received numerous subpoenas for disclosure to legal authorities. Hackers have access to bank account numbers, SSN, passwords, etc.

This manufacturer says they need to retain all information in order to improve device response accuracy. Their competitor can manage without storing data.
It would be great to know the specific brand. We have the Echo, not Google.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
It would be great to know the specific brand. We have the Echo, not Google.
Doesn't it really depend on the search engine being used? Regardless of the device, if google is used then it's recorded and stored. Also, your internet provider does the same thing, store everything you do and type in.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:37 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
How about a tell Alexa to self-destruct command???
That's followed by a lifetime of great sleep.

edit: ha ha...just kidding. I think.
Great idea. I can't believe how many people are unpaid shills for Amazon Use your free cell phone reminders and bypass the purchase of yet another Amazon gadget that old people have to learn.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Great idea. I can't believe how many people are unpaid shills for Amazon Use your free cell phone reminders and bypass the purchase of yet another Amazon gadget that old people have to learn.
Yeah, my device was a Christmas gift 2 years ago. I wouldn't go out and buy one for myself. It's a toy and doesn't do really anything my smart phone won't do for me. It's just a little more convenient to sit there and give it commands instead of picking up the phone or a remote control, or maybe I'm missing something.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:58 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Does it cook? Clean the bathroom? Shampoo the carpets? Wash the dishes? Do the laundry? Groom the dog? Replace human or pet companionship? Encourage independence? Protect privacy? Encourage socialization ? Give a rat's ass whether you live or die? Take up precious time? Promote laziness? Create further isolation in households? The lemmings march willingly to the seaside cliff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement