Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 04:15 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
It seems like a good idea to use Roomba, or Shark, or other robots, as cleaning becomes more difficult with ageing...
Did anybody try them? How good are they?
May I never become too old ( not agewise) to use a vacuum cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 04:24 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
If you have a very neat house in the first place and nothing ever out of place they might be good. but if you have a lot of stuff and not very neat and people leaving stuff where ever, they would not be good at all.

Do you have one?

I'm wondering what you mean here...if a house is messy with things out of place, you still have to move those things out of the way to use a regular vacuum, same as with any kind of vacuum, no difference with a robotic vacuum.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:33 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,099 times
The Roomba is ok, I got one about 5 years ago, it's really not a vacuum at all - it's a sweeper, no air suction involved. Does the job ok as long as the dirt is easily swept up, mine had the brushes that stick out & revolve like a clock break off fairly soon after starting. Also any electrical, extension, or curtain cords will get caught & tangled quite easily bringing all to a stop if not all elevated off the floor before beginning.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
My cheap Sharp electric sweeper died, so I spent many months saving up (and not letting anyone into my apartment to see the layer of dog hair on the rugs - yikes!) I bought this model on Amazon and I couldn't be happier:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this model because the reviews said the company's customer service was great.

I have a huge issue with dog hair, and this vacuum cleaner really cleans up the dog hair like you wouldn't believe. It's a stronger motor than their earlier models, and I'm glad I spent a little extra to get the stronger option.

It's super easy to clean. I even put the docking station underneath a piece of furniture, as I don't have much floor space, and it always finds it's way back home.

For the money, it's absolutely amazing. Any model that I would have to manually use would take up a lot more space in my apartment and wouldn't do any better of a job, in my opinion.

I just move stuff out of the way every morning that might get caught up in it (like wires or clothes on the floor, etc.), then I hit auto and leave it alone. My apartment floors have never been so clean.

And, I have lots of layered carpets and my kitchen and bathrooms are linoleum. It negotiates the layered rugs and goes in and out of the other areas without any problems.

Occasionally, you might hear it kind of get stuck in place. But, if you just leave it alone, it will eventually realize it's not getting anywhere, and turn around and try a different approach.

Totally worth the money. It's even clean under my bed. Just amazing. Buy one. You won't be sorry. Such a better value than the manual ones that are a lot of physical work for you, plus need more storage space.

Honestly, you can't hardly even find a dog hair on my rugs, and the vacuum cleaners I had before didn't work this well, which required a lot of sweat on my part.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:43 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
Anyone who doesn't visit the Pet section of this forum missed this three, lollollol

Roomba goes over dog crap and paints house in crap

Old 12-27-2018, 06:45 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
How well do these robo-vacuums handle the transition from one type of surface to another (wood or tile to carpet/area rugs)? They certainly sound convenient, but only if they can easily handle all the various surfaces found on the floors of my condo.
We've had a Roomba for a little over a year, and have had no trouble with it. It's 'home' station is in our sunroom that has a tile floor. The living room has an oak floor, the kitchen is tile, and the dining room is carpet. It handles the transition from one to the other quite well. It's a bit noisy on hard surfaces, but nearly as noisy as a regular vacuum, and it's the quietist on carpet.

It does a very respectable job of cleaning and can get into all but the tightest spots. I'm sure the vacuum suction is not as quiet as a larger vac, but it's good for semi-daily cleaning. We have a cat, and it keeps her shedded fur under control.

Roomba can't climb stairs and we don't take it up to the bedrooms.. They get cleaned with a regular vacuum.

Probably the best thing about Roomba is that it's persistent ... it never cuts its job short like we humans might be tempted to do. Its cleaning pattern sometimes seems a little strange, but there must be a reason.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:11 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
The Roomba is ok, I got one about 5 years ago, it's really not a vacuum at all - it's a sweeper, no air suction involved. Does the job ok as long as the dirt is easily swept up, mine had the brushes that stick out & revolve like a clock break off fairly soon after starting. Also any electrical, extension, or curtain cords will get caught & tangled quite easily bringing all to a stop if not all elevated off the floor before beginning.
Wrong--it does have suction. https://store.irobot.com/default/roo...0/R690020.html

"....and vacuum suction to clean everything from small particles to large debris off your floor."

Also, you have to elevate cords off the floor when you're using a regular vacuum anyway, what's the difference. Also, the brush that sticks out and revolves has never broken off my Roomba in 15 years.

It's also amazing at picking up pet hair.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:31 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
My Roomba is at the top of the list of items to grab in the event of an emergency evacuation.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:11 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
I have had 3 or 4 Roombas over the years, every time one breaks I buy a new one. They are extremely good for deep cleaning carpets. I have a Dyson and I can thoroughly vacuum with that, then run the Roomba over the same carpet and pick up more dust and debris with it that the Dyson missed. I especially like it for cleaning under beds and tables it's much easier than with any other vacuum. The only problem is that Roomba's have trouble with dark colored throw rugs, it's like they are allergic to them, after all the years they've been on the market that's the one thing they still haven't completely resolved.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:27 AM

30,500 posts, read 16,206,257 times
I have an area rug with fringed edges. Hate the fringe but love the rug.

Anyway, how would one of these contraptions handle fringe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement