Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 07:50 AM

10,845 posts, read 14,989,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Sorry, do you know WHICH model of Neato, please? There are many of them on the market.
We purchased ours maybe two years ago now and we just love it. Since we got it I have become a believer that husbands and wives should share in the chores about the home and I've taken vacuuming the home as my responsibility.

Botvac D Series
COMPARE MODELS
MODELS D80 / D85

Quote:
The high-performance robot vacuum, specially designed to pick up all types of hair—ideal for homes with pets.
You will have to empty it more often because it really picks up stuff your normal vacuum would never reach.

Sometimes it will be stuck under furniture or maybe the the legs of the dining room chairs. When stuck it will beep and after it happens a couple times you learn to move a chair out or whatever.

We own a vacuum for the stairs. That is about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 12:32 PM

3,211 posts, read 3,008,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
How noisy are they? Do you run it only when you are out of the house? And will it stop at the top of a stairway? (I have 2 steps down to my living room.)

They are noisy on wood floors, because most things are noisy on wood floors. On carpet, I don't find it's noisy at all, just a humming sound.

My nephew replaced all his carpeting with wood floors, and now his house echoes, even voices sound louder without carpeting to dull the sounds, so any vacuuming they do is very loud, roomba or not.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 PM

4,553 posts, read 3,805,061 times
We got one for a Christmas present this year. I was ambivalent, if I want something I buy it and a robot vacuum wasn’t something I gave thought to. After giving it a chance, I have decided I like it after all. I can vacuum the main areas quickly with a stick vac and do daily with pets. I find the robot is great for letting go in the bedrooms and going under the beds. I’ll see if I use it more in the future.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:40 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,085,737 times
We had a similar issue with dog hair. That old beagle finally gave up the ghost so we replaced him is a new model Vizsla. His hair is so fine that it's literally not noticeable.

Oh yeah, we had a Neato XV-11 purchased in Dec 2010. Both springs broke, the batteries didn't last more than a year or two - we junked it after six years.

Now we have cleaning ladies come every-other-Monday. Problem solved. lol

Old 01-10-2019, 12:50 PM

3,492 posts, read 1,528,934 times
We just recently purchased an iRobot 960 and have had it for about a month now. We think it does a pretty remarkable job of keeping the floors (hardwood and area rugs) clean in between our “major manual sweeping/cleaning efforts”. Getting one and emptying the dust bin made me realize that we were apparently living in filth up until now. I think it cleans well, but it is a bit noisy, and the dust bin is somewhat small and needs to be emptied more than I would prefer, but overall a remarkable piece of technology that has made our lives a bit easier.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:03 PM

34,246 posts, read 83,476,952 times
I want one of the big ones like they use in Finland to clean up the brush in their forests.
Attached Thumbnails
Robot vacuum cleaners for retirees-forest-roomba-action.jpg  

Old 01-10-2019, 03:44 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,071,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Sorry, do you know WHICH model of Neato, please? There are many of them on the market.
Late response I know but go with either the D5 or the D7. They are the newer models...I have the D5 and it's great. The D7 is their top model...the one big difference between D5 and the D7 was that you can set up "virtual walls" via a mapping program on the D7 - this allows you to draw off lines and exclude the vacuum from where you don't want it to go. But NOW they all will have that option which is great. With the lower models you used to have to use magnetic strips (across a doorway to a room for example) to prevent the vac from going into the room - now that they added that feature it's not as big a draw.Both have drop sensors though so the sense the edge at the top of the stairs and will not proceed or fall.The D7 also has a larger, longer lasting battery (again ...not needed for my floorplan but might be necessary in very large houses.

https://moderncastle.com/vacuum-clea...eato-d5-vs-d7/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUf6hYP53Fo

Old 01-11-2019, 03:58 AM

4,553 posts, read 3,805,061 times
This discipussion on Roombas and vacuuming robots made me remember a cartoon I liked as a kid. It’s an old Warner Brothers cartoon with two mice who get into a house of the future. I loved the cleaning robot and the music every time it comes out of a closet when something is dropped on the floor. I’m hearing that music/earwig now whenever our robot is on the loose.

Warning: The video quality isn’t the best and there is mouse on mouse violence

http://https://dai.ly/x2tq8t

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-11-2019 at 04:12 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 02:29 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,554,954 times
I've posted, several times, about how I bought my first Roomba 10 years ago and fell so in love that I bought one for each room. eBay always has both new Roombas and reworked ones -- my favorites are the older models, the 4000 series. I particularly enjoy the one I have plugged in in the garage. It gets all the dirt and leaves that collect there.

And someone once asked me if I didnt mind that Roombas can be noisy on hard floors (my entire house is tiled). My reply was that it never bothers me to hear someone/something else doing my vacuuming.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:42 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,554,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've had a Roomba for 5 years, and love it...I keep considering getting the one that mops.... but always put it off.

I love my Roombas so much that I also bought the mopping Roomba. I wasnt that fond of it, though -- the mopping one just didnt seem to clean as well as the vacuum ones did. The mopping one also left a lot of streaking. This was 5+ years ago so maybe they've been improved since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement