Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:34 PM

15,259 posts, read 13,102,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW to NEPA View Post
I do shudder at moments when I sense distant tones of my mother surfacing in me.
I hear ya.

We could do a whole 'nother thread on "Did you turn out to be more like your mother|father than you expected"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 09:06 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,912,529 times
My dad always said, "learn a trade and you'll never go hungry." He was right. I never got a four-year degree, but I never went without work. And I always had enough to pay the bills and then some.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:29 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,589,065 times
I was a latchkey kid by age 10, raised by a single mom who worked hard and long for very low wages, then partied hard and long after work. What that taught me was the value of resilience, independence, self-reliance, and the importance of job and wage equity for women.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:46 PM

19,760 posts, read 9,678,574 times
Guess tying shoes, reading, saving money (stressing savings accounts). The later reminds me so much of the 1st Mary Poppins movie.

My Mom some cooking and baking, when she felt up to it. I wasn't up to her standards though but her Mom was easier with me. I did remember her Mom trying to tell my mom to give me a chance. I don't think it took though.

I think Dad taught me some basic swimming. I do like to go in the water and I used to be too daring when I was younger. Wanted to get into Coast Guard or Navy in scuba to help rescues but Navy put a kibosh on that, something to do with going deep and it being a health issue for me. I don't remember exactly, been too many years. I did get in the Navy, just a different job.

Dad taught me the basics of changing a tire but all before the shops use those super bolt tighteners. Smart enough now, I go with AAA.

Riding a bicycle. Think I can credit both parents. Every time I see that commercial where the mother pulls out the wrench to take off the training wheels, makes me smile a bit.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:40 PM

16,248 posts, read 10,972,777 times
I learned a lot simply by observation and experience. My dad didn't even teach me to drive. I have my parent's values, religion, and stable loyalty. I learned by their mistakes and flaws and their strengths and commitment to each other and us two kids. They always had time for us. I think that is what familial love is made of.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:24 AM

2,715 posts, read 3,423,697 times
Hard work pays off......if you're sore....keep your head down and keep moving to get the job done. Never, ever, ever hit a woman (lived thru Mom's weekly beatings).....stand by your mate, right wrong or indifferent, have her back. Treat your woman like a queen that she is....sacrifice whatever you need to, make her the reason you breathe.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:37 AM

13,309 posts, read 8,564,425 times
Didn't know my Bio dad that well. What I garnered from his antics and life style was that women were possessions to be disposed of...and heaven forbid If I ever challenged his mindset. He was though of an 8th grade education....self taught in engineering and had a tenacity for turning two bucks into a hundred. He did so enjoy being a hustler at the local bars. He set a fine example how to be a drunk...which later I would walk that plank and eventually walk the road thru recovery.

My Mom though...she taught each of us kids:
READ
EARN,
BE Punctual,
Respect your elders.
Family values/traditions were cherished and honored.
Resiliency.

She loved to knit and do crafts. So that was something to behold come certain holidays....
She was either really good at cooking or we had some humdinger of meals that I questioned how we survived! I sure didn't get my zeal for cleaning from her...She and I definitely complimented the other on that skill. She'd be the messy marvin...and I enjoyed making things shine ...be dust free or organized. The funny thing is....She used to have flour everywhere when she baked...and boy could she bake! Her tops would often have markings (evidence) of what was being conjured up for us kids! Now when I attempt to make one of her recipes...I look down at my shirt...and there is the flour and all the spices on my shirt. I like to think sometimes that is what she left me when she was called to heaven.

Her compassion was non discriminatory and applied to each human and animal alike.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:30 AM

4,553 posts, read 3,809,076 times
My parents taught me the usual things. More than that though, I grew up with the confidence I could do things I watched them do in daily life. Or I could choose not to do some things they did.

A friend was in awe when she came over one day and there were homemade noodles hanging throughout the kitchen drying out. I was surprised, to me it was a totally mundane task. I had watched my grandmothers and Mom making them through the years and it was no big deal. My friend’s Mom did not cook much, so she thought it was amazing.

I learned there were choices and consequences in life, financially. My younger sister asked my Dad why we couldn’t live in the nicest subdivision in our school system. He answered that we could, but we would no longer be able to go our yearly vacation, we wouldn’t have as many new clothes and he would need to be away more as he picked up more overtime. That stuck with me.

Dad had a green thumb and I inherited it. If something wasn’t working in his garden, it was tossed out and replaced with something else. It’s come full circle with my son who also loves to garden. He’s added a twist to the non-performers in the garden. He told me if my plants aren’t doing well in one area, move them to another place in the yard, they just need the right spot. I can look back to Dad and forward to my son, taking from each what works for me.

I love the circle of life, not only is the circular path never ending, but that circle is rolling forward.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-07-2019 at 07:21 AM..

Old 01-07-2019, 06:32 AM

8,316 posts, read 8,761,282 times
Payroll deduction so you never miss the money.

Read. I always got a book when I went shopping with my mom. Chip Hilton or Biff Brewster if we went to a department store or a series book from the grocery store (where the first one was a penny and the rest were about 59 cents each.)

Adults were never called by their first name.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:44 AM

35,306 posts, read 31,695,045 times
The need for education.

My parents went to college, but dad worked in blue collar occupations, and mom worked at a bank. Neither did what they went to school for. Still, they always tried to instill in me that education was meaningful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement