Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:37 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,573,603 times

Advertisements

My parents taught me the Bible, how to be Christ like (I stumble, but have a good handle on being more like Christ daily) and independence. I remember my dad taking me outside one night to see a double murder on my block (gang related) and he told me "Son, this is what happens when you choose the thug life, you get your brains blown out." When he did that, I made up in my mind that I would not get involved in gangs or the thug life even though I grew up in the Houston ghetto. My parents were helpful in me conquering my stuttering issue as a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 11:37 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,811,026 times
First thing that came to my mind:

Not to Waste. Being born after Great Depression did this...I still have this way of life.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:39 PM

776 posts, read 958,597 times
How to be me, not somebody else's idea of what I should be.

How to tie my shoe laces, and iron my shirts. How to see the funny bits in life.

How to dress well on a limited budget as a young man in my first full time job.

How to succeed without " going to college " by watching the college boys selling shoes after getting their precious degree. My hands were rough but so was my sense of humour.

Be careful about who you make friends with. Stay away from the crazy drunks who want to fight the world after 4 drinks.

Save. Be frugal, and take out the garbage.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:50 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,997,265 times
Don’t tug on Superman’s cape, don’t spit into the wind, don’t pull the mask on the old
Lone Ranger..... and don’t mess around with Jim.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:51 PM

37,509 posts, read 61,537,745 times
My parents [and their parents] were very much in shell-shock left over from the Great Depression. None of them could believe how prosperous the nation was in the 1960s and 70s.

I was taught how to survive during a Depression and to be ready for the next Depression.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:22 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,662,635 times
Too be kind to people and help when needed like this woman that I take care of that would be homeless and living on the street and has Bi-polar which her own children has no care about at all. Could you imagine her own children don't know anything about where their own mother is living? She could be living in a ditch or under a bridge they don't care.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:34 PM

4,855 posts, read 3,659,837 times
Best advice my mother ever gave me:

Make your own security (meaning financial security), don't depend on anyone to do it for you.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:36 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,958,112 times
My childhood wasn't so good.

My father died when I was two years old and the only memory I have of him is sitting in a man's lap looking at horses. I'm not even sure it is a memory it just might be a memory of a memory.

My mother remarried when I was five and she could have done much, much better.

He was a drunk, liver cancer killed him, and I lived my life from my early years doing everything OPPOSITE of what he did or would have done.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:40 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,735,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
My mom's main advice to us and granddaughters

Have lots of boyfriends and don't marry anyone that already has kids. We still laugh about it to this day. It was funny, but really good advice. Too many young girls around here would take off with the first guy they met. Then since divorce is frowned upon, lead to years of misery - affairs, drinking etc. Just do that when you are single.
This reminded me of another thing my mom always said "date around and try them all for size". She was so right, told me that if I felt at all uneasy with a guy, the way he treated me or others or even if he did things that I might have overlooked due to "luv", then imagine that in 5 years, 10 years etc. I broke up with a few who looked really good on paper. But when one told me how to fold towels and I asked him why he did it that way and he told me that is how is mother told him to, and he insisted that is the only way to do it, I noped out of that relationship. When I met my current husband and it got serious I asked him how he folded towels. He said he had two, one was hanging on the towel rack and the other was wet on the floor. I figured I could live with that...

She also told me to always, always buy the most expensive shoes you can afford. As long as they were a classical style, they would last. She was right and my feet thank her.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:38 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,124,746 times
This has been so interesting to me. When you grow up a certain way, whether good or not so good, you tend to believe everyone lived like you did. My humble opinion.

As I've read your posts, I've really envied some of you. Sounds like such caring parents, taught you good things. Sounds like some of you knew you were loved and no comparisons made to a sibling, etc.

Other posts by you have similar sounding aspects to mine. Good to know we survived.

Thank you all for sharing so openly about yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement