Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 05:19 PM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
There are actually more than we all think. BlueRidge Ga has quite a few gay owned businesses. In most other areas there a quite a few, couples mainly but just not as visible as in larger cities. I think it’s best for our country if Americans mix more rather than stay in certain areas. But I do understand the need and power for minorities to group in areas for safety and support.
Yes I imagine there are gay owned businesses there.

I have also always felt its better for Americans to mix, rather than stay in certain areas. I'm not so sure any more if its the best thing to do. After living in such a, conservative family region of Fla as I do. Simply because its the more affordable region of Fla. Where I'm positive I've been treated with regional prejudice. After hearing this past week of the No Gay sign in a Tenn store. I really think my interest and tolerance for the south is waning. I need to live where there are other likeminded people. I don't think I'm someone that can live in the south, even its cities. I didn't grow up or spend my life in the southeast. and feel very out of place here. I find it very unfriendly and the mindsets/behaviours scare me. That is a dangerous position to be in at my age. I think Polk County Fla is not all that welcoming to all.

During the summer if all goes well, I hope I'm able to fix and remedy this situation. I'm just going to concentrate on the West. Unfortunately some things are not in my control, and I've had to accept that fact. So see what happens.

Let us know how your research and plans go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 06:21 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Wish you the best in your sale and new home. I understand completely what you have said about Florida and yes I have found that outside of the cities Florida can be worse than many other southern states when it comes to prejudice and discrimination.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Thanks for your comments. I wish all of us the best on our journey.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:29 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Quote:
After hearing this past week of the No Gay sign in a Tenn store. I really think my interest and tolerance for the south is waning.
Very strange that you would rule out an entire region because of one (1) store owner. That's giving them a lot of power over you, isn't it. It might be interesting to see what kind of follow up response comes from the community. There was a news report a year or so back about a store owner posting a bigoted sign in Dahlonega Georgia , against gays or some other minority, and the community rallied around to demonstrate they don't share the bigotry.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Very strange that you would rule out an entire region because of one (1) store owner. That's giving them a lot of power over you, isn't it. It might be interesting to see what kind of follow up response comes from the community. There was a news report a year or so back about a store owner posting a bigoted sign in Dahlonega Georgia , against gays or some other minority, and the community rallied around to demonstrate they don't share the bigotry.
The sign you refer to in Dahlonega was supporting the KKK and yes there was community protest regarding it. I agree with you that one such thing should not have him disqualify an entire region nor state. As I stated I have visited Tennessee,North Carolina and North Georgia, including Dahlonega in my retirement location plans but I also understand that these areas are more likely to also hold a higher % of people that will also posts these types of signs and populations that would agree with them than other areas.

At the end each one of us must make their own decisions on what they are looking for and what conditions you are willing to live with. Being a gay person there is this one more situation you must be awared of and it’s not just a sign in a store or bad looks, or comments. It’s actually physical harm that may happen to you or even how you will be treated in a hospital.

Sometimes that’s hard to understand for those that aren’t gay. At the end my advice is to always try to look into locations, areas with higher educated people which are usually more open minded.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:02 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
I'd like to say that there is probably no region in the US that is perfect in this regard. Perhaps that is obvious to most people. The topic reminds me of a news item I read years ago, of a gay (male) couple who lived in a small town in northern California and were (purportedly) murdered because of who they were. In "liberal" (supposedly) northern California. Its easy to imagine that the couple were outsiders who moved there without having connections to the local society, but that is pure speculation on my part. In any case, from other experiences I've had there, it seems clear to me that there are plenty of conservative types in rural California and elsewhere in the "west". Most are fine people, I'm sure, but there can also be crazies embedded in their midst. The same goes for Texas. The deep South, I don't know so well, but I think that there are gay people in most small communities ... and experiences may vary. I can imagine its better if one is from a well-to-do local family instead of being poor or an outsider.

I visit northern New Mexico once or twice a year. I remember driving into the town of Pecos NM and seeing a rather nice wooden cabin on the approach into town from the west, with a rainbow flag out front. The last times I drove by there, the house looked abandoned and the flag was gone. I have no idea what caused the change, but its easy to imagine things. Perhaps that is a similar example of possible conclusion-jumping as that discussed above.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I'd like to say that there is probably no region in the US that is perfect in this regard. Perhaps that is obvious to most people. The topic reminds me of a news item I read years ago, of a gay (male) couple who lived in a small town in northern California and were (purportedly) murdered because of who they were. In "liberal" (supposedly) northern California. Its easy to imagine that the couple were outsiders who moved there without having connections to the local society, but that is pure speculation on my part. In any case, from other experiences I've had there, it seems clear to me that there are plenty of conservative types in rural California and elsewhere in the "west". Most are fine people, I'm sure, but there can also be crazies embedded in their midst. The same goes for Texas. The deep South, I don't know so well, but I think that there are gay people in most small communities ... and experiences may vary. I can imagine its better if one is from a well-to-do local family instead of being poor or an outsider.

I visit northern New Mexico once or twice a year. I remember driving into the town of Pecos NM and seeing a rather nice wooden cabin on the approach into town from the west, with a rainbow flag out front. The last times I drove by there, the house looked abandoned and the flag was gone. I have no idea what caused the change, but its easy to imagine things. Perhaps that is a similar example of possible conclusion-jumping as that discussed above.
I absolutely agree with you that it can happen anywhere but as I stated in a more rural poorer area of town you are more likely to encounter types that not only will object to you being gay but may take steps to harm you for it. There are plenty of gay couples 5hat I have encountered traveling in the rural south towns but most are unlikely to notice driving by because they are not going to be putting up any flags etc that would attract unwarranted attention.
I think it’s sad but the reality that anyone in this day and age has to keep hidden how they live their life for fear of violence from their neighbors.

With that said there are some fine people living in those areas and towns like Dahlonega are very nice towns.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:09 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I'd like to say that there is probably no region in the US that is perfect in this regard. Perhaps that is obvious to most people. The topic reminds me of a news item I read years ago, of a gay (male) couple who lived in a small town in northern California and were (purportedly) murdered because of who they were. In "liberal" (supposedly) northern California.
I believe you are referring to the Matson/Mowder murders:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...infield_Mowder

They lived in Redding, a most un-liberal area of CA. It's a common misconception about CA that the whole state can be divided into SF (northern CA) or LA (southern CA) when in fact CA is a huge and variable state, geographically, socially, economically and politically. Outside of the SF, Sac, and a few coastal areas, "northern" CA is pretty solidly "trumpish" with very vocal "state of Jefferson" and white pride sentiment. Our local reps, including Doug LaMalfa and Tom McClintock, are sadly representative of the most virulent form of right wing radicalism.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:51 AM

Yes I remember this tragic incident in Redding. There was also another one a few hours North. 2 Lesbian Real Estate Agents were found murdered in Southern Oregon. They were showing a property, to someone that intentionally targeted them. It is true many want this region of NoCal, and at least part of Oregon to become Jefferson. For some reason this region attacks some hateful groups.

I know its not just in the southeast. California as well as Oregon and Washington, are not completely liberal regions. I lived in the region for close to 20 years of my life. There is ignorance everywhere and I know that. Its just some areas attrack more of it, and I've experienced it. Im more careful because of it, but I don't live in a shell either. No one tells me where I get to go in America. However I'm going to be more comfortable in Live and Let Live regions.

I'd rather retire in some areas of Calif. That is really where I should be, and anyone that knows me would say so. Its just like for so many now. I'm completely priced out even renting. I'm completely amazed the state has not had to, declare a State of Emergency over housing issues in CA.

A few months ago I applied for senior apts in San Diego. A brand new development just down the street, from where I once lived in working years. I was called and they told me the waiting list had to be closed. Reason being the units which were still rather expensive for retirees were immediately rented. They were rented from the moment ground was broken for construction. The waiting List was closed because it had hit 500 people waiting for units. Its a 75 unit complex. A person would be waiting years for a unit to open. So scratch that idea.

Anyone living in the Western States, that formerly lived in Calif or Oregon? Where did you retire to, and did COL force you out when retirement. came?

Old 06-16-2018, 11:00 AM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Sounds like you have some great plans for yourself. I know what you mean about parts of Fla being expensive. Mainly where you live. I think many people would be surprised, just how expensive South Fla is.

I can't say I've met any gay people, that have retired to Tenn or rural GA. If you decide on those regions, I hope the areas will meet your needs.

Your correct every place will have pluses and negatives.
My husband and I are building a house in TN. We are liberal and have met quite a few gay people there, which is a pleasant surprise. Our experience is that the conservatives we have met have been very accepting of the gays.

One of my best friends lives near San Francisco, and though she is liberal, she has had a problem fitting in with other liberals. My experience is there are some very snotty liberal people and some very nice, accepting conservative people who will help you in any way they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement