Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 12:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,285,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The car give-aways with a key that could start a car to win come fairly regular too.
I gave my 4 year old granddaughter a keychain with some old keys and when we get one of those give-aways with a key, I add it to her keychain. She loves that she has her own set of keys and as a bonus, they work to open the trunk of her Barbie Volkswagen Beetle.

I was doing the same thing with the fake plastic credit cards they send in the mail - I was adding to a collection for her. Then I decided I didn't want to encourage her to collect credit cards, so I got rid of those and don't give them to her anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 01:38 PM

4,284 posts, read 5,946,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I was doing the same thing with the fake plastic credit cards they send in the mail - I was adding to a collection for her. Then I decided I didn't want to encourage her to collect credit cards, so I got rid of those and don't give them to her anymore.
When our youngest niece turned one year old I was shocked to see that she was most excited about the fake credit card that came as an accessory with a Play Store type of toy, and a fake cell phone that came as an accessory with some other otherwise innocuous toy.

At one year of age she knew what these were! Apparently her mother spends a lot of time on the cell phone and a lot of time shopping using credit cards. I say the mother because her parents aren't married and my B-I-L never turns his cell phone ON, and is 'tighter than bark on a tree' when it comes to spending money - fearing that any CC purchase will cost him extra. He even pays cash for his gasoline, making two trips to the cashier, regardless of the weather, to shout at the attendant through bullet proof Lexan rather than insert a credit card in the pump.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:54 PM

676 posts, read 723,236 times
[quote=TwinbrookNine;55077296]Avoid Medicare "Advantage" programs if you can. Just read the fine print. Research the options (varies from state to state).[/QUOTE

No choice. Where I live supplemental plans are almost 400.00 a month.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:28 PM

16,116 posts, read 10,787,662 times
What I hate are the cremation ads.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:40 PM

6,780 posts, read 5,501,234 times
[quote=Marble cake;55079634]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Avoid Medicare "Advantage" programs if you can. Just read the fine print. Research the options (varies from state to state).[/QUOTE

No choice. Where I live supplemental plans are almost 400.00 a month.
Hmm. I live in NY, and my AARP supplemental {from United Healthcare} just went up to $205.

Between that and my medicare,, I NEVER see a bill.

And I've never had a procedure/surgery/testing/treatment turned down.

And is available to me anywhere in the country, though I have never tested it out.

It is worth the $205 to me to NEVER SEE A BILL. AS I have many serious/chronic/continuing medical issues.

But to each his own, or to each his affordable own.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:06 AM

676 posts, read 723,236 times
[quote=galaxyhi;55081435]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post

Hmm. I live in NY, and my AARP supplemental {from United Healthcare} just went up to $205.

Between that and my medicare,, I NEVER see a bill.

And I've never had a procedure/surgery/testing/treatment turned down.

And is available to me anywhere in the country, though I have never tested it out.

It is worth the $205 to me to NEVER SEE A BILL. AS I have many serious/chronic/continuing medical issues.

But to each his own, or to each his affordable own.

It’s not to each his own. My husband had that supplemental and fought cancer for 3 years with every test, surgery, procedure imaginable. And he was treated in 2 different states. Never saw a bill. And at that time I only paid 157.00 a month in Pennsylvania.

And are you aware that as you age what you pay each month will go up? It varies from state to state and goes by how old you are when you get it, then rises from there. With your medical problems it’s wonderful and you’re fortunate to live where the premium isn’t outrageously expensive like here. Or perhaps you can afford any premium.

So I’m quite aware of the plan you speak of!!!! It is an excellent plan. The rolls Royce of Medicare plans so to speak. BUT NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD IT. So to make a general statement that medical advantage plans are to be avoided is unfair in my opinion. They can be good options for some.

I chose a Med advantage plan that I can go anywhere in the us. Zero pay for primary doctor. No premium. No referrals. Yes it has a deductible but so did the insurance I had prior to Medicare before I turned 65. I’m healthy now so it’s working well.

If I decide to move in the future I’ll reconsider my health plan and go with the supplemental.

Good for you that you are able to have it. Others can’t.

Last edited by Marble cake; 05-02-2019 at 12:43 AM..

Old 05-02-2019, 04:21 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,219,343 times
Save everything printed on one side only. Never buy printer paper or scratch pads again

Old 05-02-2019, 12:02 PM

5,854 posts, read 5,294,463 times
I get ads for car insurance all the time. The thing is, I don't drive. We also got an invite to one of those financial seminars. We went-hell, it was a free meal-and a good one at that. But, we didn't buy into what they were selling. And I keep getting something from a health insurance company that deals with tricare (military dependent health insurance). I get my health care from the V.A. I don't NEED it-but they keep sending me info about it anyway.

In December, I learned that someone sold my info because I was getting requests for $$$ from I don't know how many organizations. But along with the requests, I received: return labels, note pads, return labels, pens, return labels, greeting cards, return labels, key chains, return labels, a dream catcher, return labels, calendars, return labels, appointment books. Did I mention return labels?

I think I have enough return labels to last me for the rest of my life!

Cat

Old 05-02-2019, 12:57 PM

5,457 posts, read 4,068,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I get ads for car insurance all the time. The thing is, I don't drive. We also got an invite to one of those financial seminars. We went-hell, it was a free meal-and a good one at that. But, we didn't buy into what they were selling. And I keep getting something from a health insurance company that deals with tricare (military dependent health insurance). I get my health care from the V.A. I don't NEED it-but they keep sending me info about it anyway.

In December, I learned that someone sold my info because I was getting requests for $$$ from I don't know how many organizations. But along with the requests, I received: return labels, note pads, return labels, pens, return labels, greeting cards, return labels, key chains, return labels, a dream catcher, return labels, calendars, return labels, appointment books. Did I mention return labels?

I think I have enough return labels to last me for the rest of my life!

Cat

Me too!! I use them for tape sometimes, and the ones with a lot of blank space are good for labeling food containers in the kitchen.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:43 PM

7,789 posts, read 6,406,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I often get mail telling me I need better car insurance which is funny because I've never owned a car in my life.
I get endless solicitations stating that my car warranty is running out and I need to buy their aftermarket policy. My car is 7 years old but has only 26K miles on it. We keep a recycle bag between our recliners for mail like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement