Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 07:00 PM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Many localities have people who enter private nursing homes as paying customers yet when they are there either a year or two they will accept medicaid assignment ..some states don’t even have Medicaid homes .all homes are private but the homes have a certain amount of Medicaid beds .

So Medicaid does not mean some ratty home or care .

In fact all states today have some sort of partnership plans available...that is where you usually take 3 years insurance and then when it runs out Medicaid will pay the bills .

Our state New York is one of two states that offer total asset partnership plans .

We got 3 years coverage and once the insurance is up Medicaid takes over the bills ...all assets are 100% protected , with no spend down , no look back ,no nothing .in fact there is no income restriction on the stay at home spouse .

The more common partnership plan is called dollar for a dollar ..that means of Medicaid spends 250k on care to pick a number than two hundred k is protected .

So not all Medicaid use is mooching off tax payers
My mom's facility required private pay for 18 months and then they will allow a resident to stay on Medicaid. She ended up being able to pay for about 3 years, was between $150,000 and $200,000 spent at the facility before she went on Medicaid. I think she did pretty good for a secretary with a $400 a month pension. She was no leech, she did her best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
A nursing home is not the only answer. There are board and care homes that serve 5-8 residents and have a on-site staff member at all times. Sometimes it's run by a couple with their own suite on-site and a few day-time helpers. Residents typically have a bedroom and an en suite bath, or a bath shared with one other resident. They have a common living, dining room and yard. 3 meals a day and snacks are provided, as well as medication assistance, assistance with toileting, dressing, etc. It's similar to a very hands on assisted living status, as opposed to a full-fledged, stay in bed most of the time, nursing home. Costs for this type of set-up are much cheaper than an actual assisted living facility with dozens or hundreds of residents. This family like atmosphere, with consistent staff and a small number of clients, is preferable to the typical institutional NH setting and the revolving door staff that changes every shift.
These are not in every state. I haven't heard of any in NJ and I have been working in geriatrics for 24 years.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:51 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
These are not in every state. I haven't heard of any in NJ and I have been working in geriatrics for 24 years.
Here's a list of all the types of elder housing in NJ.

https://www.state.nj.us/humanservice...gglossary.html

"Board and Care Homes" may be called different things in different places, but I think that they could be classified as "Adult Family Care" (AFC), class C "Boarding Homes", and "Residential Health Care Homes" (RHCH) in NJ. Not all neighborhoods are zoned for this, but in many places you can apply to the zoning board for a waiver as long as there is no HOA preventing this type of "business" in a residential zone.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Here's a list of all the types of elder housing in NJ.

https://www.state.nj.us/humanservice...gglossary.html

"Board and Care Homes" may be called different things in different places, but I think that they could be classified as "Adult Family Care" (AFC), class C "Boarding Homes", and "Residential Health Care Homes" (RHCH) in NJ. Not all neighborhoods are zoned for this, but in many places you can apply to the zoning board for a waiver as long as there is no HOA preventing this type of "business" in a residential zone.
Very interesting.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:22 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Quote:
A nursing home is not the only answer. There are board and care homes that serve 5-8 residents and have a on-site staff member at all times. Sometimes it's run by a couple with their own suite on-site and a few day-time helpers. Residents typically have a bedroom and an en suite bath, or a bath shared with one other resident. They have a common living, dining room and yard. 3 meals a day and snacks are provided, as well as medication assistance, assistance with toileting, dressing, etc. It's similar to a very hands on assisted living status, as opposed to a full-fledged, stay in bed most of the time, nursing home. Costs for this type of set-up are much cheaper than an actual assisted living facility with dozens or hundreds of residents. This family like atmosphere, with consistent staff and a small number of clients, is preferable to the typical institutional NH setting and the revolving door staff that changes every shift.
I think what you are describing here is at least sometimes called an Adult Family Home. My wife is now in one, due to Huntington's Disease. They take good care of her, but it's not cheap, so I am continuing to work, and am drawing down some retirement accounts to pay for her care. I have a pension and SS coming to me, so even if she drains all the IRA and 401k accounts (unlikely) I will be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement