Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 01:14 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times

Advertisements

I will put myself in the nursing home scenario but before I do let me say I am well aware of long term care insurance but some can not purchase it for any price due to pre-existing conditions. Let's assume I am one of those that can not purchase long term care insurance and haven't been able to for the last 10 years.

Home is paid for.

Car is relatively new and paid for.

Couple is certainly not rich. There's a total of between $80,000 and $100,000 in IRA's and savings accounts and that is it.

Husband and wife both receive social security which constitutes 75% of their total income.

Let's assume I develop severe memory problems and can no longer live at home and it is off to a nursing home where I will live at a cost of $70,000/year for the rest of my life.

What happens to the spouse and assets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 01:35 PM

253 posts, read 235,228 times
You seem to be from Ohio and I'm not from Ohio (it matters) so while you wait for someone who knows about the long term care options and consequences in Ohio, you might read this brief description:
Ohio Medicaid Nursing Home Eligibility Information & Rules For 2019

Old 07-06-2019, 01:37 PM

341 posts, read 285,280 times
You can qualify for med-cal if you can pass an assets test and income test. A home is not a countable asset but IRAs and investments are. {You'll really have to check the details on these...I'm generalizing.}
Talk to an estate planning attorney.
Gift away your countable assets to kids - otherwise, you'll have to spend those down before you qualify for medi-cal.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:21 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,540,768 times
I know for Medicaid there is a 5 year look back period for gifting money.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:25 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,486 times
Ohio may allow people to have a Qualified Income Trust which would take care of having too much monthly income to be covered by Medicaid. The money in the QIT pays for medical care and anything left over in the Trust is given to the State to reimburse for Medicaid spent on you.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:34 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Good to ask questions as you are. There are provisions that help preserve assets for the stay at home spouse. You should talk to an Elder attorney with Medicaid experience. There are some 5 year look back rules so planning now might be important. I think the rules can vary by state. There is some life insurance products than can be used for nursing home expenses and your state may have a plan. I would check your state web site for help for aging.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:35 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I will put myself in the nursing home scenario but before I do let me say I am well aware of long term care insurance but some can not purchase it for any price due to pre-existing conditions. Let's assume I am one of those that can not purchase long term care insurance and haven't been able to for the last 10 years.

Home is paid for.

Couple is certainly not rich. There's a total of between $80,000 and $100,000 in IRA's and savings accounts and that is it.

Husband and wife both receive social security which constitutes 75% of their total income.

Let's assume I develop severe memory problems and can no longer live at home and it is off to a nursing home where I will live at a cost of $70,000/year for the rest of my life.

Talk to an attorney... there are a few methods to preserve at least some of the assets using loans ...

Old 07-06-2019, 02:48 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
In my state (WI) there is a program called Medicaid and the Impoverished Spouse. The spouse that is living in the community can keep their house, one car, personal belonging as well as $50,000 of the joint assets. (note, under certain circumstances a spouse can keep more than $50,000 in Wisconsin. Other states may allow the spouse to keep more assets). The spouse in the community will receive an "allowance" of a specific amount of money to allow them to pay rent/mortgage, buy food and pay other bills (about $2,000 to $2,500 a month). Everything else goes to pay for their spouse in the nursing home. In my/our situation all of my late husband's SS (minus $50 a month) went to the nursing home plus an extra $1,000 a month that he was receiving in disability payments. This was much less than the actual nursing home costs.

If my husband would have lived after his disability payments ended I would not have had to kick in the extra $1,000 a month because that would have placed my monthly income below my allotted amount a month. Also, the state may not take all of the SS if the spouse needed it to reach their allowance level.

Check with an elder care attorney in your state to see if you have a similar program. I did not have to spend 100% of our assets before he/we qualified (just to $50,000).

Good luck.

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-06-2019 at 02:58 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 03:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Everyone went to Medicaid. What happened to standing on your own two feet? Wasn't there recently a whole public discourse on expanding Medicaid?

I thought folks hated people who leach off of taxpayers.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:08 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Home is paid for.

You might qualify for Medicaid. They pay for nursing home stays. You can have a home worth 505,000 dollars and still qualify. You do not have to sell your home even after you pass if your spouse or someone else in your family were living there and it was thier primary residence. Your spouse can stay in your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement