Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 08:24 AM

3,083 posts, read 2,213,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I wonder where they get those numbers from especially when you don't know how many people would not have gotten shingles to begin with.
Clinicaltrials.gov has results of all clinical trials. I have not looked specifically for shingles vaccine, but the reports are very detailed, albeit a bit technical. Obviously, the studies are done on a large enough sample size so that population averages can be applied appropriately.

PS: It is a good website - and includes even clinical trials that are being planned and are in the recruitment phase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 09:30 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
But I was curious, if anyone else has gotten the shots, did you have a reaction to them? Or is it, as my mother likes to point out, just me?
The Shingles vaccination I received was just a single shot and I had no reaction to receiving it. I cannot address your second question.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-16-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
The Shingles vaccination I received was just a single shot and I had no reaction to receiving it. I cannot address your second question.
Volasong - You likely received the older Zostavax vaccine. Depending upon age and certain other factors, it might make sense for you to receive the new Shingrix vaccine. Please research and/or discuss with your doctor.

The following is excerpted from the link below from the CDC - https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...rix/index.html

Healthy adults 50 years and older should get two doses of Shingrix, separated by 2 to 6 months. You should get Shingrix even if in the past you
  • had shingles
  • received Zostavax
  • are not sure if you had chickenpox
There is no maximum age for getting Shingrix.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:15 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Sounds like you got the old shot. The new one is Two shots and supposed to be much more effective.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:20 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
I did have chickenpox as a child. Do I still need the new shot?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-16-2019, 11:48 AM

I am not a doctor but I'd guess yes. It seems that the chickenpox virus goes dormant in the body and reactivates itself later in age to become shingles. So, chickenpox in childhood would seem to indicate that you are at risk of shingles and should definitely get the new vaccine. But please check with doctor or pharmacist, just in case.

From the link in the previous post - Chickenpox and shingles are related because they are caused by the same virus (varicella zoster virus). After a person recovers from chickenpox, the virus stays dormant (inactive) in the body. It can reactivate years later and cause shingles.

Last edited by kavm; 08-16-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 12:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Shingles mainly caused me deep itching and occasional sores on my back. Zostavax did nothing for me. The night after my second Shingrix shot was one of the worst I've ever spent. I had a fever and not a minute of sleep. I didn't think it had worked very well, but a year later, I realize that the itching and sores are gone. So perhaps you have to be patient about the results.
Wait, what? You got a Shingrix when you already had shingles?

Old 08-16-2019, 12:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
If you don’t want to get shingles, yes. Only people who have had chicken pox are likely to get shingles.

But speak with a doc about this.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:14 PM

92 posts, read 109,043 times
First shot my arm hurt for 2-3 days ... not bad at all. I'm going to get the second shot Monday morning and will report back later in the week.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:23 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
I would get the new shots. I have had shingles, you don’t want shingles. I got the old shot several years back, after I recovered from the shingles. I am now in the process of getting the new shots, have had the first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement