Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2020, 05:08 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,656,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
My son had to go into the work today. Him and his coworkers relocated everything that can be moved. Because of the unrest in Omaha.
This unrest brings back memories of 1971 when I was in the Coast Guard in Wilmington NC during the riot there. Out cutter tied up in downtown Wilmington and I can remember pulling a deck watch at night armed with my .45 sidearm along with three others with M1s . We pulled up our gangway and had strict instructions to not fire on anyone unless the officer of the deck instructed us to do so. The lieutenant JG who was the officer of the deck just kept saying to himself "God, please keep them away from us".

Luckily, the action stayed a few blocks from us but it was one heck of a scary time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 09:43 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
Actually sat down inside a restaurant and had a great lunch yesterday, servers were all wearing masks, no customers were. Just so good to be able to go someplace sit down and eat. I left the server a $20 tip on my $21 lunch. I feel like they really need the help right now.

Anyway, turn off the news, go fishing! I am.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Actually sat down inside a restaurant and had a great lunch yesterday, servers were all wearing masks, no customers were. Just so good to be able to go someplace sit down and eat. I left the server a $20 tip on my $21 lunch. I feel like they really need the help right now.

Anyway, turn off the news, go fishing! I am.

Can't do that here (central NY) yet.

Called for a hair appointment, got one but was told they are only doing cuts, no shampoo, etc.

People are still protesting. But I believe most of the violence has stopped.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:16 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,338 times
I am so fortunate to live way out in the country.

My worst news is it is bloody hot/humid and cleaning stalls was less fun than usual. When I recouperate, I have to drag the ice packs out and mow for another 2+ hours (it was 2-1/2 yesterday).

The good news is the AC is working, I am recouperating in my Feng Shui corner, watching the Red Bellied Woodpeckers give the Grackles what for, and watching the fun part of “Talk of the Townâ€, which is NOT the news, lollol

@jim9251 I hope you went fishing. Even if you didn’t catch anything, it was still a great day

@NYgal1542 my brother and SIL live in NE Ohio. They said everything is opened up, at least in their area. They are spending their 30th wedding anniversary at Geneva-On-The-Lake. That said, I will be interested to know if the Boardwalk is open and to what degree.

Down here (Middle Tennessee), I can’t even keep up. I live in an ag AG area and far removed from the violence in Nashville. DH said only about 10% of the people are now wearing masks in our local WalMart. Some restaurants are busy with carry outs, some are packed and. It adhering to social distancing, others are adhering to it.

I believe the term “yes, I guess not†applies, lol

Last edited by Normashirley; 06-03-2020 at 10:24 AM..

Old 06-03-2020, 11:28 AM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,656,302 times
You sure are right about the hot and humid! Just a few days ago, it was pleasant to do my walking before dinner. With highs in the mid/high 80s, summer is here for sure. Like you, glad that the A/C is working.

We have been pretty much hanging around home. With things going back to semi-normal, the number of virus cases have jumped substantially. Not much wearing of masks and people are all back in the stores etc.
So I keep the bird feeders filled and we both read books we get online. We will pretty much do that until the number of cases move in the down direction.

Looks like they had protest and counter-protest demonstrations in Cookeville but it was not a big deal; only one arrest

I have been playing around with a local online auction house lately. Bought a wood queen headboard for $32 and a nightstand for $27. Finally putting some furniture in the guest bedroom. This week I'm bidding on three chests of drawers (hoping to get one at a bargain price) and on a really pretty china cabinet that my wife wants. Still got 13 days left on the auction, so we'll see how that goes.

My small vegetable patch is doing well. Tomatoes are blossoming and the cherry tomato has set some. Peppers are blooming and the cucumbers, zucchini, radishes and carrots are all up and doing well. Can't wait for those first tomatoes!

A friend of mine went fishing the other day and caught a bunch of hybrid striped bass. Next time he goes, I'm going to go along. It's been a long time since I have been fishing.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:58 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,529,453 times
Quote:
Actually sat down inside a restaurant and had a great lunch yesterday, servers were all wearing masks, no customers were. Just so good to be able to go someplace sit down and eat.
It'll be a long time before I do that, not because of Covid fear but because it would just be too depressing to sit in a place that's at best only 1/3 full, due to restrictions in our state.

For the long haul, we'll continue to do takeout, which thankfully is abundant here. Several times we've picked up takeout & then had a picnic in local parks & nearby national forests.

Works for us. Occasionally we start to reminisce about the good times of eating out, then we remind each other than in the time & place we grew up, eating out was just not a thing that people did. Yet life was good.
The huge downside of course is the massive loss of server jobs. Don't see a fix for that, now or ever.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:40 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
@ JRR,

Striped Bass are one of my favorite fish to catch. In 1988, I caught a 45 lber in the San Luis O'Neill Forebay, CA. Lots of fun. I released the bigg'uns, kept some smaller fish to fillet & deep fry...yum.
They are mighty tasty with homemade coleslaw & fresh made French fries (cold beer).

Old 06-04-2020, 07:54 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Can't do that here (central NY) yet.

Called for a hair appointment, got one but was told they are only doing cuts, no shampoo, etc.

People are still protesting. But I believe most of the violence has stopped.
Wait, you can riot but can't get a haircut? That's nuts!

Old 06-04-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Wait, you can riot but can't get a haircut? That's nuts!

Tell me about it!!

Just read about a shooting not too far from here. The bullet went across Rt. 11 which is a major road connecting south and north. Police involved. I don't think a person stopped the bullet. I need to read the rest of the article. But the headline caught my attention.

The other night two houses (near me) were shot at. Houses stopped the bullets.

Getting to be a "fun" neighborhood.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:44 AM

More: Bordering neighborhood had a black bear roaming yards a few nights ago. Very populated (with people!). He/she was caught on a "ring" camera.

I try to not go out after dusk. Never know what kind of "fun" I might run into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement