Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2020, 11:13 AM

5,948 posts, read 5,117,063 times

Advertisements

JRR -- good to see you are posting and are OK. What a scary time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I threw caution to the wind today. Bought a case of Coronas and had Chinese for lunch.

I'm a wild man!

You are just a wild and crazy guy!

Old 03-04-2020, 05:33 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
The big brown truck delivered my new bike today. Took about a half hour to put it together and adjust it. "Scooted" around the neighborhood and got a few looks. In a retirement community? An "old guy"? What's he up to now?

It's fun. Faster than walking, but not as fast as a bicycle. Need to work on the foot exchanges. It's a Kickbike Race Max 20. Designed in Finland, and made in you know where, (just like about everything else these days).
Attached Thumbnails
Chat Thread II-racemax20.jpg  

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-04-2020, 07:31 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,760,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
The big brown truck delivered my new bike today. Took about a half hour to put it together and adjust it. "Scooted" around the neighborhood and got a few looks. In a retirement community? An "old guy"? What's he up to now?

It's fun. Faster than walking, but not as fast as a bicycle. Need to work on the foot exchanges. It's a Kickbike Race Max 20. Designed in Finland, and made in you know where, (just like about everything else these days).
I love it! I’d probably opt for the electric one. I could kick until I ran out of steam and then use the motor to get back home. That’s always the problem I have with bikes and kayaks: I forget I have to get back. I found there is a KickbikeUS store in Windmere, over by Orlando.

Enjoy, it looks like fun. Are you going to dog mush with it?

Old 03-04-2020, 09:54 PM

19,538 posts, read 9,552,731 times
This morning I saw that new James Bond movie is coming to one of our fave theatres in early-mid April. Then on the news this evening, said they were pushing the release date back to November. Someone on there mentioned that it had to do with the corona virus. I can see it not playing in some areas but if the movie has been completed, why can't it play in other areas? Also noticed that UK release for this movie is about a week or two ahead of US release. Interesting. Are there times when movies get released in the US before UK? Just wondering what is behind that. Is it based on % of cast being from a particular area? Guess I was under the impression when a movie comes out, it's played all over within at least a day or two. Never imagined it was in weeks. This is one of those cases where I learn something new [every day]

Old 03-04-2020, 10:10 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Enjoy, it looks like fun. Are you going to dog mush with it?
Thanks. Mushing would not be appropriate for my situation. Have only had my two rescues for about six weeks now and they are about 15-17 pounds each. Maltese mix, I was told. I'd probably be arrested for animal cruelty if I was caught mushing with them.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-04-2020, 10:13 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,760,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Thanks. Mushing would not be appropriate for my situation. Have only had my two rescues for about six weeks now and they are about 15-17 pounds each. Maltese mix, I was told. I'd probably be arrested for animal cruelty if I was caught mushing with them.
thank you for the nice visual of a man mushing with two very small dogs. It’s a good way to end my day.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:58 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
Spent yesterday in Knoxville at the University of Tennessee Hospital. My wife had surgery on her arm to remove another area of cancer. Everything went fine, but I sure can think of more fun things to do than spend the day in a hospital waiting room. Though you do get to see a cross section of people there and it is amazing how much people discuss their personal lives in public.

My wife had a bad night with pain so she is dozing in the recliner. I'm go out in a bit to do grocery shopping and to look at a cherry chest of drawers that is part of an online auction. It would go very nicely in our second bedroom.

No more fatalities from the tornado and everyone is accounted for. Now it is a matter of cleanup and rebuild. So many people showed up to help that they had to turn folks away. They were expecting a few hundred volunteers and had around 2500 showed up. Today they are keeping the area clear so that they can work strictly on getting the power back on in the area.

Weather is cool and cloudy today, but no rain. It is going to get down to around 27 tonight and that may be the end of our below 30 weather for the season. Spring bulbs are up and pear trees and some magnolias are blooming. Dogwoods and redbuds should be close behind. Nice to see things coming back to life at this time of year.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:24 AM

JRR: I'm glad to hear your wife got through the surgery well and that she is home where she will have a more comfortable recovery.
That was quite a turnout of volunteers to help with the cleanup after that tornado.

It struck me as I read about the cleanup that is just started how the flowers still come up. The buds, the leaves, etc. Life goes on. Thank God.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:58 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,919,770 times
JRR, I’m also happy to hear your wife is doing well and at home

Yes, the turnout of help for tornado recovery has been jaw dropping. Just knowing such a large amount of people came to help has to be encouraging to those in need

High 50’s in my neck of the Tennessee woods today. Lows here will be mid-30’s. It was a great day to saw the 40+yr old tree off the fence (we counted the rings), from when the massive amounts of rain finally caused it to tipple over in January.

It was a live tree and had grown on the edge of the small gorge behind the barn. Broke my heart that it was live, more than the fact that it smashed 20’ of perfectly good woven wire to smitherines.

DH broke down last year and bought a new Stihl chainsaw with a 21” bar. That is one slammin’ chainsaw compared to the other two we wore out. We left the bottom thirty feet in tact for someone we know who has a bigger chainsaw and wants the wood.

We got all the cleanup down today so tomorrow we can fix that section of fence. Supper was fried potatoes plus I thawed out a container of split pea w/sausage soup I made awhile back. They go together nicely when one is hasn’t eaten all day

I’m pretty sure I’ll be asleep shortly after we get the horses in for the night - 6:30, lollol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement