Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 11:01 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,712,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL. If only. If you have an old-person affliction like arthritis, you can't do any of that stuff.

Except maybe walk fast, which I do. Every day.

My grip is worsening, due to hand arthritis and that depresses me to no end. "Here, DH, open this screw top water bottle". SIGH.

Certainly worth it to be ABLE to get off the floor, if you perchance find yourself down there. But it will take all my limbs for take-off.

Summation: Not interested in longevity, just quality. At this point.
The question arises as to whether diet, environment and other factors have a play in what we call arthritis and/or many other "old person" diseases.

Repetitive injury can be a big problem also....so many of us have used computers or other hand and finger motions for many decades....I wonder if that contributes???

I think a bit of "all of the above". My parents had us well taken care of (dental/food) when we were young -no doubt that can ward off a bunch of potential problems.

There is that two causation/correlation thing to deal with also.

I think I've done some of the worst jobs - heavy construction, rigging and then many decades of mousing and keying....plus being the beast of burden of our household. Other than back pain which is often a consequence of an active life, I don't think I have any conditions that would keep me from most activities. But, yeah, it's getting to be that walking is my go-to because it has so many good benefits and also the ability to learn while listening to podcasts, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 11:07 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,432,962 times
I agree that "teaching to the test" is not especially helpful. Much better to look at all that goes into being able to do pushups (not being overweight, strength in several muscle groups, wrist flexibility) and in getting off the floor (leg strength, flexibility, balance).

As usual, there are few shortcuts and if you try doing things the very easiest way you may find out you aren't getting the real benefit you need. Folks need to do something for their heart (cardio), muscles (strength training, especially legs and butt), flexibility and balance.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:11 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,432,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
What do they mean by 40 pushups in one session? Weasel wording. Then they go on to say even less exercise reaps rewards. So which is it? Needs lots? Little is just as good?
I'm sure they had an operational definition for the purpose of the study but most don't want to read things in scientific wording - probably to do so many in less than a certain length of time.

You're so literal! The point is the law of diminishing returns - no, a little is not AS GOOD as a lot but you will get some benefit and that's better than nothing. I dunno specifics - maybe 50% of the work will get you 80% of the benefit? How about "just get off your lazy butt and do SOMETHING"? If you want to know more, go and read the primary research and then all the references in THAT.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:15 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,177,028 times
Totally agree! Exercise (sitting around is considered just as bad as smoking now) is a good ingredient for a long life, plus also a sense of humor.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:20 AM

51,671 posts, read 25,918,928 times
Gardening.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...ou-live-to-100

Exercise, fresh air, healthy plant based diet, stress reducer, ...

Old 09-29-2019, 12:48 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,801,974 times
Sound good. I’m asking my husband to do 40 push ups and more. He said no can do. He will stay at 15. But he goes to the gym and his abs have been looking much better, but not quite Navy seal body. I suspect my husband might have longevity in his gene. One uncle lived till 96, his dad died at 91.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 09-29-2019 at 01:15 PM..

Old 09-29-2019, 01:11 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,308,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Sound good. I’m asking my husband to do 40 push up and more. He said no can do. He will stay at 15. But he goes to the gym and his abs have been looking much better, but not quite Navy seal body. I suspect my husband might have longevity in his gene. One uncle lived till 96, his dad died at 91.
i have a friend that does 400 pushups a day!!!

Old 09-29-2019, 01:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,801,974 times
Quote:
LOL. If only. If you have an old-person affliction like arthritis, you can't do any of that stuff.

My grip is worsening, due to hand arthritis and that depresses me to no end. "Here, DH, open this screw top water bottle". SIGH.

Certainly worth it to be ABLE to get off the floor, if you perchance find yourself down there. But it will take all my limbs for take-off.

Arthritis doesn’t mean you don’t live long, I know one who died at 93. I can still open paint tube that some young kids in my class can’t, they are in high school even.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:22 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,598,375 times
Quote:

I think you should be very happy that you are able to WALK a mile or more every day (and FAST)!

Many of us with arthritis would be thrilled to still be able to WALK - every day and at any time. (and walk normally)

I see your continual laments about your arthritis - but yet you walk all over Italy and perhaps Greece.

Try being able to walk only one-fourth of a block to a corner (or less) and then needing to sit down - due to arthritis.

You complain that you can't do horse-back riding or tend to horses - yet you're older and you can still WALK distances every day and you take European trips!

You seem to have a skewed standard for yourself and you don't realize how lucky you are to be able to do so many things like walking (and good long distances) and European trips which require walking and physical abilities.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:32 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,266,418 times
Smile Working out

Just before New Years 2019, I gave my husband (and myself) a gift for a year to a gym. You have to be paired with a trainer.

I have hit some bumps along the way. Our home is supposed to be under renovation and we have been living without a stove/microwave since February so not happy. If I had known it was going to be that long, I would have gone in a different direction.

However, a month ago, more bumps - possible hurricane, hurricane prep, disruption with work, lost an employee, husband on huge deadlines, exercise took a back seat; no training, no gym, no walks for the month of September.

Result: Wow, do I feel stress more! Just didn't "feel" as well but I have so much stress right now.
Trying to break it down but just closed a deal where if it had not closed, it would have cost me 15K so at least that's done. After it closed, the title company spoke to me about the back story and all the drama caused by the listing agent who apparently lied through her teeth and all that could have been avoided.

Note: We have to work until we get to our goals, part of what I read on here. Not thrilled sometimes about it but we still have a ways to go. That's OK; could be worse. I would rather have an enjoyable experience a couple of times of month than fast food every day.

So, yesterday, started back up again. My legs are sore but they are stronger. I'm also on my way to get a facial b/c I read that helps with stress. Next week, I'll get a deep tissue massage.

The exercise (I have to be forced sometimes) really does help. I figure if I pay for it, I'll do it. Seems to be working plus the trainer we have is very good with us. Very patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement