Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 01:40 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,582,487 times

Advertisements

The most likely way to live a long life is to have good genes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 01:52 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,308,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
The most likely way to live a long life is to have good genes.
oh yes. Maternal side for me - indestructible party animals. Paternal side? Smart but a little crazy too - lol.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:52 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,510,040 times
Caloric restriction is HUGE!

It is even more important than genetics, or exercise. The whole idea is to reduce the amount of INSULIN you produce. Carbs make you produce a lot of it. Sugar is the cause of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, Alzheimers, cataracts, and a big contributor to inflammation in the body, which leads to arthritis - you know, all the typical "diseases of aging".

It's never too late to correct or improve the above conditions. See Dr. Jason Fung on intermittent fasting. A 2 day fast, or periodic week long fast, or even eating 2 meals daily instead of 3, is a good way to reduce your insulin output. You will have more energy, mental clarity, lose excess weight, reduce pain and inflammation, and be amazed at how well you feel.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:54 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,308,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

It is even more important than genetics, or exercise. The whole idea is to reduce the amount of INSULIN you produce. Carbs make you produce a lot of it. Sugar is the cause of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, Alzheimers, cataracts, and a big contributor to inflammation in the body, which leads to arthritis - you know, all the typical "diseases of aging".

It's never too late to correct or improve the above conditions. See Dr. Jason Fung on intermittent fasting. A 2 day fast, or periodic week long fast, or even eating 2 meals daily instead of 3, is a good way to reduce your insulin output. You will have more energy, mental clarity, lose excess weight, reduce pain and inflammation, and be amazed at how well you feel.
I've generally been a two day a meal eater. When we discuss food and i mention this to some relatives - they think i am crazy.

Hey - Europeans have been doing this forever - and they are healthier than us.

I quit drinking sugar based stuff years ago.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:54 PM

10,610 posts, read 7,833,978 times
Well yeah, being in tip top physical shape is quite obviously the best place to start from.

And, being retired there are very few excuses available for not getting there.
Endurance, strength and flexibility are all important, with endurance the reigning king for metabolic health.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:16 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,587,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLovesSun View Post
I have no doubt exercise is good for you and how much of any kind of movement you get throughout the day is huge "sitting is the new smoking" but I would guess people that can do that many pushups are doing a lot of other healthy behaviors as well. so, hard to say how much is just the exercise.
40 pushups are something to work up to for most of us. Start with 1-2, or how many you can do. Then gradually increase as it gets easier. We all have to start somewhere. Don't let the number 40 put anyone off. Something is better than nothing, I keep telling myself, lol.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:27 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,810,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Exercise. Hands down. Most people think they can lose weight with exercise - but they are wrong. The best benefit of regular exercise is keeping your physiologic numbers intact: blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, heart rate, keeps Alzheimer’s at bay.
Exercise certainly can/will help to lose weight, it's simple math. But the other things you mention are maybe even more important....
My opinion:
1) Exercise
2) Genetics
3) Moderate diet
4) A shot of whiskey every evening

Old 09-29-2019, 02:53 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,566,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

Spot on, this is the secret sauce to a long and healthy life.

Caloric restriction are two words most people don't want to hear, and unfortunately, the benefits you get from this are largely unknown by most people. A great resource (there are many available) is a book called 'Alternate Day Diet', which is entirely readable and contains a wealth of medical information on the benefits of intermittent fasting.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:56 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,566,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
40 pushups are something to work up to for most of us. Start with 1-2, or how many you can do. Then gradually increase as it gets easier. We all have to start somewhere. Don't let the number 40 put anyone off. Something is better than nothing, I keep telling myself, lol.
You're right, you work your way up to it. Same way with doing the plank exercise, you work your way up to a regimen that allows you to hold this position longer each day, which develops all important core strength.

I just purchased a pull up bar, I'm going to mount this in the garage and start doing pull ups, a great exercise.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:05 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,015,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
i have a friend that does 400 pushups a day!!!
The fad was 1000 push-ups a day. There's a book, the website, the videos, the whole shooting match.

It's actually not that hard, since you don't have to do them all at once, and some people kinda redefine what a "push-up" is. Hint: Wall push-ups count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement