Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2020, 02:39 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
They actually are; I get gift cards for using my credit card, but I don't use it for anything I wouldn't otherwise buy and never carry debt (I pay off the balance every month).
Super.

Question: what's the annual fee for the credit card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 02:40 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Super.

Zero! I'm frugal, after all.

Old 02-21-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
They are. Other people have to pay for them. I prepaid my insurance, my cell phone, internet, water, gas, etc... all the stuff I have to pay anyway. I never paid taxes with it, nothing that will charge me extra for anything. I pay off all my credit balances every month.
But yesterday, assume I pay $21k per first class ticket, 2 tickets are $42k, 21 days in Japan with decent hotels, comes up to about $5k. All total about $47k tax free. What’s not to like. In fact, they are all cancellable, no trip insurance necessary, save some money there too. Some of the places I booked were sold out on travel website like booking.com.
Sounds like you have it wired!

What credit card do you use? annual fee?

Old 02-21-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You're so lucky. I hope both of you appreciate what you have.
I disagree. They are not lucky. Fortunate, perhaps, but not lucky. Their financial situation is the result of a lifetime of making good decisions and having some good outcomes.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:23 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Sounds like you have it wired!

What credit card do you use? annual fee?
Not wired, I didn’t play this game until I retired.
Some credit cards wave the first annual fee. Of course I pay for the credit card fee on some, but they are not outrageous. Business ink from Chase is $95, but we intend to keep it. It serves as primary insurance for rental car. I would never pay for $450 or $500 annual fee. Some of the cards the minute I get the reward points, I close the account, they reimburse me the fee, prorate of course.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:32 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,362 times
Quote:
I disagree. They are not lucky. Fortunate, perhaps, but not lucky. Their financial situation is the result of a lifetime of making good decisions and having some good outcomes.
Funny how people don’t get that. They expect people who have managed to accumulate more than themselves to be spending more than themselves.

Many of my ex work colleagues (at a well known tech company) share the same good fortune I do. You’d be surprised how many of them never moved or significantly increased their footprint. Many have, of course, and that’s fine too.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:32 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Super.

I have used various credit cards for 52 years and never EVER had one with any kind of annual fee attached to it. Nor would I ever.

All of them have had reward points programs ever since those became "a thing", too.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:32 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Some credit cards wave the first annual fee. Of course I pay for the credit card fee on some, but they are not outrageous. Business ink from Chase is $95, but we intend to keep it. It serves as primary insurance for rental car. I would never pay for $450 or $500 annual fee. Some of the cards the minute I get the reward points, I close the account, they reimburse me the fee, prorate of course.
we have the chase sapphire reserve card . it was 450 a year and is now 550 a year ..

but the perks we get outweigh the costs . we got a few thousand dollars in points just for taking it .

they also paid for tsa precheck , we get 3x the points on travel and restaurants . we can transfer the 5% categories on our other chase cards to it where for travel all points get a 50% boost through the chase expedia portal ... every year you get a 300 dollar travel credit which pays my tolls to new jersey but it can be used for anything travel coded . so right off the bat the card cost 300 less .

plus you can trade points with their travel partners for really good deals .

with the increase you get 60 dollars in food credits towards door dash and free membership to door dash which i think is 129.00

we also get priority pass free for airport lounges that participate and free food and drink . we have likely eaten the 150 bucks difference in the card cost vs the 300 dollar travel credit , in food over a year at airports alone. most of the time it covers everyone you travel with .

you get special discounts with lyft too

all in all we gladly pay the fee for what we get back

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-22-2020 at 02:44 AM..

Old 02-22-2020, 02:37 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
be careful . some cards take back what they gave you if you close before a year ...

as an example:

"This is one of the most common questions we receive, but the answer is worth repeating loud and clear: Never, under any circumstances, should you close a credit card less than one year after opening it. There are a whole host of reasons why this is a bad idea, but let’s start with some of the consequences Alex might expect from Amex if he were to do this.

Buried in the terms and conditions of the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card (and nearly every Amex card out there) is the following important line (emphasis mine):

“If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit the welcome offer to, we may freeze the welcome offer credited to, or we may take away the welcome offer from your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us.”

https://thepointsguy.com/news/close-...card-one-year/

Old 02-22-2020, 07:36 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we have the chase sapphire reserve card . it was 450 a year and is now 550 a year ..

but the perks we get outweigh the costs . we got a few thousand dollars in points just for taking it .

they also paid for tsa precheck , we get 3x the points on travel and restaurants . we can transfer the 5% categories on our other chase cards to it where for travel all points get a 50% boost through the chase expedia portal ... every year you get a 300 dollar travel credit which pays my tolls to new jersey but it can be used for anything travel coded . so right off the bat the card cost 300 less .

plus you can trade points with their travel partners for really good deals .

with the increase you get 60 dollars in food credits towards door dash and free membership to door dash which i think is 129.00

we also get priority pass free for airport lounges that participate and free food and drink . we have likely eaten the 150 bucks difference in the card cost vs the 300 dollar travel credit , in food over a year at airports alone. most of the time it covers everyone you travel with .

you get special discounts with lyft too

all in all we gladly pay the fee for what we get back
If you fly business or first class, there is no line, no need for TSA pre-check. Very short line, plus we get the nice lounge with it. I find the rest very redundant, I don’t really need them. We never use Doordash, what’s that anyway, I guess it’s a food delivery. For lyft, we add them to our Business ink account, I think we get 5-10% discount. But we rarely use Lyft. Maybe twice a year. Last time we got a 25% discount anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement