Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 06:36 AM

22,001 posts, read 13,038,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Next year, I would be looking for an update to my 2005 V6 SUV.

Exciting times!
When it's still running? Spendthrift!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 02:00 PM

10,621 posts, read 12,155,365 times
As I prepare to retire next year.....

I have always debated spending money on wants vs needs...to the point where it really could be considered silly.

And not that I ever gave it A LOT of thought as to how I'd spend money in retirement. But I thought I might not -- or be less likely to -- debate or hesitate to spend even nominal amounts of money on what amounts to little things.

For example, I like house plants. They're nice enough, and I sort of like having a few.
I haven't had any for the past year. But from time-to-time I think about replacing the ones I got rid of last year.

But honest to goodness I'm debating whether to buy them or not.
I already have pots. I already have potting soil, vertilzer etc. So what are we talking about? Four houseplants at $5-$10 a piece? .....Say $50 max.

WHY am I debating and hesitating spending $40-50 on houseplants...when I'll spend $100 on sushi in a heart beat?

My friends have already said they'd like to do at least one overseas trip a year in retirement. 2-5k budget?
Yet I'm hesitating saying....we'll see.

Why am I always debating...how much I really want something -- vs -- how much it costs?? Sometimes even items that cost as little as $5.00.

My depression baby mom and aunt did this to me!

Old 12-26-2021, 02:07 PM

335 posts, read 228,204 times
How often is the $100 sushi?

Old 12-26-2021, 02:14 PM

10,621 posts, read 12,155,365 times
Whenever I'm near enough the Japanese restaurant that I like -- or I go to Wegmans (that'd be more like only $50.)...or I just get a real bad jones for it.

Could be once every six months....could be twice a month for two months....or once a week for a month...
It just depends.

Old 12-26-2021, 02:45 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,294,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
As I prepare to retire next year.....

I have always debated spending money on wants vs needs...to the point where it really could be considered silly.

And not that I ever gave it A LOT of thought as to how I'd spend money in retirement. But I thought I might not -- or be less likely to -- debate or hesitate to spend even nominal amounts of money on what amounts to little things.

For example, I like house plants. They're nice enough, and I sort of like having a few.
I haven't had any for the past year. But from time-to-time I think about replacing the ones I got rid of last year.

But honest to goodness I'm debating whether to buy them or not.
I already have pots. I already have potting soil, vertilzer etc. So what are we talking about? Four houseplants at $5-$10 a piece? .....Say $50 max.

WHY am I debating and hesitating spending $40-50 on houseplants...when I'll spend $100 on sushi in a heart beat?

My friends have already said they'd like to do at least one overseas trip a year in retirement. 2-5k budget?
Yet I'm hesitating saying....we'll see.

Why am I always debating...how much I really want something -- vs -- how much it costs?? Sometimes even items that cost as little as $5.00.

My depression baby mom and aunt did this to me!
Because you know the plants will die? lol. I used to have all types of flowering plants outside, but they never made it due to the extreme heat. So every year had to start all over again. Then went to the New England states and saw the same darn plants just so big and beautiful out there. That is the kind of weather they need. We have to stick to cactus down here in Texas - lol. It made me mad that the local stores are conning us - lol

Old 12-26-2021, 02:46 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,294,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Whenever I'm near enough the Japanese restaurant that I like -- or I go to Wegmans (that'd be more like only $50.)...or I just get a real bad jones for it.

Could be once every six months....could be twice a month for two months....or once a week for a month...
It just depends.
hey at least you don't have to water and feed the sushi or re-pot it. Just enjoy it!

Old 12-26-2021, 02:55 PM

16,118 posts, read 10,790,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I am retired, married and 66 wife 65. We have more than substantial savings, a great pension, holding off for 70 on SS and no debt. Four kids all college grads with no student loan debt thanks to dear old Dad. All this yet I have a “ yellow light” when it comes to spending. I think I inherited my parents depression mentality or I am basically cheap. At what savings amount do you blow the dust off the wallet and spend?
If you are in great financial shape now at your age and wait to draw SS until you are 70, you two will have another $2-3000+ pouring in every month. I am a single person aged 73 and I waited until age 70 to draw SS. I have few bills and I'm in good health but wonder when I will get out my wallet. I have a simple life and have always lived within my means and observed some simple financial rules but now it is getting a bit silly. I was talking to my old (very respected) boss -- in his 90s -- and he was on my tail for not taking advantage of the growing bank account and traveling. (Granted there is a pandemic that keeps that idea in check.) I have been holding off on some home improvements that I probably ought to do.

By law, at my age, I have to dump money out of my IRA each year and I just give it away, or most of it, to charity -- and I feel like Santa Claus for a few weeks. But if I blink, it is back in my account in a few months' time. I'm not complaining -- I like doing it much more than paying taxes on it.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:23 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,985,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I am retired, married and 66 wife 65. We have more than substantial savings, a great pension, holding off for 70 on SS and no debt. Four kids all college grads with no student loan debt thanks to dear old Dad. All this yet I have a “ yellow light” when it comes to spending. I think I inherited my parents depression mentality or I am basically cheap. At what savings amount do you blow the dust off the wallet and spend?
You need to buy a BOAT.

Do you live near by a lake, river, or ocean? If not, then you'll need to move.

There you go. I took care your spending problem

Old 12-28-2021, 07:02 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I strongly disagree with the above for myself. What is good and desirable for one person might not be good and desirable for another.

I hate most upgrades in major appliances and electronics, and I don't even own an electric hand mixer, let alone a Cuisinart! I love simple basic appliances because, in my experience, they last longer and are much simpler to use. (And I don't mind ice trays at all.)

Of course, however, I do appreciate having a dishwasher and I would not want to go back to the washing machines or "ice boxes" of 100+ years ago! And I admit that having a microwave for popcorn is also something I appreciate!
I vote for the Sub Zero refrigerator/freezers, the ice dispensers, even the built-in espresso machines. Truly high-end appliances will probably outlive most of us, as long as they get regular maintenance.

I made the mistake of buying a low-end washer/dryer pair. It was not cheap but it was cheaply made. The handle came off the dryer door in the first week.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:40 AM

7,388 posts, read 4,169,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I wouldn't spend like a drunken sailor until I got closer to kicking the bucket. But I would spend for certain things that matter to you both a lot. Money should be enjoyed.
My husband has been laughing at me lately. This Christmas, I brought things that my frugal self would have winced at before. I purchased four - 12 inch cookie that looks like St. Nick as a bishop. Each cookie was $12.95 and with shipping, it was $75. I had Zabar's bagels and cream cheese shipped overnight as there are no good bagels south of the Mason Dixon line.

None of this is going to break the bank - but it's out of character for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement