Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2020, 10:01 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,455,225 times

Advertisements

We bought our house a little over a year ago.... and had the means to paint it. It was beyond our wheelhouse to do so.... so my spouse got bids.

We’ve done a lot to improve the look of the house - it was “baby poo brown” with a red door.

Now it’s a hunter green with red trim. Money well spent.

Waaaaay better. Even the neighbors say so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 10:06 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,775,561 times
I’m painting the trims before I plant my roses. I also spent lots of money on roses. So I thought it’s wise to do that. Once the roses are established, I don’t want to ruin them.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:23 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,423,993 times
My late father would say, “ never steal a job from a tradesman”. He was a banker and would say if they don’t go into the banking business I won’t go into the painting business.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:26 AM

21,898 posts, read 12,998,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
My late father would say, “ never steal a job from a tradesman”. He was a banker and would say if they don’t go into the banking business I won’t go into the painting business.
My motto has always been "save it here to spend it there." I don't mind cutting corners on most things -- in fact, I enjoy the game of seeing how little I can spend to live in general -- but when I need or really want something, and that would include travel and painting or preferably siding my house, the money is (consequently) there.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
It’s not stealing. We prefer to stay active by doing things. My husband and I do a lot of things ourselves, but climbing up tall ladder is something we won’t do anymore. Btw, my husband is out there helping the guy move some stuff so he can pressure wash the paint. He is not lazying around even after hiring people.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:46 PM

43,181 posts, read 18,318,340 times
Quote:
I like doing DIY jobs. Did my own painting and even did the Pergo in my condo. I just ripped down 20 year old wallpaper in the 2 bathrooms and will patch, prime, paint those 2 rooms as well.

The stuff I can't or won't do I hire out. But as long as I still enjoy doing this stuff I will continue doing it myself.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:00 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,053,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
it was “baby poo brown” with a red door.

Now it’s a hunter green with red trim.
I learned my lesson after putting Wedgwood-blue siding + white trim on my previous house. Pale blue shows dirt like you would not believe. And naturally the front of the house faced north, AND there were two ginormous linden trees in the front yard .... can you say "moss/algae"? Yecccch!

I am now a firm believer in dark colored siding. The closer to the color of dirt, the better! And no more white shutters, ever.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:58 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,966,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Today the painters will come to paint my house exterior. That’s some dough to spend. I almost thought we had to do it ourselves, so glad we have opportunity to spend.
I had my house painted last summer. I felt like it was the most boring expenditure. Usually when I spend thousands of dollars on something, I feel some satisfaction or happiness in whatever it was I got for my money. Getting the house painted was meh!

Old 02-24-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I had my house painted last summer. I felt like it was the most boring expenditure. Usually when I spend thousands of dollars on something, I feel some satisfaction or happiness in whatever it was I got for my money. Getting the house painted was meh!
I hope my roses will be brilliant, not meh. I get lots of satisfaction from looking at my roses. Surprisingly, my husband is the same.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:54 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,966,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I hope my roses will be brilliant, not meh. I get lots of satisfaction from looking at my roses. Surprisingly, my husband is the same.
Good luck with the roses. I'm sure they will be beautiful. I did have to go around the house and cut back all the plants and bushes so the painters could get in there. Looking forward to seeing them all grow back this spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement