Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2020, 12:29 PM

8,345 posts, read 4,375,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
My wife is, as I like to call her, my "indoor cat". There are exceptions - when we're traveling, she loves to walk everywhere if possible otherwise, trains, subways and buses are perfect for our style esp in large cities or Europe.

After my second trip to the Amazon, upon my return home, I told her, "You know, I could retire to the Amazon."

Keep in mind that MrsK7 is from Brazil but, I can almost guarantee you that more Brazilians from Rio or Sao Paulo have been to Disney than have traveled to the Amazon.

Her response? "You can...(long pause for effect)..... after the divorce."

Aaah, just keep working on it, she'll come around yet :-).
Happy trails! e.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 12:52 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Spending on experiences makes a lot more sense to me than spending on things.
Sometimes spending on a object opens up whole new experiences you could not have had otherwise. Exhibit A: An RV.

Quote:
Things require maintenance, repairs, etc. They become more bother than they are worth at some point.
That sounds like an "old people" point of view. "Go away, kid, yer botherin' me!"

I don't really see any difference between an experience and an object. Each come with costs. An object may have extended costs but you also get to experience it more than once.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
I don’t know, but I get a kick out of getting bargain. I just booked two first class tickets to Japan for $500. My stay will be all on free reward points. I just have to spend money to eat.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:14 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Sometimes spending on a object opens up whole new experiences you could not have had otherwise. Exhibit A: An RV.

That sounds like an "old people" point of view. "Go away, kid, yer botherin' me!"

I don't really see any difference between an experience and an object. Each come with costs. An object may have extended costs but you also get to experience it more than once.
Did you run into my wife around town? She said the same thing about my current car - the experience of driving what you drive is the best part of owning it!" Or, in other words, depreciation be damned. I think she's a keeper. lol

Old 02-20-2020, 02:04 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,070 times
I do not stay in luxury hotels. Too much service and amenities that I do not use or care about because I am out sightseeing. No continental breakfast and I dislike sit down breakfasts where you have to dress up and be waited on. Prefer to just grab coffee and a few items to eat later. No way to just go to my car and get something as valet parking is often the requirement. And I do not like being fussed over by staff unless I actually need something.

But I love hotel rooms with a great view or oceanfront, staying at a cabin at National Parks or mountain resort areas, a good location in a large city like San Francisco, an historical hotel, etc. This type of lodging is usually expensive and I am willing to pay for it for the experience and convenience. And for other travel, I have learned that it is often better to pay more for a medium priced chain than a lower priced chain. My first year of retirement, I stayed at a Quality Inn because I did not want to spend extra for a Hilton or Marriott chain further away from the interstate. The constant drone of traffic on I-40, car alarms and slamming car and room doors throughout the night, HVAC that did not work well, etc. Not a good experience. But sometimes you can find a mom and pop owned little gem of a hotel for a great price.

Also got bumped up to first class once and again did not care for all the attention from the flight attendant. Would prefer a business class with comfortable seats and a little better service than coach.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 02-20-2020 at 02:43 PM..

Old 02-21-2020, 07:45 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I am retired, married and 66 wife 65. We have more than substantial savings, a great pension, holding off for 70 on SS and no debt. Four kids all college grads with no student loan debt thanks to dear old Dad. All this yet I have a “ yellow light” when it comes to spending. I think I inherited my parents depression mentality or I am basically cheap. At what savings amount do you blow the dust off the wallet and spend?
I fear I'll have the same problem, being congenitally cheap! At some point, you have to realize you can't take it with you. The ideal is really to die broke unless you particularly want to leave money to someone, like an heir, or something, such as a charity. Following!

Old 02-21-2020, 08:27 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,272 times
I don’t see a problem here. We don’t have kids and our money will most likely outlive us..... unless something happens to the cost of healthcare and we have to use it up for that.....

We are thrifty.... and also have the caution light out on spending.

But anything can happen.

We have done our family trust and listed beneficiaries. I’m not going to worry about it because it’s all taken care of - one way or another.

You cannot take it with you.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:31 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Yes, but at what point does one begin blowing it? You'd almost have to know, among other things, how long you'll live.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:32 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I am retired, married and 66 wife 65. We have more than substantial savings, a great pension, holding off for 70 on SS and no debt. Four kids all college grads with no student loan debt thanks to dear old Dad. All this yet I have a “ yellow light” when it comes to spending. I think I inherited my parents depression mentality or I am basically cheap. At what savings amount do you blow the dust off the wallet and spend?
I'm on the same page as you. You spend your entire life watching the pennies and saving and then *boom*, you're retired and now it's time to use all that money you saved up yet the mindset resists.

It takes a while to get over it. I'm retired 8 years now and still working on it but getting better at it.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:47 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yes, but at what point does one begin blowing it? You'd almost have to know, among other things, how long you'll live.
I don't think that most of us will ever "blow it up" unless there's an unexpected windfall. Maybe a better description is "occasional splurge" where we can take a special trip or buy a necessary but slightly more luxurious vehicle.

Blow it up? I think the folks who have provided kind input aren't wired like that. For good reason too - most of us got to this point by being conservative for the past 40-50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement