Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 11:35 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
"The company (Walmart) said it was suspending its online pickup service due to “unprecedented demand as well as product shortages in some areas.” Walmart has given its store managers the discretion to limit purchases of items that are in high demand."

Do you have any neighbors or friends that would be willing to pick up a few things for you when they go to the store?
Oh, that's why my last pickup order took so long. Normally I would pull into the space at WalMart and my groceries would arrive at the car within 5 minutes. Last week I waited almost an hour for the delivery to come out. Anyway, all of my neighbors are 20 years older than I am - I should be picking things up for them, but they have relatives; I don't. Oh well, I also shopped last week at Wegmans, so when my greens run out I'll take my chances again there. They always have lots of hand sanitizer at the store entrance and I spread it all over the shopping cart handle. I'm pretty well stocked up on long-lived staples through on-line shopping and can probably get more that way as well. Anything I need at Wegmans I can get in 10 minutes or so. That store just seems cleaner and is normally less crowded than WalMart. so I don't mind going in it as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 11:40 AM

705 posts, read 562,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I was very surprised today that all of the local Walmart stores in my city are no longer offering pickup of groceries. I had been doing a once weekly grocery shopping online with outdoor pickup because I had a severe 3 week respiratory illness and figured that was the best way not to infect other people. Now that I'm feeling better I don't want to get infected by them by going into the store because my immune system is still fragile, but I don't have any choice as I can't get fresh foods online and they're not delivering them either. At least the cats will be well-fed as I can stock up on their food from Chewy, lol.

I put the links to two companies that will deliver from drug stores and grocery stores.

https://www.instacart.com/
You can sign up here and they'll pull and deliver groceries to you.

Here is another that delivers groceries
https://www.shipt.com/

Old 03-16-2020, 12:02 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Oh, that's why my last pickup order took so long. Normally I would pull into the space at WalMart and my groceries would arrive at the car within 5 minutes. Last week I waited almost an hour for the delivery to come out. Anyway, all of my neighbors are 20 years older than I am - I should be picking things up for them, but they have relatives; I don't. Oh well, I also shopped last week at Wegmans, so when my greens run out I'll take my chances again there. They always have lots of hand sanitizer at the store entrance and I spread it all over the shopping cart handle. I'm pretty well stocked up on long-lived staples through on-line shopping and can probably get more that way as well. Anything I need at Wegmans I can get in 10 minutes or so. That store just seems cleaner and is normally less crowded than WalMart. so I don't mind going in it as much.
I have a Bi-Lo market near home. It's smaller and a bit pricier than Walmart but it's also less crowded.
When I went out yesterday that is where I went. Not too crowded and there was food...no TP but there was plenty of food.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:59 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I put the links to two companies that will deliver from drug stores and grocery stores.

https://www.instacart.com/
You can sign up here and they'll pull and deliver groceries to you.

Here is another that delivers groceries
https://www.shipt.com/
Thanks. I know Instacart works with Wegmans here, as well as CVS and other local stores. I'll have to check into shipt.com.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:29 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Publix has been bugging me to use their grocery delivery service (Instacart) so I decided to give it a trial run as they offered free delivery plus $15 off. It actually went pretty well.

I put the order in last night and the groceries came around 4 PM today. Only things they were flat out of was potatoes and a sweet onion. There were a few substitutions which were not a problem. A bit surprised to get some things like ground chuck, milk, flour, sugar and the bakery muffins and some other items that were on sale.

All in all, I would use them again if we decided to hunker down and not go to the grocery store ourselves. But for now, we will do our usual Thursday routine and see if maybe some of the frenzy has died down a bit by then.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I avoid crowds normally. I hate crowds. I avoid Christmas shopping, heavy traffic, rush hour, and black friday sales. People are just to crazy, like a herd of buffalo in a stampede. I dont cruise or fly either.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:48 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Thanks to hoarders, we now have the odd situation of needing to stock up as normal yet finding NO tp or pt or wipes or rice or a whole bunch of other things. So we drive around to several stores trying to get the items (all were wiped out) and see the same people we just saw a few minutes ago at the other place, also looking for things that were out of stock!

So much for minimizing going out. When it gets to having to line up first thing in the morning every morning to search for essentials, that advice goes out the window. We are not yet at that point only because we don’t wait till our existing supplies run empty, but if repeated efforts to buy JUST ONE PACKAGE fail, that’s what will happen. A cashier told us she was unable to buy even one roll of tp when she was nearly out of it. (They are not allowed to grab the stuff for themselves before the teeming, shoving masses bash inside to hoard all the new supplies.) Another cashier warned us that the waiting throngs are RUDE and it is just like Black Friday when everybody is trying to snap up the Razor Scooter or Cabbage Patch Doll or Pet Rock or whatever has caused people to become monsters. Another worker called the greed of some people “idiocy.”

I told DH that the grocery workers are getting a shocking portrait of human nature when people feel the slightest hint of threat to a lifetime of being able to get as much of anything they want at any time (budget allowing).

The increased gun purchasing really makes me wonder. People must expect a COVID-19 zombie apocalypse. The question is are the weapons to rob someone of coveted toilet paper or to DEFEND against someone trying to take it from you? Hmmm. I expect ammo supplies have also been hoarded. Time to get some other weapons ready...joking...I hope.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:03 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
There were TP at Costco today, but you must wait in long line, very long line. We are not desperate yet so we skipped it.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
We are 73 and 80 both with "underlying conditions". We have two adopted 18 year old daughters and planned to give them our grocery list and credit card and wait in the car for them. They don't have licenses yet.

Since we live in a 64 homes over 55 neighborhood, I thought I would put it on our website that if folks don't have someone to shop for them our girls can pick up a few items while shopping for us.

How would this best be handled?

the girls keep household purchases separate and get a separate receipt for each household?

or just buy it all and figure it out when we get home? or do you have another idea. I'm not sure how many would need this service but most of us here are in our late 60s or 70s. Thank you.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:49 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We are 73 and 80 both with "underlying conditions". We have two adopted 18 year old daughters and planned to give them our grocery list and credit card and wait in the car for them. They don't have licenses yet.

Since we live in a 64 homes over 55 neighborhood, I thought I would put it on our website that if folks don't have someone to shop for them our girls can pick up a few items while shopping for us.

How would this best be handled?

the girls keep household purchases separate and get a separate receipt for each household?

or just buy it all and figure it out when we get home? or do you have another idea. I'm not sure how many would need this service but most of us here are in our late 60s or 70s. Thank you.
Wow, that's really sweet of you! I don't know what would be the easiest way of pulling that off logistically. The other shoppers may not appreciate the girls doing multiple transactions and holding up the lines. On the other hand, it'll be a PITA for you to have to figure out taxable items and get the correct cash from folks. And ew, cash! Icky and germy! Plus who even carries cash nowadays?

I stayed in last weekend because I have either a cold or allergies (no fever or Corona symptoms), and I'm wondering if any of my usual line dance spots will even be open this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement