Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 08:15 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times

Advertisements

^The idea about State Game Lands gave me a good idea as well. My city has a major river running through it and a nice dock area where I could go and walk and just relax looking at the water. There's also a long walking trail along the water at the other end of the city, although I would want to keep a good distance from the other walkers (it's very popular.) Unfortunately the riverside park is closed right now because of adjacent road construction. All of our upcoming Master Gardener events have been cancelled, and I am wondering if VA Garden week will be as well. That would really be a shame, as I was going to be a docent at a historic home in my former county as it's the 300th anniversary for the county, but I can see the reasoning. I've already been inside at home for a month due to illness, so as the weather gets better I need to at least get out in my garden!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 08:27 AM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
I got out to the beach this morning. What a difference...last week SC had 9, today we have 47 and people are not venturing out.
Eerie to pass by restaurants with empty parking lots that are normally full with breakfast folks.

I like to take a walk everyday but I want to avoid the sidewalks because there's just not enough distance between folks you need to pass. So I've opted for the beach since there is so much room and the local parking lot is just 10 spaces.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:13 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I got out to the beach this morning. What a difference...last week SC had 9, today we have 47 and people are not venturing out.
Eerie to pass by restaurants with empty parking lots that are normally full with breakfast folks.

I like to take a walk everyday but I want to avoid the sidewalks because there's just not enough distance between folks you need to pass. So I've opted for the beach since there is so much room and the local parking lot is just 10 spaces.

The governor hasn’t closed FL beaches, but our county is closing all of ours effective 6 a.m. Saturday to deter spring breakers from coming from other closed beaches. I resisted the urge to go watch a beach sunset tonight, I figure it will be crowded with other people having the same thought.

Several of our snowbird neighbors have left or are leaving soon, returning to families and their own doctors. They have lower rates in their home states of WI and MN, which beats better weather. We all said see you next year and hope it’s true.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:12 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
We've been staying in since Saturday and planning out strategies to minimize exposure when we go for groceries.
Now we get a call form a concerned friend of a relative that we not seen for a few years. There was a mild falling out issue and we just never got together. Seems the persons living situation and health has degenerated and depression has set in. So we're gonna have to go 30 miles and do a kind of welfare check. We used to meet for dinner once a week and I think that would be good to do now, but restaurants are closed, and I'm 76 and dead set against exposing myself to this Covid virus. I think we're gonna take some food over there, maybe a carry out meal. The friend is gonna call Meals on Wheels and report back to us. It sounds like he's needs a cleaning lady to come in once a week. He's a stubborn person who doesn't manage his life well. So we'll go there and assess the situation and see if we can get him some help without doing everything ourselves. There's no other family.
We were gonna stay in as much as possible till this Covid thing is under control.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:25 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,048,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
We've been staying in since Saturday and planning out strategies to minimize exposure when we go for groceries.
Now we get a call form a concerned friend of a relative that we not seen for a few years. There was a mild falling out issue and we just never got together. Seems the persons living situation and health has degenerated and depression has set in. So we're gonna have to go 30 miles and do a kind of welfare check. We used to meet for dinner once a week and I think that would be good to do now, but restaurants are closed, and I'm 76 and dead set against exposing myself to this Covid virus. I think we're gonna take some food over there, maybe a carry out meal. The friend is gonna call Meals on Wheels and report back to us. It sounds like he's needs a cleaning lady to come in once a week. He's a stubborn person who doesn't manage his life well. So we'll go there and assess the situation and see if we can get him some help without doing everything ourselves. There's no other family.
We were gonna stay in as much as possible till this Covid thing is under control.
Rather than risk getting sucked in to this situation I would suggest calling the Office of Aging in that county to let them arrange a welfare check and let social services take it from there.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:18 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Help out as much you can without going there yourself, don't endanger yourself & your family over this since there are alternatives to a personal visit to "assess the situation", call & let the county welfare offices & local charities know what's going on with him. Stay healthy for your family.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:50 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Honestly, even though it may sound cold/harsh, I would not go. As others have mentioned, I am sure there are at least some private (church?) and public entities that can be alerted.

This is someone that you admittedly have not really been in touch with for years.

Sorry but in the current situation your first responsibility should be to yourself and your wife. Period. Stay home and stay safe. IMHO, for whatever that's worth.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:51 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Today my quarterly doctor's appointment was conducted over the phone. He had my blood-work from a week ago, I had my temperature, blood pressure, and weight also the pollen count is very high here making breathing more difficult. He considers me very high risk and does not want me outside.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:16 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Help out as much you can without going there yourself, don't endanger yourself & your family over this since there are alternatives to a personal visit to "assess the situation", call & let the county welfare offices & local charities know what's going on with him. Stay healthy for your family.
Well, we went. Took food. He paid us for it. He's aged a lot in 3 or 4 years. He's using a walker and is unable to climb into his truck. Thinks he's be ok with a smaller truck. There are cars or crossovers that would be easier but he wants a truck. We gave him the info to sign up for Meals on Wheels. There is no mental deficiency, or lack of funds, keeping him from getting on the phone and arranging for meal & grocery delivery, or anything else he needs. It's up to him. We had a nice visit.

Lots of bare shelves at the grocery store. No one coughed on us. Some hand sanitizers by the entry for customers to use were empty. Found others. People are out everywhere. This is not a hot spot for the virus yet.
First Friday night we didn't eat out in years.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:49 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Since I decided to move, I have been vigorously saving; no going out, shopping for essentials only, etc. But hearing about restaurants closing or providing drive up only, my heart aches for these people, especially the smaller ones.

I hope when this is over we all go out to celebrate in whatever restaurants made it through the crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement