Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2020, 11:25 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yeah, quarantine is also my concern- no matter where "they" put you, there's no sightseeing and they'll send you a bill afterwards. I do have a Nook and a laptop with Netflix so I might not go completely crazy.

Yesterday a guy at church told me about a conversation his daughter, a travel agent, had with a hotel in South America. She wanted to cancel the upcoming trip for her group. Nope, they said. Your rate does not allow cancellation. Use it or lose it. Then she explained that some of the group members were coming from China, some form Korea, some from Thailand... They found it in their hearts to offer a postponement.

I talked to my 89-year old Dad last night. He shares my interest in travel but did less- Europe and Japan on business and the Caribbean many times with my mother. Dad reads plenty so he knows what's going on in the world and I realized this AM that not once did he hint that I was nuts for planning to take off tomorrow. I think he and I share the same probability-based risk assessment approach (he was an engineer and I'm a retired actuary). And he's not on FaceBook. That helps.
I guess keeping yourself busy with Netflix and the internet might stave off some boredom, but I know I'd stew over what I left at home, what wasn't getting done, pets, and so on under an enforced quarantine, especially if it lasted very long. Unfortunately I seem to hang onto the notion that I'm in complete control of things, though I should know better at my advanced age, after a lifetime of rude awakenings. So I stew when unforeseen things happen till I can get a grip.

I think my biggest problem might be running out of my prescription meds under a prolonged quarantine. I maintain decent control of my long-time hypertension, and cardiac arrhythmias with a plethora of meds (with diet and exercise to help the hypertension), but sad experience has taught me the consequences of going without these meds and I don't want to go there again. People who have diabetes, thyroid issues, or other chronic issues managed by medications are also in this boat. While it's always a good idea to bring along more medication than you think you'll need when you travel, who anticipates being gone for 2-3 weeks or longer than you had planned?

I hadn't heard of any cases of coronavirus in destinations in South America, but guess especially with global travel it's probably only a matter of time. Doesn't surprise me hearing about hotels, airlines, or other travel industry entities refusing to allow cancellations with refunds to people, but I'd wonder if they'd be "persuaded" (ie, intimidated) to issue those refunds when governments are strongly advising against travel for specific groups.

Sounds like your dad is a smart man. I don't do Facebook either. That's another of my blood pressure controls, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 11:29 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

I think my biggest problem might be running out of my prescription meds under a prolonged quarantine. I maintain decent control of my long-time hypertension, and cardiac arrhythmias with a plethora of meds (with diet and exercise to help the hypertension), but sad experience has taught me the consequences of going without these meds and I don't want to go there again. People who have diabetes, thyroid issues, or other chronic issues managed by medications are also in this boat. While it's always a good idea to bring along more medication than you think you'll need when you travel, who anticipates being gone for 2-3 weeks or longer than you had planned?

Doesn't your drug plan have a mail order option? I get my meds 90 days at a time. Only have to go as far as the mail box.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:44 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Even for those who distrust the CDC, it's something to think about.

The article is from CNN, with links to the CDC web page.

Now people distrust the CDC?

Old 03-09-2020, 03:08 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I cancelled all my hotels now, that’s the cancellable part. Not cancelling the Airbnb rentals yet, not cancelling all flights yet. But in my mind, it’s not fund to be in London and don’t do the London things. Sad, because we’ve be looking forward to this for a long time. My kids were concerned, they’ve heard people over 60 have higher risk because of this virus.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
The website below is one of the best sources for information on the outbreak of coronavirus including Europe information, although I'm sure some people will disdain it. It gives much more information than many U.S. sources. And it is quite accurate in its reporting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

Italy's death toll leaps by 97 in one day to 463 as alarming photos emerge of patients hooked up to life support machines inside quarantine-zone hospital while medics in hazmat suits battle to save them

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...uarantine.html
Attached Thumbnails
CDC Recommends That Older Adults Stay At Home As Much As Possible-25734466-0-image-m-5_1583760172589.jpg  

Last edited by matisse12; 03-09-2020 at 04:21 PM..

Old 03-09-2020, 04:21 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Seems like common sense to me.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:17 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Doesn't your drug plan have a mail order option? I get my meds 90 days at a time. Only have to go as far as the mail box.

We do, and I get my scripts for 90 days at a time too. But the question was taking enough medication with me to tide me over in the event the trip was prolonged by quarantine. I don't generally take the entire bottle of pills, but enough for the length of time I expect to be gone, and maybe a day or two extra just in case.

I can't imagine my mail order pharmacy delivering my drugs to my quarantine spot on one of the Princess cruiselines off the coast of San Francisco, Port Everglades or wherever, or a hotel in Italy or Hong Kong, in the event its time for a refill and/or I happen to run out.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:49 PM

989 posts, read 456,203 times
Quote:
We do, and I get my scripts for 90 days at a time too. But the question was taking enough medication with me to tide me over in the event the trip was prolonged by quarantine. I don't generally take the entire bottle of pills, but enough for the length of time I expect to be gone, and maybe a day or two extra just in case.

I can't imagine my mail order pharmacy delivering my drugs to my quarantine spot on one of the Princess cruiselines off the coast of San Francisco, Port Everglades or wherever, or a hotel in Italy or Hong Kong, in the event its time for a refill and/or I happen to run out.
I'm sure most of get the 90-day thing. I'm a little over halfway through my 90-day script of thyroid meds. My insurance doesn't let me refill until I'm about down to 14 tablets remaining. So the 90-day thing is GREAT if you happen to have a trip that coincides with a fresh refill. Not so great if you have to leave without a full bottle. If I got into that situation, I'd probably ask my doctor to give me some samples or a script for a small amount just to bump me up in case I got into trouble.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:50 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:

That is an excellent point. I was telling my husband to look at the bright side of life, we save money buy not going, why? We would have spend 3-4 times more if we were going.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:53 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:

Ok. I get what you are saying.

Maybe we do have to start carrying the pill bottles on trips now, like the lady in the PillPak commercial who carries them all in her purse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement