Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2020, 07:15 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,343,165 times

Advertisements

I am not intending to change what I do any time soon except we may have to postpone a trip to Africa, booked for later in the year.

I am very healthy, was the one in the family who avoided the flu last winter, even when minding the grandkids when they were off school. If I do get sick I will stay home.

But I am far more worried about the Stockmarket crash and the potential for recession. It is frightening this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 07:40 PM

8,531 posts, read 3,391,725 times
In what appears to be new advice, the CDC advised vulnerable adults and those over 60 to begin stocking up on goods.

"Many Americans will be exposed to COVID-19 over the next year or so with many people in the U.S. getting sick, a top CDC official said Monday, recommending that people over 60 and anyone with chronic medical conditions buckle down for a lengthy stay home. "
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/09/many...-cdc-says.html

Specifically:
"Have enough household items and groceries on hand so that you will be prepared to stay at home for a period of time."
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...pplies-on-hand

Old 03-09-2020, 08:18 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,857,572 times
That’s the worst advice. Today I was in a supermarket, one person loaded up on water, he was told maximum a customer can only take 2. So glad they are instilling this rationing now. It’s madness.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:27 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,343,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
That’s the worst advice. Today I was in a supermarket, one person loaded up on water, he was told maximum a customer can only take 2. So glad they are instilling this rationing now. It’s madness.
I doubt whether it could be as crazy as here in Australia!

The main product that has been hoarded is toilet paper. People will be in court this week, having been charged over a brawl in a supermarket in western Sydney. Elsewhere someone was tasered by police to stop another brawl. Toilet paper and sanitizer has been stolen from office buildings in the city.

The irony is that it seems people believed that all our supplies are imported from China and that would cause a shortage. Most is made here and naturally the factories are operating day and night. At least the main supermarkets have put a limit on toilet paper and are holding the sanitizer supplies at the desks where they keep the cigarettes.

One of our conservative commentators (which whom I often disagree) made me laugh when he said our education system has produced a nation of dolts. Another word for idiots.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:41 AM

12,021 posts, read 11,666,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Even for those who distrust the CDC, it's something to think about.

The article is from CNN, with links to the CDC web page.

"The CDC guidance comes as two top infectious disease experts with ties to the federal government have advised people over 60 and those with underlying health problems to strongly consider avoiding activities that involve large crowds, such as traveling by airplane, going to movie theaters or concerts, attending family events, shopping at crowded malls, and going to religious services."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...us/ar-BB10QLvV
If you have history of respiratory problems, you have to be extra careful since the virus can directly cause pneumonia unlike flu or colds which weaken the system for pneumococcus bacteria. SARS had the same capability. That's why some deaths have come rapidly.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:13 AM

16,869 posts, read 8,827,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
You would be surprised at how many are shocked at hearing this advise. Common sense is not as common as most would think.
Indeed

Apparently some people need warning signs not to smoke while pumping gas.
Many a person naively goes about their daily lives without a clue about many common sense things.

Our society seems to be devolving with many people not knowing how to even change a flat tire.
Yet such things are touted as ok in commercials like this one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrdOveX4TEk

The full commercial shows a fawning mother snuggling her "boy" over the fact he can't do so, thus everyone needs roadside assistance.

`

Old 03-10-2020, 11:59 AM

12,021 posts, read 11,666,985 times
It seems that most of the people who died may have had pulmonary hypertension, which already carries a very short life expectancy.

50% had high blood pressure

Old 03-10-2020, 12:08 PM

10,407 posts, read 8,091,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It seems that most of the people who died may have had pulmonary hypertension, which already carries a very short life expectancy.

50% had high blood pressure
Pulmonary hypertension (which relatively few people have, and which shortens life expectancy) is NOT the same thing as ordinary hypertension (which a lot of people have, and which can be effectively controlled with drugs and when well-controlled does not shorten lifespan). Plain old hypertension (controlled by drugs or not) is a risk factor with this virus.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:22 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,805,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If you have history of respiratory problems, you have to be extra careful since the virus can directly cause pneumonia unlike flu or colds which weaken the system for pneumococcus bacteria. SARS had the same capability. That's why some deaths have come rapidly.
Pneumonia is any lung inflammation with fluid in the air sacs. Flu and cold viruses can result in pneumonia without bacteria. Covid is the same, it's just worse.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:41 PM

888 posts, read 559,803 times
I just had to cancel a trip to Las Vegas that has been planned for ages with some good friends. I am mid 50's, but suffer severe asthma and have already had pneumonia a few times where it was touch and go. So even though it is painful, we have cancelled. This is the first year in about 10 years we haven't made this annual trip, and it is making me depressed. Especially because this could go on indefinitely, and I don't do well being stuck in my city with no trips here and there. My fear was actually getting stuck in the USA, more than even catching the virus (I live in Canada) I can't totally isolate myself as I work full time and still have a teenager in the house, but I am being extra careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement