Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 02:22 PM

962 posts, read 612,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
LOL, all civilized countries have socialized medicine except the U.S.

FYI, Italy was ranked as having the second best health care system in the world by the the World Health Organization and has the 6th highest life expectancy in the world.
Yeah man, 60 year old, left to die. That's awesome healthcare. Where do I sign up?

Socialized medicine is notorious for this exact thing. Hilarious.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:25 PM

900 posts, read 684,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Theres a whole bunch of you people across this great nation that are are nowhere near understanding what is going on.

When the death panel cones and says NO you cannot live, you are not worth saving, I'll bet you'll change your tune. Even if you are ready to die.

We may well weather it well, but it still has lethal potential.

It's very serious, and about to get very very very serious.

I have been on a ventilator, in a coma, and it was a nightmarish experience. I experienced fear, pain, awareness, and a complete lack of ability to communicate. I have no wish to repeat that.

I just pray they'll give out the morphine for those of us who are being opted out of the ventilator. I have gone through respiratory failure and that is terrifying.

Believe me, some of us are very serious about what we think, and unlikely to change our minds about artificial life support.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:29 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Yeah man, 60 year old, left to die. That's awesome healthcare. Where do I sign up?

Does Snohomish have socialized medicine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post

"My sister in law is a nurse in Snohomish Co WA and they are already having ventilator shortages. Anyone over the age of 60 is put in a bed and in a room for nature to take its course. No ventilator for anyone over 60 as of last week."

Old 03-23-2020, 02:34 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:

You think for-profit medicine keeps 3-4 times the number of ICU beds and vents normally needed in order to cover the remote possibility of a serious respiratory virus pandemic? Think again! That costs way too much money.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:40 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I wonder if people who die from the virus's resp degeneration are dying on vents. I have a friend who had collapsed lungs more than once and said that it was a terrible experience before he was put on, then, the BIPAP concentrator. I don't know that dying from being unable to breathe is anything one would choose. Are there mitigating treatment if one is dying and not being put on a vent? In hospice, I used to administer morphine for resp distress with good effect.

Of course people who die from the virus are dying on vents. A vent is a mechanical device that can get O2 in lungs and CO2 out, but it cannot make the destroyed cells in lungs exchange O2 and CO2 - you need a lung tissue for that.

Btw, an intubated person does not need a ventilator. Not so long ago, in some third world countries, there would be entire families around an intubated family member, taking their turn squeezing a bag to get O2 into the patient. A colleague who worked in medical missions told me he saw families in Nepal taking an intubated patient, the bag-ventilation tubing, and tanks of O2 HOME! It still does not help if lungs are destroyed, and morphine also does not re-grow damaged lungs (it is used in people with pulmonary edema due to heart failure, but that is a totally different kind of respiratory distress where lungs are not damaged, just collect fluid because the heart cannot pump well. Morphine affects favorably the capacity of circulation and blood pressure (ie, resistance against which a weak heart has to pump) in that situation, with the added benefit of sedation. But again, that is a totally different situation from the primary destruction of lungs).

You can survive with destroyed lungs only with extra-corporeal circulation or lung transplant, neither of which is remotely possible on a mass scale of this epidemic.

I am 60, healthy (so far :-), am a medical professional, and carry a laminated signed "do not resuscitate/do not intubate" card anyway, regardless of any particular virus... which tells you what my (VERY informed :-) opinion is of heroic medical measures :-).

Old 03-23-2020, 02:57 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
LOL, all civilized countries have socialized medicine except the U.S.

FYI, Italy was ranked as having the second best health care system in the world by the the World Health Organization and has the 6th highest life expectancy in the world.
And doctors and nurses in Italy today are wearing scarves and garbage bags to treat covid-19 patients.

It has nothing to do with what version of healthcare a country has.

It's the sheer magnitude of everyone getting sick at the same time and overwhelming the system.
We haven't had a pandemic like this in over 100 years.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:57 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,997 times
Quote:

It has nothing to do with socialized medicine. It has to do with hospitals being overwhelmed by patients something that has happened before in the USA and if our numbers keep increasing a similar situation will have to be made.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:59 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Wealthy people in my area, some of them older people, are buying ventilators and hiring medical personnel to stand by in case they need to use the machines.

This option is well out of my price range.
That certainly does not surprise me.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:02 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Wealthy people in my area, some of them older people, are buying ventilators and hiring medical personnel to stand by in case they need to use the machines.

This option is well out of my price range.
Maybe they are trying to. There are none to be had. Companies have backorders for governments, hospitals.
One company was interviewed and said they had gotten a lot of "individual" requests and they are not honoring any of them.

Kudos to that company.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...ilators-2020-3

Old 03-23-2020, 03:07 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Of course people who die from the virus are dying on vents. A vent is a mechanical device that can get O2 in lungs and CO2 out, but it cannot make the destroyed cells in lungs exchange O2 and CO2 - you need a lung tissue for that.

I am 60, healthy (so far :-), am a medical professional, and carry a laminated signed "do not resuscitate/do not intubate" card anyway, regardless of any particular virus... which tells you what my (VERY informed :-) opinion is of heroic medical measures :-).
I worked in health care in hospice and psychiatric, never around vents or such.

I just want to know if dying could include a minimum of suffering. I think some people think if they get seriously ill, they'll just stay home and fade away, and I think there might be a lot more misery to it than that and wouldn't want to go that way. That said, I'm 67 and obviously at more risk than a younger person, so am thinking about all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement