Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 11:33 AM

50,885 posts, read 36,563,313 times

Advertisements

So this virus got me thinking I need to get started with health care proxy and advance directive. But the questions are so black or white....do I want CPR? It depends. I'm only 58, if I have a heart attack then yes I want CPR. But if I'm in the end stages of cancer, then no. Do the questions ONLY apply to terminally ill end of life situations?

As a general rule, I don't want to be kept alive indefinitely with a machine or feeding tube, BUT I also don't want them to pull the plug after one day either because they're anxious to harvest my organs!

Also what kind of things to people put in the lines for "additional personal instructions"?

Can anyone tell me the kind of wording they have used when filling these out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 11:49 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,967,859 times
Have you downloaded the form from your state website? They usually give guidance and examples of the kinds of things people think about.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Have you downloaded the form from your state website? They usually give guidance and examples of the kinds of things people think about.

I did download the form, it was in the course of filling it out that I got confused. For instance there is a free-form section where it asks you to fill in "Conditions that I find unacceptable".

And for the state of permanent unconsciousness, again I don't want to be kept in that state forever, but I don't want them to do it immediately, especially if I check yes to organ donation.

I had a good friend who had a stroke several years ago and was unconscious. I went to visit her 2 days after the stroke, and a nurse popped in and told me I couldn't stay long because they were going to take her kidneys in a little while. I found it shocking and disconcerting that they do it that fast.

I just wish I could put "it depends" for everything, lol. My fiance's form is from VA and his does have that option on every question. Instead of yes/no you can check "I don't know, it would depend on the circumstances" which I assume gives the health care proxy the ability to decide.

Do you have one? If so, what, if anything did you put in the free form sections such as the one I listed above?

Old 03-24-2020, 12:40 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I just wish I could put "it depends" for everything, lol. My fiance's form is from VA and his does have that option on every question. Instead of yes/no you can check "I don't know, it would depend on the circumstances" which I assume gives the health care proxy the ability to deci

I have given my daughter a proxy and have told her explicitly about what circumstances to continue care or pull the plug.
Understand, your kids/proxy need to agree that they can do this or....BTDT, hard to do even if you've agreed ahead of time)
Note that this does not replace the "On your official refrigerator"" notice to EMTs which they will relay to the hospital
I can tell you when my husband's first encounter was with an EMT, he asked me if he had a DNR that I could show him before he started trying to revive him.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I have given my daughter a proxy and have told her explicitly about what circumstances to continue care or pull the plug.
Understand, your kids/proxy need to agree that they can do this or....BTDT, hard to do even if you've agreed ahead of time)
Note that this does not replace the "On your official refrigerator"" notice to EMTs which they will relay to the hospital
I can tell you when my husband's first encounter was with an EMT, he asked me if he had a DNR that I could show him before he started trying to revive him.

But if I put DNR on my advance directive, and mean it as only with a terminal condition, will they not revive me for a heart attack which I might have an excellent chance of recovering from? Again, I'm only 58.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:33 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
Quote:
But if I put DNR on my advance directive, and mean it as only with a terminal condition, will they not revive me for a heart attack which I might have an excellent chance of recovering from? Again, I'm only 58.
In that case, don't put a Do Not DRN (official) on your fridge. Be explicit with your children/proxies
I, for instance, has requested that if I am unable to communicate, let me go....we've already done the "communicating thing"

Unpleasant subject maybe, but a good one.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
In that case, don't put a Do Not DRN (official) on your fridge. Be explicit with your children/proxies
I, for instance, has requested that if I am unable to communicate, let me go....we've already done the "communicating thing"

Unpleasant subject maybe, but a good one.

Okay, thanks

Old 03-24-2020, 02:03 PM

7,484 posts, read 6,269,896 times
Quote:
So this virus got me thinking I need to get started with health care proxy and advance directive. But the questions are so black or white....do I want CPR? It depends. I'm only 58, if I have a heart attack then yes I want CPR. But if I'm in the end stages of cancer, then no. Do the questions ONLY apply to terminally ill end of life situations?

As a general rule, I don't want to be kept alive indefinitely with a machine or feeding tube, BUT I also don't want them to pull the plug after one day either because they're anxious to harvest my organs!

Also what kind of things to people put in the lines for "additional personal instructions"?

Can anyone tell me the kind of wording they have used when filling these out?
One of the episodes of Seinfeld covered this. Kramer was writing instructions

Old 03-24-2020, 02:09 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,967,859 times
Look at the one from VT. I did it a year or so ago, and really don't want to pull it out now to look (head in the sand right now). But I remember it had a pretty long list of situations that might give you some ideas on what to write in on yours. One I remember is would you want antibiotics if there is a good chance it could save you. Others were worded something like "if there is little chance of survival, would you want..."

It is a very hard form to fill out. Very emotional.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
One of the episodes of Seinfeld covered this. Kramer was writing instructions

I'll have to Youtube that one, it rings a bell but I don't remember. I can use a laugh! Seinfeld's apply to everything. I posted a Youtube about Poppy not washing his hands on a thread about Covid-19 and hand-washing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement