Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 10:52 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times

Advertisements

YMCA 360 has free exercise videos, including some for Older Active Adults. https://ymca360.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 11:34 AM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Our walking distance Library is closed due to the Pandemic. No books, no movies, no current magazines (other than my own subscriptions), no out-of-town newspapers, no special events........
you don't need to go to the library to access things like hoopla, etc. or ebooks.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:27 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,148 times
If you are 60ish, checkout School of Rock videos on YouTube. There is something refreshing about seeing the many talented young adults tearing-up classic rock.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:31 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,624 times
My favorite show in the past few years is an undiscovered gem on Amazon Prime: Spirited. It's an Australian dramedy; only two short seasons but it's quirky, endearing, funny, and sad all at once. Nearly every character is LIKABLE, which seems more and more rare these days. I'm about to watch it for a second time.

If you like home decor and oddball reality "stars," Instant Hotel on Netflix is a winner. Two seasons, the first more engaging than the second.

I don't care a lick about fashion, but I was a Project Runway fan till Tim Gunn left. I've found Next in Fashion, on Netflix, a very entertaining substitute. More talent, less drama.

I never watch cooking shows, except . . . Worst Cooks in America (Food Network, Hulu, Direct TV). It is a hoot! And I actually have learned a little something.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:08 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I started watching The Kominsky Method. I don't know why I held off watching this until now. Anyone in their 60's or above would enjoy watching this show. Right now there are two seasons available on Netflix. Eight shows each and they are way too short, but the humor is great. I got more exercise laughing than I usually get in a day.
I really enjoyed The Kominshy Method. I couldn't believe that was Paul Reiser as Martin, until I looked it up. Looking forward to the next season.

One thing I found that helps me enjoy binge watching is to limit them to just one episode per day. It seems the extra time gives them time to "sink in" and I enjoy the series more vs watching several a day.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:32 PM

171 posts, read 94,479 times
With the shelter in place restrictions I'm watching more tv. Normally sports would be at the top of the most viewed but as we all know the sportsworld has not escaped the perils of coronavirus. I do enjoy an occasional movie, some documentaries (history channel, pbs, national geographic etc), cooking shows, favorite episodes of classic shows as well as newer content. Its a good thing that I have home gym and have been working out on a regular basis. Too much tv/internet/sedentary is not the best for health. And of course the news as always and especially now for updates on this pandemic.

Old 03-26-2020, 03:08 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
I've actually been watching less of The Price is Right, mostly because the show seems to be pre-empted quite often for Covid updates. It's probably just as well, since I'm tired of wondering when the contestants are going to go on the trips they have won to Beijing, Italy, or NYC. They don't get to go until the show airs, so I guess they are out of luck to take the trip anytime soon.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:22 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
There are a lot of good international movies and TV shows on Netflix if you don't mind subtitles.

Two good ones:

Altes Geld a series about a very twisted Austrian oligarch, his equally twisted extended family and associates.

Road to Calvary a Russian series based on the Alexey Tolstoy trilogy about the Russian civil war.

Roku has a lot more and better movies than it used to.

It has Gaslight, the Naked City TV series where a lot of big stars got their first breaks.

Roku also has hundreds of free sub channels for anything you can think of including cartoons, news sports, religious denominations.. It's fascinating to see what's out there.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
In case anyone cares what an old person is watching, even if it's not an old show:

Binge watching The Good Fight on CBS All Access. If you never watched The Good Wife, start with that one.

Also on CBS All Access, new show with Edie Falco called Tommy is really good.

Right now binge watching The Good Karma Hospital on Hoopla.

Watched a movie on Amazon Prime last night that was way better than the trailer: Fighting With My Family about a wrestling family and an underdog story, funny and poignant.

I find so many of the old shows portray women and minorities in roles that bother me now, so they aren't as enjoyable to me anymore.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:05 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,404,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I'm in my 70s and am currently in the midst of binge-rewatching the entire Marvel movie series on Disney+, in chronological release order. Tonight? Avengers: The Age of Ultron.

Robert Downey Jr = best Tony Stark imaginable.

And as for Chris Hemsworth as Thor... well... I may be old, but I'm not dead, LOL! Whew! ;-) :-D

(Which reminds me, when I'm done with Marvel I may switch to Netflix and binge all five seasons of Tom Ellis as Lucifer. I could listen to that man talk all day!) (virus? what virus??)
Highly recommend Lucifer! It is incredibly well-written and impeccably cast. Tom Ellis is flawless in every way!

The show brings up lots of interesting points about being a better person in a hilarious, helpful, and non-preachy way. The Devil going to therapy in Los Angeles--Genius concept! Each actor in the show brings tremendous talent to their parts. Tom Ellis is truly a talented actor and singer. His timing and delivery are impeccable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement