Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 05:08 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I sure hope you don't believe systemic racism was eliminated because they held a few meetings.
I don't think think that's what the poster is stating. There's a difference between integrated communities getting along with each other, and other communities just giving up and falling into obscurity. For a description of the latter, read the various threads on Cairo Illinois in the Illinois forum.

There's a difference between systemic racism, and deciding to ignore the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Which some communities did, while others figured out how to make it work. Many communities in southern states were more successful with this, than those in northern states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 06:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
There is no "cheapest for retirees" since everyone has different finances and different needs.
I am a military retiree, both my son and I are disabled veterans, both of us and my wife are on Social Security and Medicare. For us Arizona is fine. None of our income is taxable, we don’t even pay for Auto Tags. It is still expensive for groceries, insurance and some other things. We do burn through $30k a year, I don’t know how that stacks up with the other states.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:42 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
It depends on your income. The answer varies considerably: are you are talking about a poverty-level income, living in a double-wide mobile home, and driving a hooptie? Or are you talking about an upper middle-class existence? If it is the latter, Ohio is quite competitive:

Moderate cost of living
No estate or inheritance tax
Ohio municipal bonds are quadruple tax-free (federal, state, city, and school district income taxes)
No personal property tax on automobiles: A real plus if you should decide to buy a $100,000 Cadillac Escalade.
While some states are more expensive than others, don't be fooled by states without an income tax or sales tax, for instance. They are making up the money on their other taxes
That's not, strictly speaking, true. For example Wyoming gets a lot of state funding from taxes on mineral extraction, as does Texas. The true tax burden for the state is considerably higher in California or New York than it is in Wyoming or other low tax states.

If Ohio works for you, great. But the tornadoes, the snowy winter with heavily salted roads, and the humidity take it out of consideration for me.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:49 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Don't let the Texas 'No Income Tax' fool you. Yes, houses are cheaper, but Property Taxes kill you. Instead of a state income tax, Texas uses their property taxes, and appraisals are automatically going to go up to 10% every year, or other year, or close for most nice homes. You can fight it and get it lowered, but they will get you on the next round, it is a Whack-a-Mole system for appraisals.

My home, paid off 100%, yet I have to pay over 14K a year on property taxes! That is a house note to some people. Think about that if you are retired, that is a good amount going out. If I don't pay, they will confiscate my house. How's that for 'owning' your home? You never really own a home in Texas. Avoid Texas.
Ya the property taxes in Texas are really bad.I dont think Texas is a good place financially for low to middle income retirees largely because of the property taxes.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:05 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Wyoming.
Have you looked at WY real estate prices lately?

OP, look at the YouTube Channel "The World According to Briggs", he's covered this topic at least once, and he's pretty funny to boot, probably my favorite channel for "lists, and ranking states/cities and why"

Old 04-23-2021, 04:53 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
#1 MS. Ive been there and traveled about 2/3 the length of it. Outside of the metro areas. If you are not a native... I doubt you will fit in and I saw one too many person living in a literal 3rd world shack.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:44 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Exactly, don't be fooled by the notion that Texas does not have an income tax... where else does any government entity get their money from? From you via confiscatory tax schemes, they just transfer it from your income to your home. A shell game. Plus my sales tax is 8.25%, not sure how that compares to other states, but I think it is high as well, though it varies by county. Some are really low, but not Houston. Plus we have Third World roads where I live. Or what do they say now, 'Developing Countries'?
Ohio ranges from 6.5% in Wayne & Stark counties up to 8% in Cuyahoga county.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
That's not, strictly speaking, true. For example Wyoming gets a lot of state funding from taxes on mineral extraction, as does Texas. The true tax burden for the state is considerably higher in California or New York than it is in Wyoming or other low tax states.

If Ohio works for you, great. But the tornadoes, the snowy winter with heavily salted roads, and the humidity take it out of consideration for me.
I'm no fan of the cold, snow, and heavily salted roads, either. As far as tornadoes, there was one close enough to my house to hear it years ago. In fact, if I had looked out the front window, I might have seen it. But tornadoes don't scare me; the risk of any given individual encountering a tornado is low.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:02 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
omg!

I pay $600 a year property taxes for my 2400sq ft house, and no income taxes.
We own a totally not fancy ranch house on 10 acres in VT. Taxes approx $4300 last year. $1700'ish for the town (which we have no quarrel with) and the rest for the 'education tax.' That's how VT pays for its 'education.' But it IS income based and since I retired last year, we will see what THIS year brings. The state adjusts based on income. I'm waiting to see just what we will owe this year.
Since I completely expect the 'adjustments' to be reduced over time, I am ready to leave.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yes, I know all about Mathjack and his rent-controlled apartment. Those are rather hard to come by...
I just watched this 10 minute video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ5l6pfHwdc
She lives with her mother & daughter in her mother's rent controlled apartment.

This video comment says it all:
"Seems like the only way most people can afford to rent in NYC is from rent stabilized apartments inherited from their families."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement