Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 03:03 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

I am sure countless people here have already crunched the numbers and done the math. Bottom line: which states are the cheapest for retirees taking into consideration housing costs, COL, taxes (including on retirement income), etc.?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 03:13 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Each state has expensive areas and inexpensive areas. Income at different levels can be handled differently. In short, there is no one answer.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,693 posts, read 58,004,579 times
really depends a lot on income amounts and sources...

but (with low income / low housing costs...) the general USA answer is:
  1. Mississippi
  2. Arkansas
  3. Oklahoma
  4. West Virginia
  5. Indiana
  6. Louisiana
  7. Kentucky
  8. Missouri
  9. Alabama
  10. Tennnessee
Not all specifically in order, since needs vary as do localities.

Of course many won't consider a retirement home east of the Mtn Time Zone (summer Humidity and heat / downwind pollution, public Open Space....)

Then there are those who require services (including specific HC or state assistance), which the top 10 can be limited.

Culture, terrain, family, travel, recreation...

Lots matter, much far more important than cost. (to some)

Several Texas retiree neighbors have been fleeing to NW Arkansas, Take the money and run, while still able! (equity and income tax free previous wage / investment earnings)

I suspect the BEST financial choice will change at least 4-6x during my retirement (due to my income source changes, and personal needs, and state regs)

Old 04-21-2021, 04:15 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Each state has expensive areas and inexpensive areas. Income at different levels can be handled differently. In short, there is no one answer.
Agree. A finer scale than state level is probably going to be more meaningful. "Cheap" is relative in any case. You're going to give up something else to get it but that something else may make all the difference. If you can't get something you need in one location (because its cheap) and have to travel somewhere else for it, what did you save?

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-21-2021 at 05:43 PM..

Old 04-21-2021, 04:15 PM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
There are probably at least a dozen different lists out there regarding this....
-cheapest overall state
-cheapest state to buy a house
-cheapest state to retire in

Here's one I just googled...the cheapest states in America 2020. Mississippi usually comes in 1st place.
Mississippi
Arkansas
West Virginia
Tennessee
South Dakota
Alabama
Kentucky
Ohio
South Carolina
Indiana
https://www.homesnacks.com/cheapest-...%20Indiana.%20

Old 04-21-2021, 04:19 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Wyoming.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:28 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I am sure countless people here have already crunched the numbers and done the math. Bottom line: which states are the cheapest for retirees taking into consideration housing costs, COL, taxes (including on retirement income), etc.?

Based on my travels and temporary contract work all over the US during about 20 years, I tried to make a guess before I opened this thread. My guess was Mississippi, and it looks as though that is the correct answer! It took me about one second to guess, and no other state occurred to me as a possible contender for #1.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:32 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
really depends a lot on income amounts and sources...

but (with low income / low housing costs...) the general USA answer is:
  1. Mississippi
  2. Arkansas
  3. Oklahoma
  4. West Virginia
  5. Indiana
  6. Louisiana
  7. Kentucky
  8. Missouri
  9. Alabama
  10. Tennnessee
Not all specifically in order, since needs vary as do localities.

Of course many won't consider a retirement home east of the Mtn Time Zone (summer Humidity and heat / downwind pollution, public Open Space....)

Then there are those who require services (including specific HC or state assistance), which the top 10 can be limited.

Culture, terrain, family, travel, recreation...

Lots matter, much far more important than cost. (to some)

Several Texas retiree neighbors have been fleeing to NW Arkansas, Take the money and run, while still able! (equity and income tax free previous wage / investment earnings)

I suspect the BEST financial choice will change at least 4-6x during my retirement (due to my income source changes, and personal needs, and state regs)
I'll add another - some (I) won't live south of the Mason-Dixon line/Bible Belt..but that's just me.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:05 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
You should also consider your lifestyle and what you would like to do with your free time: do you enjoy beaches, mountains, fishing, surfing, walking/hiking, hunting etc. You want areas humid heat, dry heat, some snow, four seasons? City life? Driving/walking distance? Retirement communities? Land and ranch living?
Do you need to be close to medical facilities? International airports?
etc...

Old 04-21-2021, 05:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'll add another - some (I) won't live south of the Mason-Dixon line/Bible Belt..but that's just me.
I feel the same way. When you look at those lists, the cheapest states are the worst for a lot of things. It depends upon what is important to you. If some people want Bible Belt stuff, they can have it, but stay away from me. I'd rather be poor and live in one of the states with which I am familiar, where people share the same values as I do, where the health care is good, where people are pretty well educated, where the foods are familiar, where people care about schools and libraries, and where most people are "live and let live."

Climate is important though and there aren't that many great climates in the USA. Some countries accept immigrants for retirement so that would be another consideration, but again, I'd want familiar food and compatible values. Cheapest state? I wouldn't want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement