Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 12:58 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
The latter reminds me of a line in one of my favorite books by Marianna Gosnell, "Zero 3 Bravo: Solo Across America in a Small Plane". I don't remember the exact wording but something like everything on the ground looks small from a pilot's perspective. I think this is one of the reasons I enjoy flying.

You just have to watch out for the "cows getting larger" phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 12:59 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I have to get a grip on this because it's killing me.

I have become more intolerant and I hate it.

I don't like to deal with problems of any kind anymore - have zero tolerance for anything going wrong, and obviously that is problematic!

I had to simply call Comcast today and it ruined my day. I was on the phone for at least a half-an-hour and spoke to two different people and could not get my problem resolved. I just gave up.

I don't know what the solution is to being intolerant - probably a mindfulness practice of some kind.

How do you handle just regular life and problems as they come up now that you're older and maybe sick of it all?
I feel the same way. I just want life to be perfect - no problems, issues etc. I never used to worry and now I do.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:00 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
I am not going to change my answer to please someone, and value my opinion, I owe them that opinion.ni May have to take a deep breath and be a cacti game with my words but it is what it is

Old 05-06-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I used to be very demanding with vendors and service people, and all types of issues -- worst offenders to me were fast food workers at the windows ... now, as I have grown older, I have begun to see everything in light of the bigger picture. Therefore, when I am speaking with a vendor and get frustrated, instead of getting loud and irate, I simply tell them that I am beginning to feel frustrated, and though I know it's not their fault, I need to end the conversation and will address it again when I feel more calm. I also have come to realize that in the grand scheme of things, the small issue I'm dealing with at the moment is not going to be that important in a year, in a month, maybe even in a week.

It seems that with age it is easy to become intolerant...I remember my (ex)husband and I joking about the grumpy old men puppets on the Muppets show back in the day. Now many of my peers, and myself in more recent times past, seem to BE those grumpy old men. So, realizing that, I have made a focused attempt to keep myself grounded, and in touch with my Creator as much as possible, and try to remember that we are all dealing with issues (many times serious and/or sad) and we are all doing the best we can do.

I also heard a great exercise about getting frustrated or intolerant: If you are having a problem with someone you are dealing with, pretend that instead of a stranger, you are talking with a loved one ... how much more tolerant and gentle would you be with them? Then, behave accordingly...
I never get mad at the people I now and then have to encounter

I am as nice as can be, call them by their name, thank them etc. To me being nice gets things done faster.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:01 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times
No clue how old you are OP, but the elderly are well known for being "ornery". The older, the moreso.

I am going to go out on a limb and say it is due to the elderly feeling they have paid their dues and shouldn't have to keep paying. That and life always changing so much so fast, it becomes a huge source of frustration.

In every old 40s drama or comedy, there was always a cantanjerous old grandpappy or uncle who was a sourpuss and a pain to deal with. I believe in my heart of hearts that stereotypes are real, 100% valid. My own mother, now at very old age, is the most stubborn and uncooperative she has ever been. Bear in mind, she was an absolute sweetheart and perfectly normal individual until her mid to late 70s. Then she just started becoming more and more ornery and has gotten rapidly worse every year.

So I am going to call this "normal".

How to deal with it?

The best way is die and go to Heaven. Problem solved.

Other than that, you just grit your teeth and bear it.

One piece of advice, one I can't follow. "The more you have, the more you have to worry about". If it gets that bad and if you can bear it, drop out, go off grid, and just live a very simple life. You will have far less problems to deal with. I would expect the transition would be hellish -- living without all the little luxuries, diversions, and day to day joys you have. But in the end, the aggravation factor would certainly plunge, after a tough transition.

If you get to that point, it is certainly worth trying. I mean, I read you loud and clear. I absolutely hate modern life and wish we could magically go back to the 50s again. I don't care if its "push 1 for English" or if its all the money going out the door these days. I am looking hard for 50s USA somewhere in these United States. Not finding it yet.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
No clue how old you are OP, but the elderly are well known for being "ornery". The older, the moreso.

I am going to go out on a limb and say it is due to the elderly feeling they have paid their dues and shouldn't have to keep paying. That and life always changing so much so fast, it becomes a huge source of frustration.

In every old 40s drama or comedy, there was always a cantanjerous old grandpappy or uncle who was a sourpuss and a pain to deal with. I believe in my heart of hearts that stereotypes are real, 100% valid. My own mother, now at very old age, is the most stubborn and uncooperative she has ever been. Bear in mind, she was an absolute sweetheart and perfectly normal individual until her mid to late 70s. Then she just started becoming more and more ornery and has gotten rapidly worse every year.

So I am going to call this "normal".

How to deal with it?

The best way is die and go to Heaven. Problem solved.

Other than that, you just grit your teeth and bear it.

One piece of advice, one I can't follow. "The more you have, the more you have to worry about". If it gets that bad and if you can bear it, drop out, go off grid, and just live a very simple life. You will have far less problems to deal with. I would expect the transition would be hellish -- living without all the little luxuries, diversions, and day to day joys you have. But in the end, the aggravation factor would certainly plunge, after a tough transition.

If you get to that point, it is certainly worth trying. I mean, I read you loud and clear. I absolutely hate modern life and wish we could magically go back to the 50s again. I don't care if its "push 1 for English" or if its all the money going out the door these days. I am looking hard for 50s USA somewhere in these United States. Not finding it yet.
yes - that is the best thing to do - keep it simple

We were talking about home ownership. Younger folks were whining cuz they could not afford a house etc. I told them do you know what comes with that? If you can't afford to save a down payment, you won't be able to afford to maintain a home etc.

My easiest time was when all i had to do was go to work and concentrate on that. I lived in military housing. They took care of everything. Heck being deployed was a piece of cake compared to how I feel now -

Old 05-06-2021, 01:53 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am looking hard for 50s USA somewhere in these United States. Not finding it yet.

You're too far south. It's in Canada.

Old 05-06-2021, 02:07 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
I think perceiving life as nothing but problems is a new thing that is directly related to age - before, the problems were just looked at as harmless nuisances and were handled, no problem.

Now, everything seems to be a problem and I can't figure out how to solve many of them, I can't find people to help me fix whatever - it just seems "too much."

I do think my inner child is in charge (driving the bus, as they say) more now, than ever.

You do hear people talk about how elderly people become childlike - I relate to that. I am now blurting things out that I should not speak aloud and basically just wanting to have fun 24/7.

It could be related to the spoon feeding of "retirement," and how it's just supposed to be pleasure - i.e., the "Golden Years."

Bah, humbug.

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 05-06-2021 at 02:16 PM..

Old 05-06-2021, 02:13 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,082,749 times
The older you get, your prefrontal cortex becomes less functional, less effective at inhibiting behavior and aggression. Small incidents therefore provoke rage responses more easily.

Old 05-06-2021, 02:18 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
The older you get, your prefrontal cortex becomes less functional, less effective at inhibiting behavior and aggression. Small incidents therefore provoke rage responses more easily.
This is another reason why I detest the "design" of the human being.

If everything is going to go wrong and you're going to start acting weird and you're miserable, what is the point of continuing on in this vein?

Why doesn't nature take care of this?

Another thing to irritate me - Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement