Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 11:34 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times

Advertisements

I don't tolerate rudeness, but when it comes to service people, I'd hate to be on the other end of what they must have to deal with all the time, with all the irate customers they handle. So I have a lot of patience with them.

A tactic I adopted years ago has helped me a lot. When I have a frustrating issue that I have to deal with over the phone, the first thing I say is, "I know this problem isn't your fault, but I'm really frustrated because..." I stay calm, and I even try to inject a little humor into the conversation, and 9 times out of 10 I get a polite resolution to the issue.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't had to deal with Comcast in years and I admit this might not work with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 12:13 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
I’ve had the same increase in intolerance about A LOT of things lately.

The answer for me - is self-care.

1.) Meditation and finding ways to relax - even if it’s taking a walk by myself.

2.). TURN OFF THE TELEVISION and the INTERNET.

3.). Walk away if you have to.

4.). Know that it’s not you. It isn’t.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:29 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
I have too. When I have to do anything uninteresting, I put it off as long as possible because I only want to do fun things, have no tolerance for boring/tedious/humdrum things anymore. In a way, I'm kind of like a child again...I need an adult to make me do stuff I don't want to do.

Old 05-08-2021, 02:55 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I have too. When I have to do anything uninteresting, I put it off as long as possible because I only want to do fun things, have no tolerance for boring/tedious/humdrum things anymore. In a way, I'm kind of like a child again...I need an adult to make me do stuff I don't want to do.
This is exactly how I feel.

I have been super responsible all of my life, taking care of many others who have been irresponsible.

I'm tired. Yes. I think old people get tired and I'm exhausted.

I live alone with my dog, so I HAVE to do everything myself - outdoors and indoors - and it's a drag (I think Mick Jagger sang about "what a drag it is getting old").

A huge part of my annoyance is that I have MANY things I am interested in doing, but only limited energy.

I remember as a young mom having to make the choice to clean house or do something fun with the kids. I usually chose cleaning the house, which I think is sad, and I wish I didn't, but I can't seem to function in a dirty environment.

If I could find trustworthy people to help me, that would be awesome. Gonna keep trying till I expire.

I did take the day off yesterday and went to the beach with my dog for a couple of hours. That was a very nice break. I need more fun in my life - just a more carefree existence. I have always envied the people who have figured out how to lead fun lives and still pay the bills and keep everything in order.

Old 05-09-2021, 03:54 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I have become more intolerant and I hate it.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:03 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
Just seeing the word “Comcast” makes me angry and the last time I had to make a long call to them was about 4 years ago. I loathe everything about that company.
We have Comcast at our vacation house, and Cox at our primary residence.

Comcast absolutely blows. But trust me - Cox is even worse.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:04 PM

161 posts, read 128,298 times
Quote:
I have to get a grip on this because it's killing me.

I have become more intolerant and I hate it.

I don't like to deal with problems of any kind anymore - have zero tolerance for anything going wrong, and obviously that is problematic!

I had to simply call Comcast today and it ruined my day. I was on the phone for at least a half-an-hour and spoke to two different people and could not get my problem resolved. I just gave up.

I don't know what the solution is to being intolerant - probably a mindfulness practice of some kind.

How do you handle just regular life and problems as they come up now that you're older and maybe sick of it all?
Dealing with comcast puts everyone in a bad mood. Totally understandable. I think as you get older, you are just tired of all the BS. I am.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:04 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
It is an age-related issue because I used to be able to let stuff go - "like water off a duck's back."

I think there are several contributors to my new malady:

1) Expectations: I erroneously expected that things would go well, in general, and that I would be doing well at this point in my life. I'm mad that that is not the case. It's irrational because those beliefs don't serve me, but they must be very deeply ingrained, and some subconscious, because it's an ongoing problem.

2) I have noticed that I get mind-boggled now more than I ever did previously. What I mean is that I get stumped and frustrated when I can't figure out how to solve a problem. I have several of those kinds of problems, and not only can I not figure things out, I can't find "experts" to help me figure the stuff out. Long list of stuff that just boggles my mind.

3) The Comcast call was because my bill keeps going up around $25 dollars per month - sometimes when I call, the put me on some kind of promotion that expires in a month, and then I have to call again. My bill began at around $175 and then went up to $200, $225, and this month was over $250. The person I initially spoke with said she would try to help me, but she never did. She first asked my name and I told her my legal name but said they have my name on file as a previous name (I sent them the updated, official information, but they never changed it) - so then she asked if that's why I called and I said, no, but you asked what my name is so I am telling you my current name and the one you have on file. Then she reviewed my account, but kept telling me she would help me, but then just kept babbling about how great it was going to be when she finally helped me! Then she reviewed my plan and said something about a landline and I said I don't have a landline, can you take that off - and of course, she could not take that off, she had to transfer me - then the next person asked about the channels I want and I said I would have to review a list because I don't want to accidentally get rid of some specific channels I need. The entire call was 28 minutes and I got nothing accomplished. I paid the $252 bill.

4) I had also gotten a notice from IRS saying their calculations are different from mine, so took that down to my tax guy (who is very exasperated in general and doesn't return phone calls) - so I have no idea what's going to happen with that.

5) I own a commercial property and had to talk to someone about various repairs. It's never-ending.

I basically have no tolerance for solving problems anymore. The list is too long - there are too many things out of my control, I don't want to think about problems.

I have concluded I'm entitled (have lots to be grateful for, but don't feel grateful because I get so pissed off about all of this stuff I have to handle), I have expectations that I should be relaxing and having fun most of the time, and I have goals that it sometimes feels like are really difficult to accomplish (trying to get all loose ends tied up so I can travel).

I just feel disappointed, frustrated, and angry at a lot of things in my life. I didn't mention my dog barking, non-stop, which just adds to the chaos.

I also have stuff I am working on in therapy (a lot of unprocessed grief over stuff that's happened).

I am an HSP (Highly Sensitive Person), so my nervous system is always on high alert.

I hate complaining, and feel like that is what I am doing - but if I don't express it, it gets bottled up and then I explode (oh, I forgot that my printer would not print what I wanted it to, for no good reason - and then when it did, one line was blurry, no matter how many times I fanned the paper). I just don't feel I can take it anymore (not going anywhere, that's just how I feel).

Just fed up and unhappy right now.

Then I think of all those with truly horrible problems and it makes me feel like an even worse person for being so petty and spoiled.

Definitely need a mindset change - working on it.
This is where you are going wrong. Don't pay the bill. You can quote me: "I'm out! You're fired!" It is only when you threaten them with cutting off the income stream that you get a serious response. And you need to be deadly serious, if they don't cut your bill fire them and don't ever go back. You're welcome!

Old 05-09-2021, 10:21 PM

173 posts, read 380,698 times
Eat a 5mg THC gummy and you’ll be a lot nicer and you won’t sweat the small stuff either.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:43 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
Just seeing the word “Comcast” makes me angry and the last time I had to make a long call to them was about 4 years ago. I loathe everything about that company. I wouldn’t use any interaction with them as an indication that you have a tolerance issue.
In my case, it was Spectrum (formerly Time Warner). Last year I called them for the last time to cancel Cable when switching over to using Streaming & OTA TV channels...YAY!

AT&T is becoming a close second...pretty irritating, most recently being on hold a long while, to hear their recorded message repeatedly, another aggravation being that representatives can be difficult to understand, due to broken English, thick accents. I've had to ask to repeat what is said at times.

Only venting since it was brought up. I think this likely makes many lose their patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement