Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2021, 06:13 PM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I found from living in Westchester, NY my neighbors expected me to be a far left democrat. Neighbors would talk about politics like the weather. No big deal. If you didn't agree, you had better keep quiet.
Being an immigrant I have and advantage here - everyone knows something nasty about immigrants. Plus I was raised to make small tak without politics, religion, personal finances. LOL - I was thrown into a professional conversation about hydro cyclones and ended up with the job of a lifetime

Old 10-29-2021, 06:44 PM

21,952 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I found from living in Westchester, NY my neighbors expected me to be a far left democrat. Neighbors would talk about politics like the weather. No big deal. If you didn't agree, you had better keep quiet.
I think it's pretty much the same everywhere these days...

Old 10-29-2021, 08:07 PM

164 posts, read 113,639 times
Moved down here to North Carolina from Yorktown 16 years ago. Love it down here but this small town is becoming too liberal since so many northerners are moving to the area, too much bickering now. It was once nice and quiet, more laid back which I like. We would like to find a smaller house to downsize but due to prices skyrocketing, we are finding it difficult to know if we should stay put or move somewhere else. Knew I wanted out of New York, but where to now? It was more affordable when we arrived, unfortunately for many locals, they can no longer afford it.

By the way, everyone we became friendly with then have moved to other towns or out of state now. A lot of younger families now. Everyone stays unto themselves. A wave or short conversation. Some older are planning to move again when they retire.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:05 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,415,945 times
How about that, you moved from Yorktown and there's another poster here named YorktownGal! What a coincidence. I don't even know where Yorktown is.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:14 PM

7,665 posts, read 3,290,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I lived in PNW for a couple of years and DW went to HS and college there - neither of us has any desire to go back. I grew up in CA and we have lived there for almost 20 years - not staying there either, too much woke policies that I don't want to pay for. We both like LV although neither of us is much of a gambler - so much to do.

Well, if you were born and raised in Vegas you may have gotten a gambling gene It's hereditary.

I have thought about retiring to NV. However, I think the water supply is very iffy. Water is less of a risk in OR. I think OR might be a good place to ride out climate change. But, it's now very expensive.

Old 10-29-2021, 10:05 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPurdue View Post
Neighbors seem to bond better when everyone moves in around the same time, as in a new subdivision.

We moved in to an established neighborhood in Phoenix. It was our first home and was hard to blend in and meet people. Six years later we moved into a new, developing community. We have friends here now who we have known for thirty years.

All is not lost. Invite all of your neighbors over for a happy hour. That might jump-start things.
This is my experience. Also, when most of the people have relocated from other areas, and are of a similar age with children of about the same age.

Old 10-30-2021, 05:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
How about that, you moved from Yorktown and there's another poster here named YorktownGal! What a coincidence. I don't even know where Yorktown is.
Yorktown VA is one Yorktown - and it is actually my very favorite place on this earth!

It's in the southeast corner of Virginia in the Historic Triangle area and I went on vacation there this past summer! (Again - used to live there.)

Old 10-30-2021, 06:37 AM

17,350 posts, read 11,312,371 times
I think it's all about that specific neighborhood. If Fluffy had moved somewhere else, there's a good chance she and her husband would be making friends. She obviously would like to and she tries to be social. The thing about moving is you can rarely predict who your neighbors will be. Perhaps I'm wrong about this, but it seems to me the more affluent the people and the bigger the homes in a neighborhood, the less likely they will want to socialize with neighbors.

As an introvert I honestly didn't think I would be chatting with locals. Coming from CA and moving to a small town in middle America, I thought I'd be lucky if locals didn't throw rocks at me, LOL. I just moved here about 4 months ago and have met some really nice people who love to stop and talk. There's one young couple with about 5 little kids who recently bought a very large historic home just up the street. The man is a relative of Daniel Boone and they have deep roots here. I met them while walking downtown and they always stop and talk with me and are very gracious. They promised to bring their kids and dog over on Halloween to trick or treat.
Another couple have a store downtown and they insist I stop by and chat with them whenever I see them. They invited me upstairs to see their converted apartment which they rent out as an Airbnb. If they see me walking by, they wave me to come inside and pull up a chair just to chit chat.
I've already been invited and attended a dinner put on by Knights of Columbus. My neighbors next door are the nicest people and talk to me almost everyday. They tell me to let them know if I ever need anything or if they can pick up some groceries for me. Just the other day, they offered to drive me to the train station when I told them I'd be gone a few days to visit my brother in NY.

So, it's just my personal observation that the neighborhood is everything as far as meeting people. If I could meet people I have no doubt fluffy would too if other people in the area were open to it.

Last edited by marino760; 10-30-2021 at 07:02 AM..

Old 10-30-2021, 07:20 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,989,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I think it's all about that specific neighborhood. If Fluffy had moved somewhere else, there's a good chance she and her husband would be making friends. She obviously would like to and she tries to be social. The thing about moving is you can rarely predict who your neighbors will be. Perhaps I'm wrong about this, but it seems to me the more affluent the people and the bigger the homes in a neighborhood, the less likely they will want to socialize with neighbors.
That may be true. Or they may just be very involved in their own lives. Nothing wrong with that. But I do long to chat with ordinary folks, people who are not on the spectrum. It's been nice catching up with my CA neighbors this week.

A senior couple a few doors down bought the house next to theirs three years ago and completely remodeled it. Then they rented it out. They were going to buy the house next to ours when it came on the market last week but it sold very quickly. So there are affluent people on our street but relatively small houses.

One of my neighbors here just turned 95. She still walks without assistance but not as quickly as she used to, which is understandable. Still...95! Wow. All those years of yoga really paid off.

I'm glad your retirement place is working out for you, marino. I've seen the pictures. It looks wonderful.

Old 10-30-2021, 07:25 AM

37,648 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
It's U.S. history, man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.