Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 10:04 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It's more a matter of people in Retirement forum (and also some other CD forums) being so STARVED for threads to post in - they are emotionally starved and psychologically starved for threads to post in out of boredom, loneliness, listlessness, anomie, and emptiness that they look for ANY way to be included in threads or thread topics which they are not part of......some people have very strong urges and COMPULSIONS to post, no matter what.
Yes, indeed... An irresistible compulsion not only to garner attention by posting in threads that aren't applicable, but to dominate, monopolize, hijack, and ridicule the stated purpose of those threads. Some seem to regard C-D as their personal blogs... Sad, really! Thanks, OP, for valiantly trying...

Last edited by otterhere; 11-04-2021 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 10:50 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Places like hospitals have no choice. I always liked volunteering to work more holidays than the every-other requirement. Once a woman gave me $100 to work for her.
Wow, I can't say I ever was paid to work someone else's holidays. We knew we had to take turns, but I don't think anyone was thrilled to do it. When someone really wanted a particular holiday off and was scheduled to work, we generally just switched around, traded holidays so the person could have it off.

The financial incentives to work those holidays always seems to get more volunteers to work then. If an employer pays time and a half, or better yet, pays the holiday and time and a half for working that day ( essentially double time and a half), it always seemed there were no problems finding enough people who wanted to work those holidays. But that stopped where I worked with the advent of the PTO system, so people were paid straight time to work holidays, no holiday pay.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:59 AM

475 posts, read 318,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yes, indeed... An irresistible compulsion not only to garner attention by posting in threads that aren't applicable, but to dominate, monopolize, hijack, and ridicule the stated purpose of those threads. Some seem to regard C-D as their personal blogs... Sad, really! Thanks, OP, for valiantly trying...
You might want to go back and read post #34 from the Op.

Old 11-04-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I still think it's a stereotype conjured up by people who most often do not spend the holidays alone.....even if some people or a few people do the three behaviors on holidays alone. (or some of the behaviors)

It implies that those who spend the holidays alone resort to lower-level behaviors and pablum of the masses.

It buys into the negative stereotype that people who spend holidays alone are pitiful in some way....which is not true at all.
You're reading your own interpretation or motives into posts from others you don't know, know nothing about. Far as I am concerned, you don't get to do that. Since your criticisms were aimed at what I said, I will say unequivocally that I had NO intentions of implying, not even thought about any such implications that spending some time, holiday or not, alone or not indulging in whatever one sees fit on occasion is in anyway a "lower-level behavior". On the contrary, it can be a balm for the soul and worthwhile for the "r and r" it provides to reset our perspectives in our crazy world. So no, it isn't a negative in any way.

There is also no reason to believe that others ( certainly not me) assume that being alone on a holiday or any other time is a negative thing. What's been said on these threads ad nauseum ( and apparently ignored by those intent on making "aloneness" a repetitive giant issue every Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year holiday) is the idea that there are many ways to spend those holidays, none of them "-inferior" or negative compared to others. What most anyone would agree is the
holiday spent under circumstances that make a person unhappy, or feeling worse and wishing they were elsewhere under different circumstances is sad. That is the case whether person is in a large family group of extended relatives, with a smaller family unit, spouse, children, neighbors, or at home with no one else there. If one is happy or satisfied with the circumstances it's not a "negative" situation, or inferior to other alternatives.

I can't say it any more clearly. If you have issues with one's state of being "alone" relative to the proximity of others on holidays, a little introspection might be a good thing.

Old 11-04-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
LOL, methinks the pathology is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 11-04-2021, 03:29 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I would think that being "lonely" would be the point rather than "being alone."

Just being alone can be good, bad or indifferent.

Feeling lonely is noteworthy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-04-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would think that being "lonely" would be the point rather than "being alone."

Just being alone can be good, bad or indifferent.

Feeling lonely is noteworthy.
That's about it in a nutshell.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:01 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would think that being "lonely" would be the point rather than "being alone"...Feeling lonely is noteworthy.
It might be the point of some post on being "alone for the holidays," but it was never the point of the annual posts I started on the subject; rather, as I recall, I simply asked how people who were alone - as in solitary - spent those days that are traditionally, culturally, and historically all about being with others (at least ONE other). As we all know, one can be alone and yet not feel lonely, and one can feel lonely while with others, so that would be an entirely different post, IMO.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:31 PM

5,453 posts, read 4,058,826 times
In the spirit of the holidays, can we please stop bickering over who is or is not allowed to post in this thread? Let's consider it an "are you alone for the holidays?" thread. There's room for everyone's experiences. If you really need a "strictly alone" thread, do it in Non-Romantic Relationships. People of all ages could be alone.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:49 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Alone for the holidays ~ all threads were in Non-Romantic Relationships except for one

https://www.city-data.com/forum/sear...rchid=44027142
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement