Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 07:51 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I enjoy my holidays alone.
Same here! Very peaceful and that's what I am 'thankful' for.

Attended too many chaotic and upsetting holiday get togethers in the past and that was it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 09:31 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueworld View Post
Sounds like a great plan to me, LOL.

Seriously though, I lived through more than 20 years of hellish winter holiday seasons while I was married, because of in-law drama. It would start right about now, leading up to Thanksgiving which was the first holiday occasion I actively dreaded. Then there was the in-laws special weekend-before-Xmas "thing." Then the Xmas Day drama. It was 24/7 stress for me every freakin' year and it all kicked into high gear on Thanksgiving. I could go on and on...

Anyway, once I was finally out of that situation (as of 15 yrs ago) I completely ignored Thanksgiving for the next six years. If it was decent weather, I'd spend it working on the garden. But more often it was too cold/windy/etc and so I'd spend the entire day in pajamas, eating junk food and binge-watching videos I'd got the day before from Blockbuster. I wanted to get as far as possible from that holiday kickoff day-from-hell. It's only been the past couple of years that I no longer feel a noticeable level of PTSD-type stress from even thinking about Thanksgiving and have gone to a dinner at a friend's house. But to be honest, I was glad that it wasn't an option for them to have it last year. Still don't know if I will go this year, if they do have it. I'm still COVID-phobic, for one thing, and having to be around people who are not wearing masks because they're eating will freak me out. I may just stop in for a few minutes after dessert to say hi. But truthfully, I'd rather not go.
IMO spending Thanksgiving Day in your PJs, eating junk food and binge-watching whatever meets your fancy sounds like a great idea. Especially if the alternative includes all that in-law and other family bruhahas you describe.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:36 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
If we have family or friends visiting for Christmas it’s icing but my husband and I can and have found ways to enjoy holidays alone too. One year when our son was overseas in the military and our daughter off with college friends my husband and I decided to do Opposite Day on Christmas Day. No traditional ornaments or meals. We had a blast with white elephant Christmas gifts. Dinner was Chinese food.
This Christmas we plan to go away for a few days. Hotel room will have up my paper chains, Christmas stockings, and the traditional Christmas cracker ( party popper).
I love Christmas, my fave hol so I make it a special day no matter what, no matter where, no matter with who.

Just like many New Yorkers!

"Did you know that Christmas and Christmas Eve are the busiest day of the year for most American Chinese restaurants? While a lot of New Yorkers struggle with the challenge of finding delicious restaurant options that are open on Christmas Chinatown is very much open on Christmas Day."

https://loving-newyork.com/christmas-restaurants-nyc/

Old 11-01-2021, 11:12 AM

17,370 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Gotta be careful on CD about what you consider “alone”.

I have family, so I’m not in that select group.

But if I was living by myself, I don’t feel like it would be a huge imposition to do the holiday with just me. I do have a dog, though, so that may be considered “not alone” by the Alone Police.
No, I think that if you are sitting alone in your house with your dog on Christmas Day, you would be considered alone. Your dog might be really good company while you relax, snuggle and enjoy movie day on the couch, though. "Alone" doesn't have to mean lonely.

If you were sitting in your house with your husband on Christmas Day before you met up with friends to exchange presents you are anything but "alone".

Old 11-01-2021, 11:48 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
It's nice to be alone, no one backstabbing you, gossiping or basically treating you like a leper.

The holiday is false, I don't celebrate it. I oblige my older sister with a "T-Day" meal at Shari's. The younger one cutoff communication and that's one thing I AM thankful for.

Then I continue do as God commands....

Old 11-01-2021, 11:54 AM

1,057 posts, read 547,624 times
"So..I got to thinking...if you are alone for these holidays, and can spare a few dollars...why not call your local catholic charities or a local church, maybe even the salvation army... get the name of a family in need, buy simple TG dinner items, and go spend time with a family in need, get all involved in cooking the meal, and celebrate with them instead of being alone on the coming holidays?"

While a needy family might be happy to take assistance I doubt they want a stranger coming to their home, cooking and socializing with them.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

IMO spending Thanksgiving Day in your PJs, eating junk food and binge-watching whatever meets your fancy sounds like a great idea. Especially if the alternative includes all that in-law and other family bruhahas you describe.
Just want to mention that my holidays alone do not entail any of the three behaviors which you mention, and the holidays never would entail those three behaviors.

No spending the day in pajamas, no junk food, and no binge-watching of TV or episodes.

Although a few people may do those behaviors on holidays, it sounds like a stereotype conjured up by people who generally do not spend holidays alone or do so only very sporadically.

But if you do so personally, poster, there are millions of people who do not do those three behaviors.....just because they are alone on a holiday.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Just want to mention that my holidays alone do not entail any of the three behaviors which you mention, and the holidays never would entail those three behaviors.

No spending the day in pajamas, no junk food, and no binge-watching of TV or episodes.

Although a few people may do those behaviors on holidays, it sounds like a stereotype conjured up by people who generally do not spend holidays alone or do so only very sporadically.

But if you do, poster, there are millions of people who do not do those three behaviors.....just because they are alone on a holiday.
Travelassie's response was to a post from someone who said:

Quote:
But more often it was too cold/windy/etc and so I'd spend the entire day in pajamas, eating junk food and binge-watching videos I'd got the day before from Blockbuster.
So someone is doing it, even if it's not you. This idea didn't come from some stereotype conjured up by people who generally do not spend holidays alone.

Personally, I can do that behavior a time or two a week if I want (I don't generally want to but if it's cold and rainy outside, that changes things!). So I prefer spending holidays with family and/or friends. I mean, to me, holidays are special and I am grateful to be able to spend them with people who mean a lot to me. I know that one day I may not be able to do so and if not, I will at least have a lot of good memories. I never have had family drama at a holiday dinner so I'm thankful for that too.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:16 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
I still think it's a stereotype conjured up by people who most often do not spend the holidays alone.....even if some people or a few people do the three behaviors on holidays alone. (or some of the behaviors)

It implies that those who spend the holidays alone resort to lower-level behaviors and pablum of the masses.

It buys into the negative stereotype that people who spend holidays alone are pitiful in some way....which is not true at all.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:19 PM

17,370 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I still think it's a stereotype conjured up by people who most often do not spend the holidays alone.....even if some people or a few people do the three behaviors on holidays alone.

It implies that those who spend the holidays alone resort to lower-level behaviors and pablum of the masses.
So what do you do when you spend the holidays alone? i don't think there is one right answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement