Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 12:00 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,999,515 times

Advertisements

Yes, my wife, me and my dog will be alone for the holidays, for the second year. The same with birthdays. I prefer it that way. Today we locked our gate and won't have trick or treaters, the second year in a row. If I wanted company for the holidays I'd be with my kids and grandkids. Why would I eat with strangers? It's an absurd idea to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
This morning I flipped the calendar over to November, because today is the last day of October.

Before I opened here to the retirement forum, I had already decided to post this thread BEFORE seeing katharsis' post. Her post seems more to be about Halloween (just for the record, we don't "do" Halloween, and I'll be getting up at 1:30am for work, so I'll be in bed very early)

So, or but, TG and Christmas are coming.

How many of you will spend these two days alone?

Spouse and I usually spend TG with very close friends who are like family. We spend Christmas with them too... our three "great nephews are spoiled rotten with gifts!

Of course, the last two years there was no such gatherings!

So..I got to thinking...if you are alone for these holidays, and can spare a few dollars...why not call your local catholic charities or a local church, maybe even the salvation army... get the name of a family in need, buy simple TG dinner items, and go spend time with a family in need, get all involved in cooking the meal, and celebrate with them instead of being alone on the coming holidays?

Or gather some likewise alone seniors, band together and cook/enjoy a holiday meal together?

So, will you be alone for the holidays?

If so...what do you think of these ideas?

Or are you just going to curl up in a ball, pull the covers over your head and pretend the day doesn't exist?

Let's discuss...

Last edited by bobspez; 10-31-2021 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 12:32 PM

37,823 posts, read 46,367,178 times
Quote:
This morning I flipped the calendar over to November, because today is the last day of October.

Before I opened here to the retirement forum, I had already decided to post this thread BEFORE seeing katharsis' post. Her post seems more to be about Halloween (just for the record, we don't "do" Halloween, and I'll be getting up at 1:30am for work, so I'll be in bed very early)

Spouse and I usually spend TG with very close friends who are like family. We spend Christmas with them too... our three "great nephews are spoiled rotten with gifts!

Of course, the last two years there was no such gatherings!

So..I got to thinking...if you are alone for these holidays, and can spare a few dollars...why not call your local catholic charities or a local church, maybe even the salvation army... get the name of a family in need, buy simple TG dinner items, and go spend time with a family in need, get all involved in cooking the meal, and celebrate with them instead of being alone on the coming holidays?

Or gather some likewise alone seniors, band together and cook/enjoy a holiday meal together?

So, will you be alone for the holidays?

If so...what do you think of these ideas?

Or are you just going to curl up in a ball, pull the covers over your head and pretend the day doesn't exist?

Let's discuss...
The ONE person I really want to see on Christmas (and Christmas Eve cuz that's his B/D) is my son. If I get to see family, that is icing on the cake. I will be with my BF of course, too. I never "curl up in a ball...." that just isn't me. I enjoy the holidays, and always put up a tree and decorate. Thanksgiving, I could not care less about frankly. Just always seemed to be more about food than anything else. It has never interested me that much. I always preferred to take a road trip somewhere and get away from the crowd.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 10-31-2021 at 12:40 PM..

Old 10-31-2021, 01:03 PM

16,278 posts, read 7,209,320 times
We are taking a road trip for TG, meeting friends and family at breaks and on the day.
For me both holidays were stressful. Our kids have moved, all our close friends we celebrated the holidays with have moved. So Holidays now are whenever we meet with our kids, grands, their dogs. That is celebration I love.
Now Holidays are just another day and I enjoy tremendously thinking of all the stuff i dont have to do and curl up with a good book or watch tv or whatever. I love it. I only miss my kids whom we will see during the winter months.
We do contribute to food banks and shelters but not necessarily at the holidays.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:28 PM

18,738 posts, read 33,541,338 times
I've read that shelters etc. have way too many volunteers on the specific holiday days and still need them the rest of the year.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:53 PM

17,429 posts, read 11,442,017 times
Speaking as a single person, I have a difficult time thinking of a married couple as being alone for holidays. I suppose if you're married you begin thinking of you and your spouse as one entity maybe?
I always thought of "being alone" as one person.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:55 PM

1,408 posts, read 757,010 times
I prefer to make a meal for myself and plan movies or just quiet time after making a few holiday phone calls.

I have enjoyed this now for my retirement years after working so many holidays because of hospital requirements.

Old 10-31-2021, 03:29 PM

837 posts, read 1,723,504 times
I may very well spend Thanksgiving curled up in a ball under the covers. My birthday, too as its just a few days before TG. I'm having hip replacement surgery in mid November and am anticipating pain. Not sure it will be worse than the current pre-op pain, maybe just in a slightly different place. I won't mind a holiday under the covers, if it means I can walk without pain again.

Hopefully, I will feel well enough by Xmas to put up tree and decor.

Old 10-31-2021, 03:38 PM

22,130 posts, read 13,287,159 times
Quote:
I had already decided to post this thread BEFORE seeing katharsis' post. Her post seems more to be about Halloween (just for the record, we don't "do" Halloween...

So.., I got to thinking...if you are alone for these holidays, and can spare a few dollars...why not call your local catholic charities or a local church, maybe even the salvation army... get the name of a family in need, buy simple TG dinner items, and go spend time with a family in need, get all involved in cooking the meal, and celebrate with them instead of being alone on the coming holidays?

I have historically initiated the "alone for the holidays" thread, but after a few years of trying to fend off posters who weren't alone for the holidays yet insisted on hijacking the discussion every time, I've grown weary...

Sounds like you aren't "alone for the holidays," either, yet are asking us.

Are those our only two choices? Give to charity OR pull the covers over our heads???

Old 10-31-2021, 03:48 PM

22,130 posts, read 13,287,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Yes, my wife, me and my dog will be alone for the holidays..
Not to belabor the point, but if you're with your wife and dog, you're not "alone." In short, if your post begins with "we," YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Sigh!

Old 10-31-2021, 03:49 PM

17,687 posts, read 16,830,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I have historically initiated the "alone for the holidays" thread, but after a few years of trying to fend off posters who weren't alone for the holidays yet insisted on hijacking the discussion every time, I've grown weary...

Sounds like you aren't "alone for the holidays," either, yet are asking us.

Are those our only two choices? Give to charity OR pull the covers over our heads???
Are you literally alone, just you, for the holidays? If so, how do you spend them?

Do you make or order yourself a turkey dinner? Do you listen to Christmas music and watch Christmas specials on TV? Do you attend church services and/or meet up with friends to go on a light drive?

Or do you prefer to spend those days relaxing and doing your own thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement