Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 09:16 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times

Advertisements

Not alone, but not making a big meal here. Will probably go to my sisters house and then my nephews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 09:20 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I get what you're saying, galaxyhi. But I've worked for several non-profits including The Salvation Army. I can assure you they aren't going to give you the names of their client families. Those folks deserve their privacy.

I have VERY little family. When I was single, I ALWAYS preferred staying home alone fir Thanksgiving and Christmas. I found that to be much more comfortable than being with someone else's family. Their shared history made me feel completely bereft and alone.

When I married at 40, I found that DH didn't care about the holidays at all. He was perfectly happy staying home having me cook something expensive and luxurious.

Then we moved to a new construction home in a neighborhood filled with senior citizens like ourselves. We developed friendships VERY quickly and several have become what I believe will be lifelong friends. We all spend those holidays together. It's the first time in my life I look forward and enjoy the holidays.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:08 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
If that's what someone wants to do, I say go for it.

As for me, I'll be alone. I won't pretend the holiday doesn't exist. I won't pull the covers over my head and wait for the day to be over.

I will enjoy them. Alone.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:16 AM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
I don't consider spending the holidays with my spouse being alone. Alone means just you. It's never been just me so I don't know exactly how I would handle it. Churches celebrate Christmas and even groups that you volunteer with normally have holiday celebrations.

In our case, our kids will be home for the holidays. I'll cook a nice holiday spread. The house will be decorated both inside and out. Gifts will be under the tree, stockings hung on the fireplace mantle. My mom will come over and spend the day with us. Last year we traveled to see my husband's side of the family. My mom enjoyed spending the day with her friends in her Independent Living residence and we celebrated Christmas with her once we got back.

When our kids are married and possibly spread all over the country, my husband and I will still celebrate. We might order a premade Thanksgiving dinner or get a table top tree instead of the big, live tree that we've always gotten. I don't know. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. If we are living in a 55+ retirement community we might even have friends over. Of course, our kids and their families will always be welcome to come home for the holidays. Some years we might travel to see them. We'll have to see what the future brings.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:31 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I always worked holidays and got time-and-a-half and people brought me food and appreciated my working for them. This is my fourth "holiday season" in retirement and they're pretty much non-events as ever.

The people next door bring their kids over in costumes for me to see. They have family and all for the official holidays.

I think we should have lights and food all year long.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:49 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
I'm about ready to make the first time in a lifetime decision to spend the holidays alone with my disabled son. Despite having an elderly parent, aunts & uncles, nine older kids & eight grandchildren.

He just can't be safe around people. I've got one more trick up my sleeve & will wait to call it until after I've tried it.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:12 AM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I always worked holidays and got time-and-a-half and people brought me food and appreciated my working for them. This is my fourth "holiday season" in retirement and they're pretty much non-events as ever.

The people next door bring their kids over in costumes for me to see. They have family and all for the official holidays.

I think we should have lights and food all year long.
My kids will be getting time and a half on Thanksgiving. We'll be fitting our dinner in between their work schedules.

It used to be that employers would pay DOUBLE time for working the holidays and time and a half for working over 40 hrs/week. I used to work those double time hours every chance that I got and my work weeks always went over 40hrs/wk so overtime was always a factor in my pay. When did they get rid of double time pay for the holidays?

Old 10-31-2021, 11:36 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
My mother was always the "hub" for family events: Thanksgiving, Christmas, sometimes birthdays, but she finally died last year in her 90's. Her house is gone & all her 3 sons are living currently as singletons with our separate lives. I am further away from their suburban county but I'm in a stable place, my long time apartment home, while they are both in newish rentals & in transitory periods.

But I'm in a dense urban environment they don't like - they hate trying to park here since they live in the land of endless parking lots & empty streets while I don't even own a vehicle & commuting by train for over an hour (with food?) isn't a joy, neither would be spending hundreds of dollars to rent a car just so they wouldn't have to be bothered to find a parking space here.

We will probably figure something out, I will probably commute out to at least one, negotiations have started. I spent many years in distant locations where I spent either Thanksgiving/Christmas sometimes alone, no biggie for me.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:43 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

It used to be that employers would pay DOUBLE time for working the holidays and time and a half for working over 40 hrs/week. I used to work those double time hours every chance that I got and my work weeks always went over 40hrs/wk so overtime was always a factor in my pay. When did they get rid of double time pay for the holidays?

I worked in a large hospital system and was paid by the hour. I don't remember any double time. There was no union, so quantitative decisions just came down from on high.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:53 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
It’s yet another holiday in that long stretch of commercial crassness running from Halloween through Valentine’s Day.

My husband and I will do dinner ourselves, which I don’t consider “alone.” Truly alone feels different from couple alone; I’ve had several like that even after marriage, due to travel-related separations.

What I miss is the Thanksgiving and Christmas meals when we used to go to dim sum restaurants. They were almost the only restaurants open those days, and we love dim sum. They were always busy, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement