Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 09:18 AM

13,078 posts, read 7,543,778 times

Advertisements

We had one in Redmond WA. Building inspector was called in for something. Poked some holes into the structure and Immediatedly condemned and ordered evacuation of the building. Take only your belongings. Building could collapse anytime. Building fenced, and remained standing for another 6 months before demolition.

Stucco, in the PNW Wetside, does not work well on wood. It is low maintenance until it's not.

Another senior center is in Redmond's upland.
Never been there. I'm too old to climb hills and dells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 09:20 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,880,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Look in regions with US National Labs. They are in nice areas, and often have a very engaged senior community. (Lots of arts, intellect, and travel)
Do you mean the labs that are part of the US Dept of Energy? I'm not sure I get how that would benefit senior citizen services.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Do you mean the labs that are part of the US Dept of Energy? I'm not sure I get how that would benefit senior citizen services.
Since US National Labs are often located in desirable locations, many employees stay put in those communities for retirement. Those retirees are strong advocates for the senior centers, and very engaged as volunteers and Grant funding. I have been really impressed by visiting and researching those communities for retirement relocation. Attending and volunteering in the community events is very enlightening.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:11 AM

22 posts, read 14,831 times
Thank you everyone who has replied...great suggestions.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:41 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,543,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Since US National Labs are often located in desirable locations, many employees stay put in those communities for retirement. Those retirees are strong advocates for the senior centers, and very engaged as volunteers and Grant funding. I have been really impressed by visiting and researching those communities for retirement relocation. Attending and volunteering in the community events is very enlightening.
not inexpensive, at least in Livermore/Pleasanton.
YResearchLabMV

Old 11-09-2021, 09:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
We considered senior centers in different communities. For us the issue is it emphasizes the marginalization of retirees. Not in a specific way as in 'let's send the oldsters to the center to keep them busy, because they need to do something', but rather as a way to define us a a subset of the community.

Rather we chose a over 55 community where it's designed around us, it is always our time We live in the mega (150k) retirement center, The Villages, FL.

At 165.00/month with free golf it's reasonable. Homes do come at a premium. At one time I estimated homes are 30% more than comparable 55+ homes in the area. But I can swim in over 100 pools, over 600 rounds of golf, 6,000 clubs or I can do nothing but I don't need to travel anywhere to be around people my age.

The unspoken part it is what most retirees want, neat, beautiful, safe, good health care where you can age in place. Heck you can even live comfortably when your driving is limited to a golf cart.
6000 clubs? ....actually?

Old 11-10-2021, 08:46 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,798,324 times
I also forgot to mention that one "senior center" isn't designated as such. Here's why. . It's usually a low rent coffee/ doughnut place. We have one called "The Donut Nook" bunch of 65+ people gather in the morning for c&d and probably spend 2-4 hours chatting then off to whatever.

Day olds sell fast and the coffee is pretty fair. I'm surprised it's still in operation after the pandemic.....

Old 11-10-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

I also forgot to mention that one "senior center" isn't designated as such. Here's why. . It's usually a low rent coffee/ doughnut place. We have one called "The Donut Nook" bunch of 65+ people gather in the morning for c&d and probably spend 2-4 hours chatting then off to whatever.

Day olds sell fast and the coffee is pretty fair. I'm surprised it's still in operation after the pandemic.....
I think this is wonderful!! 65+ people, amazing and such a great opportunity! What size town or city is this taking place in? I've heard others mention such gatherings.....I wonder how one finds out about these gathering places.....I suppose by word-of-mouth thru other people.....

(MacDonald's has been mentioned as one gathering place)

Old 11-10-2021, 04:51 PM

404 posts, read 381,801 times
Thanks for asking. I could have wrote this post. This is EXACTLY what I have been looking into. I'm looking for Senior Centers that focus, at least in part, on younger, active retirees.

The best one I stumbled upon is Jonesborough TN. Activities listed in their calendar included such things as white water rafting and fly fishing! Not your traditional ballroom dancing and MahJong (not that there is anything wrong with those!)

Other cities that seemed to have more active Senior Centers included Simpsonville and Mauldin SC. Possibly Spartanburg SC.

I really like the idea of 55+ for the activities (I love staying busy and active) but there are some downsides, and hubby may not go for that. I'm doing my research on more active Senior Centers as an alternative and possible compromise. Looking forward to the responses here.

Old 11-10-2021, 05:14 PM

I read that wrong, I thought you were saying that 65+ number of people gathered together for donuts and coffee. I thought that was such a great number of people.

Still wonderful though! - even though you were saying it's people of age 65 and older who are gathering together.....and not 65 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement